OS X Kodi 14.1 Audio Sync Issues (2009 Mac Mini, Yosemite)
No log yet because this may be something I did, figured I'd ask though. Memphiz maybe you know what I did.

I was messing around with the MIDI Setup app trying to get my toslink cable to work again until I realized I had the cable in the wrong jack (digital out was in the wrong place). I expected to see multichannel audio in there but only saw 2 channels so perhaps that is the problem right there.

Got sound again but now audio is WAY off (video is beating audio by I'd say around 5 seconds) in everything I play. Logs look clean but maybe I need to turn on debug if that will help.

Any idea what the heck I might have did to cause this?

All the usual stuff is turned on...audio sync, adjust refresh rate to match, passthrough, etc.

Been using this machine for years without issue so not sure what just happened. May just try a clean format of the whole machine (It's a dedicated HTPC anyway) if you don't have any ideas.

Will still grab a log too but it's not networked currently so not as easy, but will do if you are curious to see it. Maybe you know what I messed up though.
Can you check you have something similar for Optical output:

Quote:Audio Output:
Bottom Left - select Settings Level - Expert

- Audio Output Device - Default (HDA Intel ALC889A Analog) (This is the only way to get Passthrough via SPDIF to work properly)
- Number of Channels - 2.0 (Don't worry as this is only the number of transport modulation channels NOT the 5.1 speaker setup when passing through via SPDIF)
- Output configuration - Optimized
- Stereo upmix - Enable
- Normalize levels on downmix - Disable
- Resample Quality - Medium
- Enable Passthrough - Enable
- Passthrough output device - the one with SPDIF in it.
- Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding - Enable

Then select whatever options your receiver is capable of decoding ie Dolby Digital AC3, DTS etc...

(2015-02-04, 05:40)BDPNA Wrote: No log yet because this may be something I did, figured I'd ask though. Memphiz maybe you know what I did.

Sure i know what you did. You screwed your very good working HTPC up. :p

No really - my crystal ball is in maintenance - i need the debug log (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Here's the debug log. I see all sorts of weirdness here...

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=415276

Let me know what you think.

I'm noticing skipped frames (perhaps the fact I have the WMC plugin polling occasionally causes this) and oddly enough, hard to explain but it almost looks like the "soap opera effect" on my Benq projector when watching 24p content now, whereas before it had that more cinematic look. Hard to explain. It's that odd digital look so many of us hate. But ultimately the biggest concern is that the audio looks to be a full 5 seconds ahead of the picture on everything I play.

If you don't have any ideas I'd be willing to just clean install Yosemite on my Mini and start over.
Ok i think the vsync patch didn't work as expected in the helix 14.1 codebranch. Could you please try with a current nightly build and report back?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Happy to do that. Before I do, just a question. I recall in the past that when I changed over to a new version in nightlies, my MySQL database got upgraded and I had to move every system on the network to the same branch to keep up. Do you know if that is the case with the current 15.0 nightlies as well?

If it is, I can still test, I will just find a way to test a file locally instead of using MySQL at all so I don't affect the DB.
Yes this is the case again. The DB version already was bumped in nightly builds due to fixups. 3 solutions.

1. Let the nightly build update the DB - do your tests - once done - remove the newly created video db from the mysql server and revert to your 14.1 versions
2. Rename your advancedsettings.xml before starting the nightly (so it won't use the mysql db). In the rare case that the mysql db is part of your problem you would effectively change 2 things at once here (15.0 and removing the mysqldb) which might be a problem when analysing bugs.
3. Bump all your clients to the same nightly build.
Memphiz,

Sorry for the delay, I did some testing and was trying to determine the best way to help you out.

First of all - Good news. The latest nightly did not exhibit this problem. So whatever patches are in there are working. I played the same movie file via NFS (not mySQL, but still over the network, which I figured was close). I did notice a little weirdness here and there with sound either dropping out or not syncing after some skipping around, or starting a video already in progress. This was a problem I battled a while ago with older builds on this older Mac Mini. However it's been fine for a while.

I can see if I can find a reliable way to introduce the sync issue under the latest nightly and get you a debug log if you think it might help. I realize this is just a nightly so of course I don't expect perfection, and figured you'd at least want to know that the problem I had in 14.1 does seem to be handled mostly in 15.

Let me know what else I can do to help.
The debug builds don't exhibit this problem consistently because there is a race condition. That is, if you took a debug build of Helix 14.1, it would also 'work' most of the time.

The problem is being discussed over here.
Glad to see you guys on top of it. I know it sucks when issues like this show up, but it always makes me feel better when you can at least see it and know it's going on.
Definitely can see the issue continuing using the Nightly 15.0 builds, so I'm going to go back to 14.0 for now. They typically start on sync but then at random I'm losing sync by a few seconds likely due to the reasons that jingai listed in the thread above.

If you guys want me to put any particular builds through some tests on my Mini, happy to do so, especially when you think you have it licked.
Actually, the issue I'm talking about should only happen at start up. Once it's got sync, it generally keeps it on my machine, unless the resolution changes out from underneath Kodi. You're less likely to encounter this particular scenario with debug builds (though I have seen it).

If it's going out of sync during playback for you, you should post your debug log.
Okay, good to know it's a different issue (the 14.1 error definitely happens every time at startup).

In the 15.0 debug nightly builds, I'm seeing it at random during playback, so I'll definitely start a new session and turn on debug and share an example so all the developers have it.
For those having this issue, see over here. It's probably related and I think we have a fix.
Grabbed the new 14.2 beta build and so far so great. Good work, all. Thanks for resolving this. Amazingly my 2009 mac mini is still running Kodi a lot better than some of the standalone Atom and Ion openelec systems that are a lot lighter. So definitely it's a platform (OSX) I'd love to see continue to thrive with Kodi.

I'm staying away from 15.0 builds for a while due to the unstable nature, but look forward to upgrading again once it gets there. Thanks for all the hard work you programmers do to resolve issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 14.1 Audio Sync Issues (2009 Mac Mini, Yosemite)0