f.lux integration
Hi all,

f.lux seems to be quite popular now but if you've not heard of it, here's a link: https://justgetflux.com

It's a great piece of software that I use on all of my devices including my phone, laptop, work computer and tablet. It just dawned on me that whenever I plug my laptop into my TV via HDMI, I essentially have it on my TV too, which brings me to my point.

Is it possible that f.lux could be integrated into Kodi? f.lux is available on Windows, iOS and Linux - when using my laptop (running Windows) I always have f.lux running in the background so it runs with Kodi automatically. However, my HTPC runs on Linux (OpenELEC) and I haven't found any way of installing f.lux on it.

Given the apparent health benefits of using f.lux I think it would be great if Kodi could support this natively or provide support through a program or add-on.

Please let me know what you think of this idea. Cheers.
I use this on my laptops and phones, but do you really think it makes sense on a TV/Projector where you watch videos ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Personally, I do. You use this function on laptop/phone screens so why wouldn't you want to on a TV screen?

I agree there should be an option to toggle this in instances where you're watching something where a colour overlay would affect the appreciation of the video.
You can achieve something similar by increasing the Reds and decreasing the blue in your tvs color settings, I do this on my master bedroom tv. In fact, many "Movie" picture settings do this for you
Doesn't F.Lux have a 'Movie Mode' for the EXACT reason that it being enabled while consuming media F.Lux isn't useful?

Not to mention, color temperature of the image is PART of the program you're watching, like, artistically. Even if you're watching it at noon, the sun rising on Jurassic Park in the morning after the fences failed is supposed to be all warm and orange. The Star Destroyer swooping in over that rebel ship is supposed to be cool colored even if you're watching it at midnight. Color temperature in any given scene is one of the keys of the art of film making.
F.lux on XBMC would be awesome. I watch videos on my phone with it enabled all the time. For the person who just wants to watch reruns or fall asleep to tv (many do) and prefers to relax their eyes, this would be a godsend. I am keenly aware I am sacrificing "artistic" integrity, my relaxed eyes don't care though Wink

Actually this just led me down the f.lux for Linux (Crystalbuntu) path, thanks!
(2015-02-01, 07:53)702Joebroke Wrote: You can achieve something similar by increasing the Reds and decreasing the blue in your tvs color settings, I do this on my master bedroom tv. In fact, many "Movie" picture settings do this for you

I hadn't given much thought to this method but I'll give it a go, thanks. My TV is pretty terrible though (as in it might not even support multiple/customisable viewing modes for all I know) and I'd still love f.lux support if possible as you just need to configure it once and you can forget about it (unless you need to toggle it on/off of course).

(2015-02-01, 08:05)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Doesn't F.Lux have a 'Movie Mode' for the EXACT reason that it being enabled while consuming media F.Lux isn't useful?

Not to mention, color temperature of the image is PART of the program you're watching, like, artistically. Even if you're watching it at noon, the sun rising on Jurassic Park in the morning after the fences failed is supposed to be all warm and orange. The Star Destroyer swooping in over that rebel ship is supposed to be cool colored even if you're watching it at midnight. Color temperature in any given scene is one of the keys of the art of film making.

Incorrect. f.lux has a temporary disable mode and a movie mode. The disable mode is utilised when doing colour-sensitive work and the movie mode is to provide a half-way point between having f.lux enabled and disabled.

I appreciate that colour is important for some types of media but I'd argue the point that it's always a part of whatever I'm watching. In your examples, you may well want to appreciate the colours fully in a film like Jurassic Park - do I really need to do this when watching a TV series such as Modern Family or Workaholics? Personally, I don't. If you think this wouldn't be a useful feature then don't use it - it doesn't mean that others wouldn't appreciate the value in this, as is proven in the below post.

(2015-02-01, 08:29)702Joebroke Wrote: F.lux on XBMC would be awesome. I watch videos on my phone with it enabled all the time. For the person who just wants to watch reruns or fall asleep to tv (many do) and prefers to relax their eyes, this would be a godsend. I am keenly aware I am sacrificing "artistic" integrity, my relaxed eyes don't care though Wink

Actually this just led me down the f.lux for Linux (Crystalbuntu) path, thanks!

Did you have any success in getting this to work? I'm using OpenELEC and I'm more than happy to set this up myself if it's possible, I just have no idea where to start.

Cheers all.
Is there any way to make kodi send a "movie mode" command to f.lux when we play a movie (and vice versa, "normal mode" command when movie is stopped) ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
f.lux integration0