Kodi's library system is too buggy
All the annoying issues I've started seeing only started after I upgraded to Kodi.

My first issue was it taking forever to to apply filters to my movie library. It takes some 20-30 seconds just to bring up the filter menu.

Now I found a new issue.

My media is kept on a NAS and accessed via SMB shares. I also keep my database on the NAS as a MySQL database but have tested creating a local database and it made no difference with the filter issue I saw. I have over 800 movies in my movie library. Shows are not affected by the filter menu issue. This issue is present on both my windows based HTPC and android tablet.

I access through 1 share that has directories for movies, shows, and mini-series. Each subdirectory is added as a source so I can specify different scrapers. Pretty straight forward.

So the new issue I found was when I added a source in the same SMB share for temporary stuff. This stuff I don't want to be permenent in the library so I specified no scraper to scan this source.

Now, when Kodi scans my library, it takes 10 minutes to do a task that used to only take 15 - 20 seconds. This is a pretty significant change.

It happened before, but i didn't put my finger on what the cause was because I was playing around with a lot of changes. When it happened, I uninstalled and re-installed Kodi from scratch and rebuilt all the databases. After I added in my normal sources, it was working like expected, less the filter menu delay issue.

I honestly believe whatever changes were made in Kodi for database/library handling really messed up something as I did not have any of these issues on v13.
Alright, I know this sounds like more of like a complaining post, but I really need some help with this.

Even when I remove the source that triggers the library scan problem, the problem doesn't go away. I really don't want to have to re-install Kodi to fix this issue again.
You might consider providing a debug_log (wiki) as a first step.
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
(2015-02-01, 16:58)Fry7 Wrote: You might consider providing a debug_log (wiki) as a first step.

I have one now. Shows a lot of SMB conflicts, so I'm running another with fresh sources where I do not specify the username and password. Didn't make any difference to the scanning issue.

Current log shows it took ~18 minutes from startup to when it finished it's scan. Normally, this has only taken 30 seconds.

Edit: Just made another log using sources without username and password specified and I'm still seeing the entries about the conflict in the log. I don't know if this is what is causing the issue or not.
Looks like there are problems with the way you connect to your share.

As far as I can see, your local user on that Win7 machine is named 'gaw', Kodi is also using this username in order to connect to '\\TALON\Qmultimedia' which is your SMB-NAS, I assume.

So check this please:
- on the NAS, does 'gaw' have the same credentials as on your HTPC?
- are there other clients inside your LAN that also use the 'gaw'-username?
- when you startup Kodi, are there any other connections to your NAS at this time (try 'net use' inside a cmd to find out)?
- could you try to create a dummy user, f.e 'kodi', on your NAS, give him the appropriate rights for your share and manipulate your passwords.xml to use this user instead?
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
(2015-02-01, 18:12)Fry7 Wrote: Looks like there are problems with the way you connect to your share.

As far as I can see, your local user on that Win7 machine is named 'gaw', Kodi is also using this username in order to connect to '\\TALON\Qmultimedia' which is your SMB-NAS, I assume.

So check this please:
- on the NAS, does 'gaw' have the same credentials as on your HTPC?
- are there other clients inside your LAN that also use the 'gaw'-username?
- when you startup Kodi, are there any other connections to your NAS at this time (try 'net use' inside a cmd to find out)?
- could you try to create a dummy user, f.e 'kodi', on your NAS, give him the appropriate rights for your share and manipulate your passwords.xml to use this user instead?

Yes, I use a common username and password for devices within my house. The only other connection is a mapped drive to the same SMB share. I don't use this mapping as a source within Kodi because it doesn't work well with shared databases. It's just there so I can access my stuff outside Kodi.

But if you noticed, when I add in the sources for Movies, Shows, and Mini-Series, w/ scrapper. Everything works fine. It's only after I add in a source for "New" w/out scrapper, scanning the library dies. All these directories are located with the /qmultimedia share.

Edit: Oh, this was good. I deleted the Password.xml which only had an entry for the /new share and fired up Kodi. It was able to run through the library in less than 30 seconds. So my question is why it did this in the first place. I set up that source exactly like the others, just without a scrapper. And even though the library wasn't updating right, I was still able to access the source and watch videos I had in it. I don't get it.

Just guessing, but I'm thinking Kodi uses the windows credentials if present and if the username is also specified within Kodi, it generates the conflict. Seems odd that it would have such a substantial hit in performance.
I assume that's a conflict triggered by the fact that you use this said share as a mapped drive with your local credentials passed through by Windows itself and on the other hand saying Kodi to access the exact same SMB-share (even if it's a subfolder within this share) using the same credentials.

On the OS-side (Win NT here) this would mean to access one and the same share within one and the same session TWO times using different credentials:
1. your mapped share that uses 'COMPUTERNAME\gaw' with your present Windows password
2. Kodi trying to access the exact same share, probably just using 'gaw', also with the correct password

It's a Windows-thingy:
Quote:System Error 1219:
Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

That's why I suggested to use a new dummy user only for accessing your shares, this way there wouldn't occur these conflicts...
Bye,
Fry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi's library system is too buggy1