***SOLVED*** Accessing files on network drive attached to modem
I've currently got a powered HDD attached to the usb on the back of my Archer D7 modem so I can access the data from any device whether it be by Ethernet or wifi connection. Installing Kodi on both my PC and laptop I can access the drive and the drive appears in the list of options when attempting to add video files and can add and scrape correctly. However when it comes to trying to do the same thing on my Raspberry Pi which is connected by Ethernet to the network I can't access the drive in the same way and can only find it via the UPnP option which isn't any good as I can't select the content and scrape the movie titles properly.

I found this - 1645986 (post) which kinda is what I'm wanting to do. I know nothing of Linux or coding and was hoping there might of been a quick or easy fix that I was just missing. If I was to plug the HDD direct into the Pi would I still be able to access it via my laptop or PC so I could add more files to it or would I need to disconnect it from the Pi and plug it into the pc everytime I want to update the files?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Roddrick
You are, most probably, up against some sort of permissions problem.
Without more information, I (for one) would offer no guarantees that if you connected that HDD to the Pi you would have network access.
Derek
(2015-02-04, 22:35)dandnsmith Wrote: You are, most probably, up against some sort of permissions problem.
Without more information, I (for one) would offer no guarantees that if you connected that HDD to the Pi you would have network access.

Thanks.... when you say more info?? what would I need to provide?
Anything which might shed light on the problem:
OS which you run on PC and laptop
How do you connect to the 'modem' shares - have you installed special access software?
Derek
(2015-02-05, 10:40)dandnsmith Wrote: Anything which might shed light on the problem:
OS which you run on PC and laptop
How do you connect to the 'modem' shares - have you installed special access software?

Durrr!!! of course sorry - so both PC and Laptop are running Windows 7 and the HDD is a Seagate Expansion pack 2TB connected directly into the Archer D7 modem.
I'm able to access the HDD via my network and have mapped the drive.

sorry for the size of the pics I'm not sure how to resize them and please let me know if you need to know anything else as obvious that I'm missing.

Media settings on modem - Image

this is the share list on my pc with Z: being my media drive - Image

and this is the share list on my Raspbery Pi running Kodi - Image
It should be under windows networks.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-07, 23:38)nickr Wrote: It should be under windows networks.

Ok so under Window's Networks after I select WORKGROUP I can only access either my Desktop, Laptop (when it's on), printer and the Raspbmc? I want to be able to access the drive connected to my router without having to turn on the pc. Also after selecting Desktop-PC it asks for a username and passwordHuh Not sure what details it's wanting here as I haven't set one up as far as I know.

Tongue 
***SOLVED*** Ok.... so..... got frustrated at not being able to work it out and started drinking a few beers.... by the end of the fourth one.....I GOT IT!!! and some how it's now working.....not really sure how as I'm now having trouble adding my music....but at least I can watch movies Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
***SOLVED*** Accessing files on network drive attached to modem0