• 198(current)
Release Arctic: Zephyr
Think I have just sorted it as just received an auto update of the AZ skin....now 2.3.10

Had to tick the box in Skin Settings > Home for "Replace widget fanart with background"

I didn't need to have that ticked previously

I also have now and previously had "Only display widgets when pressing up " ticked

seems OK again now...

can you expand on your comment " It shouldn't be necessary any more in Krypton as containers should automatically refresh when certain conditions occur."

can you give some insight as to what conditions ?

thanks and cheers

and finally a big thank for such a great skin and your continued support for it...much appreciated
@pusb87 - glad you figured it out. I'm not sure what all the refresh conditions are, but I know that after I finish watching a movie that was started from a widget it will refresh when the movie ends and I go back to the home screen -- my guess is that they get refreshed when you have watched enough for the movie to be marked as watched.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
Hi - after the latest update to AZ today, my Vertical (home menu style) widgets seem to be limited to 10 items... previously, my widgets for Trakt TV Collection and Movie Watchlist would show every item in the list, I could just scroll right to see them all... now I only get the first 10 items listed... the lack of the 'Allow widget reloading' option might take some getting used to, understanding what triggers a refresh, but will give it a go - as long as I can view more than 10 shows/movies in my menu widgets... JurialMunkey - was the limit on widget items set on purpose for some reason? thanks...
(2017-05-18, 11:11)pusb87 Wrote:
(2017-05-18, 08:18)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2017-05-18, 07:42)Ddmorris1971 Wrote: Noticed an update on 5/18/2017
the option to have widgets refresh or not removed from skin settings. Did it move? If it was just cut, please consider keeping it. Great feature and I really liked having the option to set widgets to refresh.
Thanks for awesome skin
It was removed.

It shouldn't be necessary any more in Krypton as containers should automatically refresh when certain conditions occur.

It also causes confusion because people think that if its turned off then the widgets will never refresh which is not the case -- all it does is force the widgets to refresh every single time you enter the home screen (or if you have multiple different widgets, every time you change between widgets).

The constant refreshing puts a lot of strain on things if you use an internet based video addon (e.g. youtube) - its particularly bad for youtube, because the public api keys that ship with the youtube add-on can only handle a limited amount of requests a day and this will significantly increase those requests.

If you have problems with widgets not refreshing properly, then you can always map a key/button/menu-shortcut to the ReloadSkin() command as that will force the widgets to refresh.
did you see my fairly recent post (#229) in the bug thread where i wrote

"Im reluctant to call this a bug but i've read on this Kodi forum somewhere that you do not need to allow widget reloading with Kodi 17.

However, if i disable it i find that my custom backgrounds for main menu items are "randomly" changed to other pictures from elsewhere..i know not where !
"

Thanks for the quick explanation. Makes sense to me. I guess the real problem is that when it was set to refresh, the entire 1st page of an Internet widget would populate the widget however, , with it being disabled, it seems to have limited the items in the list to a smaller finite number. Perhaps unintentionally. I'm not so worried about the actual refresh but the number of movies available in the list is cut off (only in movies). TV Shows shows everything available in even a long list of TV shows. Could this be a bug?
Thanks
(2017-05-18, 21:37)albe Wrote: Hi - after the latest update to AZ today, my Vertical (home menu style) widgets seem to be limited to 10 items... previously, my widgets for Trakt TV Collection and Movie Watchlist would show every item in the list, I could just scroll right to see them all... now I only get the first 10 items listed... the lack of the 'Allow widget reloading' option might take some getting used to, understanding what triggers a refresh, but will give it a go - as long as I can view more than 10 shows/movies in my menu widgets... JurialMunkey - was the limit on widget items set on purpose for some reason? thanks...
(2017-05-18, 23:05)Ddmorris1971 Wrote: Thanks for the quick explanation. Makes sense to me. I guess the real problem is that when it was set to refresh, the entire 1st page of an Internet widget would populate the widget however, , with it being disabled, it seems to have limited the items in the list to a smaller finite number. Perhaps unintentionally. I'm not so worried about the actual refresh but the number of movies available in the list is cut off (only in movies). TV Shows shows everything available in even a long list of TV shows. Could this be a bug?
Thanks

Replying to both of you as it is essentially the same question.

There has always been a limit of 10 items per widget (to help speed up widget loading). Looking at my code for the old refreshing widgets, I may have unintentionally/accidentally removed that limit somewhere along the line (and if I did it intentionally then I can't remember doing it ha!). That was why you were able to have more than 10 items previously with refreshing turned on -- so, in fact, old way that wasn't limited is actually the bug.

You can change the widget limits though.
In a text editor open up: skin.arctic.zephyr/shortcuts/template.xml
Look for these lines. There will be three (one for each home menu type: featured/classic/vertical)
Code:
<content limit="10" target="$SKINSHORTCUTS[target]">$SKINSHORTCUTS[content]</content>

Change the value for limit="10" to whatever you want (or remove the limit="10" entirely if you want unlimited.
Save the file and restart kodi.
If they are still limited to 10, then skinshortcuts has probably not rebuilt the widgets.
You can force skinshortcuts to rebuild them by going to the home customisation menu in skin settings and re-selecting a widget for one of the menu items and then going back to the home screen.

For a future version I'm going to work out a way to have an option to change the limit in the skin.
(2017-05-19, 05:09)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2017-05-18, 21:37)albe Wrote: Hi - after the latest update to AZ today, my Vertical (home menu style) widgets seem to be limited to 10 items... previously, my widgets for Trakt TV Collection and Movie Watchlist would show every item in the list, I could just scroll right to see them all... now I only get the first 10 items listed... the lack of the 'Allow widget reloading' option might take some getting used to, understanding what triggers a refresh, but will give it a go - as long as I can view more than 10 shows/movies in my menu widgets... JurialMunkey - was the limit on widget items set on purpose for some reason? thanks...
(2017-05-18, 23:05)Ddmorris1971 Wrote: Thanks for the quick explanation. Makes sense to me. I guess the real problem is that when it was set to refresh, the entire 1st page of an Internet widget would populate the widget however, , with it being disabled, it seems to have limited the items in the list to a smaller finite number. Perhaps unintentionally. I'm not so worried about the actual refresh but the number of movies available in the list is cut off (only in movies). TV Shows shows everything available in even a long list of TV shows. Could this be a bug?
Thanks

Replying to both of you as it is essentially the same question.

There has always been a limit of 10 items per widget (to help speed up widget loading). Looking at my code for the old refreshing widgets, I may have unintentionally/accidentally removed that limit somewhere along the line (and if I did it intentionally then I can't remember doing it ha!). That was why you were able to have more than 10 items previously with refreshing turned on -- so, in fact, old way that wasn't limited is actually the bug.

You can change the widget limits though.
In a text editor open up: skin.arctic.zephyr/shortcuts/template.xml
Look for these lines. There will be three (one for each home menu type: featured/classic/vertical)
Code:
<content limit="10" target="$SKINSHORTCUTS[target]">$SKINSHORTCUTS[content]</content>

Change the value for limit="10" to whatever you want (or remove the limit="10" entirely if you want unlimited.
Save the file and restart kodi.
If they are still limited to 10, then skinshortcuts has probably not rebuilt the widgets.
You can force skinshortcuts to rebuild them by going to the home customisation menu in skin settings and re-selecting a widget for one of the menu items and then going back to the home screen.

For a future version I'm going to work out a way to have an option to change the limit in the skin.

First post! n00b to all that is Kodi but felt the need to post because AZ is the best skin no doubt!

I'm on the same boat with the other 2 about the preview limit. That would be fantastic to add the option to change the limit in the skin. Thanks!
@albe, @Ddmorris1971, @RCinDC -- Actually, just figured out a really simple solution to this. There is an update on the github version that will allow you to set the widget number limit in Skin Settings > Home > Limit number of items in widget
Options are 10 (Default), 25, 50 or Unlimited.

Let me know if other options are needed.

It will be a few weeks before it makes it way to the official repo version as I only just sent out an update -- generally the policy is to wait at least a fortnight between pull requests on official repo. But you can get the update now from the github link on first post.
Thanks for the info regarding the Limit JurialMunkey... much appreciated... an option to change this would be a nice to have so any changes I make manually don't get over written by updates, especially as friends and family have the same setup as I do and manual maintenance can be a bit of a pain Wink really do appreciate the update on github, and for all your great work on the best skin... cheers
(2017-05-18, 17:51)jurialmunkey Wrote: @pusb87 - glad you figured it out. I'm not sure what all the refresh conditions are, but I know that after I finish watching a movie that was started from a widget it will refresh when the movie ends and I go back to the home screen -- my guess is that they get refreshed when you have watched enough for the movie to be marked as watched.

Any chance of you putting back the option to 'Allow widgets to reload'?
(2017-05-19, 16:25)number1fan Wrote: Any chance of you putting back the option to 'Allow widgets to reload'?

Why? Under what scenario are they not refreshing properly?
Would it be possible to add multiple widget rows, specifically for the vertical layout ?
For aesthetic purposes, I'd prefer not having to create home menus for every widget.

For example, under the movie home menu, to have multiple movie widget rows (genres, trending, new movies etc.).

Vertical mode with 2 widgets per menu item would make me switch.
@attackkkkkk - That would be quite a lot of work and I don't currently have the time to make such a drastic change.
Hi folks,
just updated to Krypton two days ago. As always your skin is my favorite. Yesterday all was running smooth. Today i started Kodi and your Skin appears with the light background. Can not find the option to switch to dark background. Did i missed an update in which this feature was removed?
Any chance to see weather and settings widgets from fuse neue skin to this one ?
(2017-05-23, 22:44)chrispe Wrote: Any chance to see weather and settings widgets from fuse neue skin to this one ?

Second that :-)
  • 198(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arctic: Zephyr37