Confused about PVR's and Kodi and how they interact
Setup:
Win7 x64
HDHomerunPrime (Wired connection)
Kodi 14.1

I set up XBMC and WMC with an HDHomerun Prime about 3 years ago. I could swap back and forth with relative ease, but now I've just recently upgraded to Kodi 14.1 and I hear PVR support is now baked into XBMC. Great. So I do the bare minimum setup, which consisted of installing ServerWMC and enabling the add-on in Kodi, and everything works except it's extremely slow.

Changing channels take a good 5-10 seconds and the video quality is awful. I have to use Zoom to make it go full screen, but apparently that setting is only per channel, because when I change the channel, it goes back to how it was.

So I guess my question is does it matter what I use as a PVR backend? I have no loyalty to WMC, it's just what came with the place. If there's something better, I will by all means use it. If not, then what tweaking needs to be done to make for a more smoother PVR experience in Kodi? I've seen some mention about editing the advancedsettings file, but I'm not sure if that's directly related to my problem or not.

Thanks in advance!
I'm sure others will comment about switching backends and the resulting channel change speeds (or you can just search this forum).

But while you are experimenting with serverwmc, for video quality make sure de-interlacing is turned on (its off by default). The zoom mode can also be set to use whatever you want as the default. The channel changing time is what it is, it has more overhead than using wmc directly. However, since you have a dlna capable tuner, you can use dlna mode and then channel switch times are as fast or faster than wmc (usually). Go to the debug tab in serverwmc and hit 'edit settings', then search for UseDLNAChannels_Kodi, change it to:

<UseDLNAChannels_Kodi>true</UseDLNAChannels_Kodi>

then save the config file and restart serverwmc.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Hey hey, thanks for the quick response! I'll definitely make that change in the settings on ServerWMC. I'll continue to play around with the video quality a little more, but even with de-interlacing turned on it was still very pixelated. I mean, it was watchable, but definitely not as clear as the channel should be (when compared to WMC, for instance).

I was just on the ServerWMC wiki and I see that you're the one that developed/maintain this sweet piece of software. Amazing. Very cool stuff and I appreciate all the effort you've put into the cause! Thanks!
Thanks. I'm not sure what the pixelation problem could be. Do you also see it when you play back a recorded tv file in kodi?
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Confused about PVR's and Kodi and how they interact0