Apple tv 2 - disappointed
Hi everyone,

2 days ago I bought myself a second handed ATV2. It was a great bargain and my main intention is to sell it, but in the meanwhile I would like to use it for a few weeks.

I have to admit I had big expectations on it, according to some youtube videos I saw and the average price of these gadgets on eBay. However, after using it for 2 days, I must say I'm very disappointed with the device and honestly I don't understand what most people see on ATV2...

It is extremely slow, for some reason 90% of the steams in add-ons such as sports devil do not work, some of them actually crash the ATV, and a lot of times kodi will shut down on its own (due to lack of RAM, I assume). Sometimes when I go back to kodi I am able to stream the movie I want but I tried to open The Lord of The Rings in HD in 2 different add ons (3h movie) and I realized it will be impossible to watch because kodi shuts down every time... Also, when playing HD content, the image doesn't seem that fluid, it seems there are a few breaks while it's being played.

I wonder what your thoughts are on this topic, and if there is anything I can do to improve ATV 2 performance (maybe deleting a few add ons? I have something like 30 installed)

Is there any kind of portable player with better performance than ATV 2?

Cheers!
You want plugins to always work and the GUI to always be snappy?

Get a Chromebox and put Openelec on there.

I use an Apple TV 1 for basic stuff, it's good for that

but for addon's & seamless menus and function I use a dedicated PC I built using old parts I had
-it's a perfect platform for kodi/xbmc and everything seems to work straight away (cinema experience etc)
( with a solid state hard drive it's only 23 seconds boot up to working etc)

for you appletv 2 try a 720p skin & don't mess to much with addon's
(I wasted so much time trying to get stuff to work on my appleTV 1 )
Pretty much any portable player is going to be better than the apple tv 2, including the apple tv1. Raspberry Pi would be your cheapest option and would be a big improvement. Fire tv(box or stick) would do everything the atv2 can do and better as would google's android tv or the upcoming razor box. Chromebox will blow it away in performance. At this time no one should be buying a apple tv for xbmc unless you get it for 20$ or less. There are just to many better options out there.
According to the person I sold my fire TV stick (buying for his relative cuz of cost), he told me he had an Apple TV 2 and a fire TV box running xbmc at home.

He said Apple TV 2 is soooo slow and takes too long for the menu and icons to show up.

His fire TV box is "snappy" and blazes through the menu with icons popping up almost instantly.

I have to agree you, I don't see why anybody would buy an apple tv2 unless they were locked down to the apple ecosystem or already had an existing appletv2 and decided to install Kodi.

Later he told me, after installing xbmc of the stick, it was significantly faster than the Apple TV 2.

Apple stuff is overpriced for what you get.
Thank you everyone for the replies and the tips, as I said I was planning to use it for a few weeks but now I'm going to sell it right away. Good thing I can still make some profit out of this garbish and buy a decent media player.

Cheers!
Mmm? Have you guys missed Kodi team announcement?
Kodi is officially dropping support for Apple TV 2 after 14.1 final. So, I highly recommend you get rid of that Apple TV ASAP, and hope that you can still sell it at a good price. Apple TV 2 + Kodi is pretty much dead

http://kodi.tv/farewell-to-future-appletv2-development/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple tv 2 - disappointed0