Linux KodiBuntu or Ubuntu + Kodi ?
Hi,
I would like to install Kodi on a Linux system but I have a question. I'm using OpenElec, it's very easy to set up but I can't install packages like a classic Linux and I would like to install Hyperion (an Ambilight-like software, topic is here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=180472).
So I would like to install Kodi on a Ubuntu system or install KodiBuntu but what are the differences between both ?
I know KodiBuntu is an Ubuntu with Kodi pre-installed but I don't know real differences. Is one better than the other ?
Thank you.
IMHO Kodibuntu is easier to set up at first, and it seems to run a bit snappier. I'm guessing that's because it's missing many non-essential Ubuntu packages. It's not locked down like OpenElec; you can easily install packages from apt-get.
Ok thanks !
What is the OS includes with KodiBuntu ? Ubuntu Server ? Which version ?
Thank you.
current kodibuntu is based on ubuntu 14.04
Ok thanks, Ubuntu Desktop or Server ?
neither Wink
I think it's lubuntu
I've read on the Wiki :
Quote:XBMCbuntu contains XBMC for Linux compiled with the 'standalone' mode, this enabled certain functions that are not available in normal XBMC installations (Windows, Mac Linux), these functions include Power Management, and Network Management.
It's the case also for Kodi ? What is the Power Management (Shutdown / Reboot / Sleep ?) and Network Management (IP configuration ?)

Also is it possible on Ubuntu + Kodi to auto start Kodi ? Or it's only possible to KodiBuntu ?

Thanks.
(2015-02-05, 12:49)NicCo Wrote: Also is it possible on Ubuntu + Kodi to auto start Kodi ? Or it's only possible to KodiBuntu ?
Yes of course. Ubuntu can launch any service at startup. But that's one of her many things already configured for you in Kodibuntu.
Go with kodibuntu. Its built on the ubuntu minimal image. (smaller then the server image) It includes a desktop enviroment but it does not run anywhere unless you log into it. Its truly just kodi running no strings attached.
I'd go with Kodibuntu too:
  • it can be customized to run "non" Kodi apps (you can ssh to it and install almost anything) whereas you can't really do it with OpenElec ;
  • it is a really easy process to do the initial setup (like OpenElec).

imho, you'll have all the pros from OpenElec and "a standard linux distro".
(2015-02-06, 08:31)spookybathtub Wrote:
(2015-02-05, 12:49)NicCo Wrote: Also is it possible on Ubuntu + Kodi to auto start Kodi ? Or it's only possible to KodiBuntu ?
Yes of course. Ubuntu can launch any service at startup. But that's one of her many things already configured for you in Kodibuntu.

Haha, and your name is awesome! I am after *buntu so that I can use autodl-irssi, and I think I'll try Kodibuntu first (OpenElec is currrently what's on my Chromebox).
Sorry for the thread jacking, but:

wsnipex (or other Kodi devs), are there plans to release an updated 16.04 LTS KodiBuntu sometime later this Spring? I know there won't be many substantial new features, but the updated kernel sounds like it might have some benefits. I've read through Fritsch's 15.10 Lubuntu thread, but being a Linux noob I'm sure I'll screw it up somehow if I went that route. The PulseAudio/ALSA, etc. preconfigured goodies of KodiBuntu do make it easy.

EDIT: Just realized the necrothread...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KodiBuntu or Ubuntu + Kodi ?0