Advice before updating 12.2 to 14.0 please...
Hi all,

I feel the need to update my ATV2 5.3 from Frodo 12.2 and it's constant crashes when simply reading my attached HD on my router and updating the library, to 14.0 Helix,...

I just needed to know if the process is Automated, .. I only ask as on my win7 laptop it went through flawlessy, also updated my ipad through cydia without a glitch, now I'm wondering if the ATV2 will be the same.

I've already done some minor research, and I have this dreaded feeling that I might have to totally uninstall my 12.2, not what I really wanted to do.
Could anyone tell me if they are using 14.0 on an atv2 and did they uninstall or upgrade easily please.
One thing I did notice is the file size difference between 12.2 and 14.0, I'm not to sure but 14.0 seems a lot smaller so does this mean it takes up less room on the atv2?
Also what are the crashes like on 14.0 especially when updating ones library of movies/tv eps?

Many thanks chaps for any advice and help,

p.s. please no advice using nito,... never had any luck using it, much prefer the putty way.
don't update your ATV2 as it will likely not run decent at all
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I would recommend going to frodo 12.3 on atv2
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Where the hell did my reply go....... ggrrrr

I knew i should have saved it..

I think it went something like this....

Thanks chaps for the replies...

Is there any major benefits between 12.2 and 12.3, ..... if i had waited a few weeks I would have already been on 12.3... but that's life.

Is the update to 12.3 easily done, I.E. will I loose my setup the way it is now.

Also thinking about getting a fire tv, but I've been put off somewhat with the lack of how to's and vid demo's.... (I had a look on utube, but everyone seems to contradict each other as to how to do things.
I have seen the util available within supp tools for kodi, and it looks very good, but there seems to be a lack of how it works and which items have to be done in the correct order.
Also the worry of firmware updates killing the sideload.

the one thing I managed to do to stop my atv2 from crashing when updating its library was to flick between "weather and pictures" during the update, for some unknown reason it seems to stop 70% of the crashes... weird, i know.

The one thing I use the atv2 for is only to stream hardwired my own content, i.e. movies/tv shows, and with only a small amount of movies, about 30 or so and about 50 or so of tv shows that the atv2 wants to reset itself all the time, this has become a real hair puller.

I cannot remember the rest of my reply, sorry about that.... strange that it disappeared though.

but thanks again for the advice...
sadsack..
Have to say, I was quite surprised to see one of the Kodi developers suggesting to stick to Frodo on the ATV2 - glad I didn't read that before I upgraded to 14.0 (and now 14.1) on my ATV2!

From reading around the forum, I do see that a lot of people have had issues with Helix and the ATV2. However, just to give some balanced feedback, I've been using Helix on my ATV2 since December, and I think it's probably the best my setup has ever run. Not getting any of the crashes or dropped network connections I had with Frodo and Gotham.

When upgrading from Gotham to Helix, I did completely remove XBMC and NitoTV from my ATV, and then installed Kodi from scratch using the direct SSH method, rather than through NitoTV. The only issue I've had so far is getting the ATV2 Kodi install to work with my mySQL database, but I'm pretty sure that's a case of user error, which I will eventually work out. Granted the UI is a bit stuttery compared to the install on my Windows machine, but then it was the same with Frodo/Gotham, which I put down to a combination of ATV hardware and my chosen 3rd party skin, not the XBMC/Kodi software.

Like I say, I'm aware other people's experiences have differed, but figured it was worth pointing out at least one person has it running quite smoothly.

ATV2
ATV software: 5.3 (6105)
Kodi version: 14.1 Git:2015-01-30-38e4046-dirty (compiled: Jan 30 2015)
Yeah, v14.1 works pretty good for me on my ATV2 as well, but I don't really use any add-ons or a big library.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice before updating 12.2 to 14.0 please...0