Raspberry Pi 1, B (not plus) 1080p lag problem
Some 1080p videos lag or i don't know the correct word in english, but basically it cannot keep the buffer up and stops->continues sometime->stops->etc.
Usually those videos which lag are bluray, 4-6GB size.
Mediainfo program says that the video file has "Overal bit rate of 11.5 Mbps".

I got RP1 B, (not plus).
I'm using smb to share files from my PC, haven't really changed any other settings from the interface, expect disabled rss feed.
PC has gigabit connection and pi has 100 mbit.

My config:

gpu_mem=256
arm_freq=950
core_freq=250
sdram_freq=450
over_voltage=6
force_turbo=0
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

What I have understood from people's comments that the rp1 should handle that without the lag, so am i missing some settings or something? What's the maximum bitrate for the RP1 B?

Edit: Seems that now after the 5.0.1/14.1 update it seems to be working better, it seems that it can handle 7-10.5 Mbps bitrate?
Raw Blu-Rays can be played with Pi1 when set up nicely. This is video bitrate of 40Mb/s, so your files shouldn't be a problem.

First can you try playing a file locally (e.g. copy to sdcard or USB stick)?
If that works (and I suspect it will) then we need to focus on the network. If that fails, then it's not network.
I played a mkv with a bitrate of 80 Mbps yesterday, no lag what so ever.
(2015-02-03, 20:13)popcornmix Wrote: Raw Blu-Rays can be played with Pi1 when set up nicely. This is video bitrate of 40Mb/s, so your files shouldn't be a problem.

First can you try playing a file locally (e.g. copy to sdcard or USB stick)?
If that works (and I suspect it will) then we need to focus on the network. If that fails, then it's not network.

Seems that from usb stick the videos play fine.
How to optimize the network then?
(2015-02-03, 20:44)leripe Wrote: Seems that from usb stick the videos play fine.

Firstly, exactly how is the Pi connected to PC? Through a single switch or router, or through multiple devices?
Can you try swapping cables around, as often a poor quality cable limits speed.
(2015-02-03, 20:51)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-02-03, 20:44)leripe Wrote: Seems that from usb stick the videos play fine.

Firstly, exactly how is the Pi connected to PC? Through a single switch or router, or through multiple devices?
Can you try swapping cables around, as often a poor quality cable limits speed.

Through router, fritz!box 6360, this router seems to measure the speeds of all my lan/wlan connections. It reports gigabit for my pc lan and 100mbit for rpi lan.
Will try swapping cables.
It just shows the connection speed, that is not the same as the attainable throughput.

It is a decent router though.
Both the PC and the RPI are directly connected to the router?
@leripe, good move opening your own thread Smile

If you have a proper 5V/2.0 Amp power supply with a quality thick USB power cord Overclock your RPi a bit harder if you can:

gpu_mem=256
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6
over_voltage_sdram=4
force_turbo=1
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

Also if your TV supports 24p set this:
Kodi > System > Video > Playback > Adjust display refresh rate to match video > On Start/stop

I resisted moving to NFS as I perceived SMB to be more widely used, but when I finally got around to trying it the other day (and it took about 2 minutes to setup) I was amazed at the difference it made.

With non-overclocked Pi and smb I have a blueray rip that will pause regularly due to 100% CPU.

When overclocked and smb, the CPU hovers between 80% and 95%, no pauses.

When overclocked and nfs, the CPU hovers between 60% and 85%, no pauses

These are fairly rough figures from a small test, but give you an idea of the difference it can make. I haven't tested, but I suspect I could use nfs without overclocking, but I don't want to.

Ben
Yes thats correct, some benchmark tests were posted over a year ago over on the Openelec forums:

http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-p...ftp-vs-nfs

(2015-02-04, 04:17)BenH Wrote: I resisted moving to NFS as I perceived SMB to be more widely used, but when I finally got around to trying it the other day (and it took about 2 minutes to setup) I was amazed at the difference it made.

With non-overclocked Pi and smb I have a blueray rip that will pause regularly due to 100% CPU.

When overclocked and smb, the CPU hovers between 80% and 95%, no pauses.

When overclocked and nfs, the CPU hovers between 60% and 85%, no pauses

These are fairly rough figures from a small test, but give you an idea of the difference it can make. I haven't tested, but I suspect I could use nfs without overclocking, but I don't want to.

Ben

Any quick guide for NFS?
Currently sharing stuff from my win8 pc.
Amazing thing the internet, they invented a thing called searching.....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=openelec+nfs+setup#

(2015-02-04, 14:09)leripe Wrote: Any quick guide for NFS?
Currently sharing stuff from my win8 pc.

HaneWin is probably the simplest solution if your server runs windows.
You do have to pay for it, but has a free trial for first month so you can confirm if it resolves your issue. (I use hanwin).
Umm do I understand this NFS right, as in it doesn't work with my current setup. I'm currently sharing my stuff from my PC not NAS, pc has win8.1 pro system. As in I don't have a dedicated server for sharing the stuff.
(2015-02-04, 18:27)leripe Wrote: Umm do I understand this NFS right, as in it doesn't work with my current setup. I'm currently sharing my stuff from my PC not NAS, pc has win8.1 pro system. As in I don't have a dedicated server for sharing the stuff.

Yes, NFS is a better protocol for streaming videos, but it's not supported by windows out of the box.
HaneWin is one solution to allow a Windows PC to share files using the NFS protocol.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi 1, B (not plus) 1080p lag problem0