Power Efficient Backend
(2015-01-30, 23:16)humtopf Wrote: Hi for cases which can harvest low profile gpu check

streacom F7C
wesena ITX5
Inter-Tech Mini ITX-E-i7

grtz Humtopf

The streacom is one I actually have on my list of possibilities Big Grin
(2015-01-30, 23:17)szolsztor Wrote: In regards to the backend, if I wanted to record TV and cut out the commericals, what would be a decent build for that? MOBO+CPU+PSU?

I would want at least an i3 or an i5 level computer for headroom. How many tuners are you talking about total?

Quote:And what software is required? I am assuming tvheadend doesn't do this natively for you...

http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_recording_software

Quote:(with regards to Live TV on the frontend, could I not timeshift Live TV at the backend about 1 minute and pre-empt that? - sorry if this is a daft question Big Grin)

Normally all that sort of processing (aka commercial cutting and re-encoding) is done when the program you scheduled to record is done. It is not doing it to the stream, just a file cut out of the stream.

Maybe one of the backends can though, I only use the Tvheadend one.

(2015-01-30, 23:54)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2015-01-30, 23:17)szolsztor Wrote: In regards to the backend, if I wanted to record TV and cut out the commericals, what would be a decent build for that? MOBO+CPU+PSU?

I would want at least an i3 or an i5 level computer for headroom. How many tuners are you talking about total?

Quote:And what software is required? I am assuming tvheadend doesn't do this natively for you...

http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_recording_software

Quote:(with regards to Live TV on the frontend, could I not timeshift Live TV at the backend about 1 minute and pre-empt that? - sorry if this is a daft question Big Grin)

Normally all that sort of processing (aka commercial cutting and re-encoding) is done when the program you scheduled to record is done. It is not doing it to the stream, just a file cut out of the stream.

Maybe one of the backends can though, I only use the Tvheadend one.

I will probably have 1 dual tuner or 1 quad tuner, more than likely 1 dual tuner.
Oh, well then I bet an i3 would work. Or something AMD (I am less knowledge about AMD because they are bad in HTPCs on average).

- Points to consider so far...

1) H264 live TV that will in all likely hood not take up a lot of HDD space.
2) Stay away from most Android boxes on the front end if you want quality deinterlacing
3) Have you actually asked yourself how much Live TV your actually going to watch, as its fast going the way of the Dodo ?
4) I would personally get a Chromebox and run Openelec on it with the TVHeadend server add-on for Openelec and the Kodi client and not even worry about commercial editing. 30 second skips on the remote is not that painful. Its a fast media box, with the best picture quality and will just work with minimal setup. Plug in a NAS or HDD and you go to go. Smile

no one mentioned the Wetek
(2015-01-31, 12:56)danfloss Wrote: no one mentioned the Wetek

wrxtasy did last page

After more reading I am thinking about getting a HP Microserver for the backend, its a good price and requires little work.

Or going with CFI-A7879 (http://www.mini-itx.com/store/~CFI-A7879) with my own mobo+cpu with ESXi and VM's with DirectPath I/O

I dont really mind the commercials in the recordings, so only want enough power to push the streams on to the network and record/file share (possibly have torrent/transmission running too)

For a front-end, if my rpi or Fire TV dont do the job I do like the look of this case: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...=CA-069-AK with a thin mITX

Anyone have any experience of using ESXi with DirectPath for backends? or the CFI-A7879 ?

I am pushing more towards the HP Microserver Gen7 as the Gen8's look ugly. Can the N54L's mobo be upgraded with a mITX mobo or is it custom?
Hi,

I was also planning on building a HTPC using AsRock Q1900-ITX.

Can anyone confirm if it is able to bitstream HD audio without issues?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Power Efficient Backend0