H265 + Live Tv: i3-4130T or android box?
Hi guys, i'm looking for a setup to run HEVC medias and (mainly) watch live tv.

With latest intel's linux drivers update, my 3-4130T powered NAS with its intel HD4400 can play hevc videos without (i hope) problems...

i would use fedora because i would like to continue use my nas also as a "Red Hat Based" linux Server.

I could also buy an android based mini pc, but i read in this forum that is not the ideal if someone is looking for good video quality (for example good deinterlacing on live tv)

Any advice?

Thanks
No Intel GPUs have what I would consider full and proper HEVC decoding today. In fact every computer GPU on the planet other than the new GTX 960 only does hybrid HEVC decode- aka the kind where the CPU does a lot of the work. All the next generation of Intel stuff should give us true HEVC decode. I personally am waiting for Nvidia to drop that capability to a non-gaming GPU, maybe in the fall.

With that said, I don't see a problem with throwing a CPU at the problem for now. If it plays it plays, and I don't think we will see HEVC files some i5 NUC can't play unless it is encoded poorly (and most likely even the i3 models). So that is my advice- throw a real CPU at it. I would just get a i3/i5 NUC/Chomebox and call it a day. Or wait for the next generation of hardware if you can.

Avoid Android for LiveTV. It doesn't deinterlace so it is going to look rough. Android+Kodi is only for those with limited needs.

Don't the new Intel Windows drivers use Hybrid VPU/GPU compute rather than VPU/CPU compute on higher end Intel GPUs (I though the hybrid was using the VPU for the bits of HEVC that are similar enough to AVC to be done that way, with the additional processing offloaded to shaders/EUs?)
(2015-01-31, 19:09)noggin Wrote: Don't the new Intel Windows drivers use Hybrid VPU/GPU compute rather than VPU/CPU compute on higher end Intel GPUs (I though the hybrid was using the VPU for the bits of HEVC that are similar enough to AVC to be done that way, with the additional processing offloaded to shaders/EUs?)

I think so, but I will be honest noggin I haven't thrown Windows on something to test. I think the high-end stuff can even do 10 bit, which is the line for me to say something has true HEVC support. Of course OP wants Linux, and I think in Linux it is almost all CPU right? For now at least.

Of course the real deal is that GTX 960, because not only is it full GPU support but you know with Nvidia we will get that in VDPAU. I can't WAIT until they put that in a card that doesn't need the six pin connector. I think that is when we get on first taste of full decode on the Linux side in a HTPC without relying on some sort of dedicated decoder chip like an ARM box will use. I am skeptical about those ARM HEVC decoders until I test them personally. I mean on paper a Crystal HD should play everything in 1080p land but oh boy do I have some test clips with high references frames that make it fall apart. When we can run a poorly encoded HEVC file through the GPU/SoC and it still plays is when we are "there."

Thanks for answered. It's so sad to read that a powerful android mini pc (powered by rk3288, for example) cannot deinterlace live tv
(2015-01-31, 19:22)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2015-01-31, 19:09)noggin Wrote: Don't the new Intel Windows drivers use Hybrid VPU/GPU compute rather than VPU/CPU compute on higher end Intel GPUs (I though the hybrid was using the VPU for the bits of HEVC that are similar enough to AVC to be done that way, with the additional processing offloaded to shaders/EUs?)

I think so, but I will be honest noggin I haven't thrown Windows on something to test. I think the high-end stuff can even do 10 bit, which is the line for me to say something has true HEVC support. Of course OP wants Linux, and I think in Linux it is almost all CPU right? For now at least.

Of course the real deal is that GTX 960, because not only is it full GPU support but you know with Nvidia we will get that in VDPAU. I can't WAIT until they put that in a card that doesn't need the six pin connector. I think that is when we get on first taste of full decode on the Linux side in a HTPC without relying on some sort of dedicated decoder chip like an ARM box will use. I am skeptical about those ARM HEVC decoders until I test them personally. I mean on paper a Crystal HD should play everything in 1080p land but oh boy do I have some test clips with high references frames that make it fall apart. When we can run a poorly encoded HEVC file through the GPU/SoC and it still plays is when we are "there."

The latest Windows drivers support 10 bit HEVC on Broadwell only. Haskell is 8bit.

I'm waiting for 2160/60p 10 bit HEVC hardware decode and HDMI 2.0 on a box before I spend any real money.
About android and deinterlacing live tv, here i found an initial step adding bob deinterlace function
Bob is the very minimum required to get 50i to 50p or 60i to 60p - MCDI or MADI are significantly better.
(2015-01-31, 19:56)noggin Wrote: Bob is the very minimum required to get 50i to 50p or 60i to 60p - MCDI or MADI are significantly better.

sure, but it means that an initial approach to problem is starting...
(2015-01-31, 19:59)homer314 Wrote:
(2015-01-31, 19:56)noggin Wrote: Bob is the very minimum required to get 50i to 50p or 60i to 60p - MCDI or MADI are significantly better.

sure, but it means that an initial approach to problem is starting...
Yep - but via a route that can't really do much else if I read the approach correctly? It could possibly do a dynamic Bob / Weave switch as well?
(2015-01-31, 19:59)homer314 Wrote: sure, but it means that an initial approach to problem is starting...

The solution to interlacing problems is always the same- real hardware support. Until we get that, refresh rate matching (which is honestly the biggest deal to me), and HD audio support Android is a second-class HTPC platform. Right now we have companies who are making a living filling those niches, but honestly they often hit a price point where a Chromebox is just much better. If call yourself a videophile a Chromebox is the floor of acceptable.

(2015-01-31, 20:15)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2015-01-31, 19:59)homer314 Wrote: sure, but it means that an initial approach to problem is starting...

The solution to interlacing problems is always the same- real hardware support. Until we get that, refresh rate matching (which is honestly the biggest deal to me), and HD audio support Android is a second-class HTPC platform. Right now we have companies who are making a living filling those niches, but honestly they often hit a price point where a Chromebox is just much better. If call yourself a videophile a Chromebox is the floor of acceptable.

Exactly.
Agreed.

The Intel 2955/2957U Haswell based Celerons, really have set a new benchmark for the price paid for any pure Kodi media Box.

(2015-02-01, 10:08)wrxtasy Wrote: Agreed.

The Intel 2955/2957U Haswell based Celerons, really have set a new benchmark for the price paid for any pure Kodi media Box.

Thanks for answers. Chromeboxes are great for sure, but i see no difference between their hardware and my i3-4310T diy powered nas in terms of media reproduction, so i'll give my hardware a try Smile
(2015-02-01, 16:45)homer314 Wrote:
(2015-02-01, 10:08)wrxtasy Wrote: Agreed.

Thanks for answers. Chromeboxes are great for sure, but i se no difference between their hardware and my i3-4310T diy powered nas in terms of media reproduction, so i'll give my hardware a try Smile

It certainly shouldn't perform less well than a 2955U Celeron.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
H265 + Live Tv: i3-4130T or android box?0