• 2(current)
PBS ThinkTV.org Video Addon
(2015-02-06, 21:43)alpha_male Wrote: Another strange thing: Subtitling worked with a Nova episode, but not with any Frontline or American Experience ones.

Anyway, I looked for the Debug Logging feature under Settings but didn't find it anywhere. Sorry to be such an inconvenience, but could you kindly point me to the right direction, please?
You need to enable Settings->System->Debugging->Enable Debug Logging . I can't remember if you need to enable Settings Level to "Advanced" to be able to see that setting or not. You can see what your Setting Level is at the top of the Settings->System screen. If you need to set it to "Advanced" you'll need to find out how (and if) you can set it in your skin - I need to go to Confluence to set it initially, then go back to my skin, because my skin doesn't support it.

Anyway, I'm guessing that this is timing related because I did a bit of a cheat to enable subtitles. I'm too lazy to mess with the player and the correct way to fix this issue is only available in Helix and I really don't want to support different Kodi versions. I'll probably end up making the subtitle wait delay configurable in addon settings.

Just to be sure, you are running V1.0.10?
Yes, I'm running 1.0.10.

Actually, after several tweaks, I just gave up on the addon displaying subs :-(

Good news is that after doing a system restore containing Gotham 13.2 instead of Helix 14.1, I was able to make *all* subs work -- both for your ThinkTV and Smithsonian addons!

What I did, since there was no way to turn subs on running Gotham 13.2, was to recreate the settings.xml file inside my userdata/addon_data folder. And voila! They all work now!

Will stick with Gotham for now until I can find a way to make subs work in Helix 14.1.

Thanks again for the quick reply, T1M. You're the best!
@learningit,

Looks like link to ThinkTV's broken.
(2015-02-09, 16:38)alpha_male Wrote: @learningit,

Looks like link to ThinkTV's broken.

Small website change, fixed version is V1.0.11 available in my git:

https://github.com/learningit/plugin.video.thinktv/
Got it, and it's working again. Thank you!
Minimal Caching and Video Quality Setting

Is the stream from ThinkTV.org available in standard definition or just high definition? The programs I'm watching pause a lot to fill the cache. My Internet DSL connection is relatively slow at about 3 megabits per second.

In my /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml file, I have:
Code:
<cachemembuffersize>31457280</cachemembuffersize>
and
Code:
<readbufferfactor>1.3</readbufferfactor>

I'm not sure that the addon is taking advantage of the cache available. If I pause the feed, the data stream continues for a few tens of seconds at the most. Then (as indicated by the light emitting diode on my WiPi module) it stops. It won't resume until I start playing the program again. Also, while paused, the progress/time elapsed bar never indicates that there is any unwatched cache.

OpenELEC version 5.0.0
PBS ThinkTV.org version 1.0.11
Charles
The addon itself doesn't know anything about caching. The Kodi player handles all that automatically. I think that the behaviour that you're seeing is normal for a .m3u8 file - which the HD (720p) content uses, on a slow link. There is some SD content using .mp4 files - try "Baking With Julia" to see if you still get buffering with SD.
If you still have buffering with SD / mp4, there's probably not much I can do to fix your problem, a slow link is a slow link. I assume that you're not using a proxy - if you are, you may want to try another.

UPDATE:try version 1.0.12 allows selection of SD / HD video. Try from my git: https://github.com/learningit/plugin.video.thinktv/
I downloaded plugin.video.thinktv-master.zip file (Version 1.0.12 Added SD/HD video choice) from github and tried to install it. I received the error message:

Addon does not have the correct structure.
Charles
(2015-02-09, 23:07)cmbr Wrote: I downloaded plugin.video.thinktv-master.zip file (Version 1.0.12 Added SD/HD video choice) from github and tried to install it. I received the error message:

Addon does not have the correct structure.

Uninstall the old addon first. Reboot Kodi. Install the new addon.
Okay, I'm now running on version 1.0.12. I set the addon to standard definition (SD) and it's working well. There are no pauses in playback.

It is interesting that the data stream stops as soon as I pause the program. Either the cache is filled or not in use. As before, there is no visual indication that anything is being stored in the cache. In any case, that is not affecting the playback. The stream now plays continuously even with my slow Internet connection.
Charles
(2015-02-10, 00:55)cmbr Wrote: Okay, I'm now running on version 1.0.12. I set the addon to standard definition (SD) and it's working well. There are no pauses in playback.

It is interesting that the data stream stops as soon as I pause the program. Either the cache is filled or not in use. As before, there is no visual indication that anything is being stored in the cache. In any case, that is not affecting the playback. The stream now plays continuously even with my slow Internet connection.
m3u8 files behave like that in my experience. Your problem is a slow link. In HD the stream averages 3.3Mbps.
Thumbs Up 
(2015-02-10, 01:08)learningit Wrote: m3u8 files behave like that in my experience. Your problem is a slow link. In HD the stream is averages 3.3Mbps.
I can never attain that speed on my telephone company DSL line so I'm constrained to the standard definition streams. It's working, though.
Charles
Is it possible to display the program and episode's info like description and date aired as one goes through the list of programs and episodes? The old PBS add-on did this and it was nice to read before watching.

Many, many thanks for this add-on. It works great. With the old PBS add-on, I couldn't watch the 720p stream because it was constantly buffering. But this add-on works great with the 720p streaming.

EDIT: I haven't tried v1.0.12 yet and noticed a number of updates since release. I will try it now.
(2015-02-10, 23:52)alexf1852 Wrote: Is it possible to display the program and episode's info like description and date aired as one goes through the list of programs and episodes? The old PBS add-on did this and it was nice to read before watching.
Programs are organized into Full Episodes, Clips and Previews. The file list has plot description and duration where the website has it. Date aired doesn't appear to be available.
Version 1.0.13 is available in my git: https://github.com/learningit/plugin.video.thinktv/
I added in PBS Kids videos to this version. Let me know if this works for you, I will update the version in the kodi.org repo if it works well.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PBS ThinkTV.org Video Addon6