argh!!! How can nobody have an answer for this bug?
(2015-02-24, 22:49)jjd-uk Wrote: Your Remote fetish has struck again Ned :)

Indeed! :D

It took forever, but my remote arrived today. I'll try setting it up with the CuBox tonight.
You can use one of the smart phone remote apps to type things... They all have keyboards.
(2015-03-08, 06:46)Theron Wrote: You can use one of the smart phone remote apps to type things... They all have keyboards.

Using a remote that doesn't have tactile buttons, haha, good joke!
Always a matter of taste...I like the way to use my tablet, but I understand the reason for tactile buttons as well
Boy, recording all of the key codes takes a while, and I still need to do the symbols. I've gotten to a point where I can press a letter and kodi sees the keypress, but no letters are made. I believe this is because something like "KEY_A" means nothing to Kodi, as it is not defined in lircmap.xml. I'm not sure if it would be best to try and define every letter key in lircmap.xml file, or if that is even possible. I'm also not totally sure if that's the cause of the issue, but I think it is something to that effect.
(2015-03-08, 06:55)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-03-08, 06:46)Theron Wrote: You can use one of the smart phone remote apps to type things... They all have keyboards.

Using a remote that doesn't have tactile buttons, haha, good joke!

LOL... I feel the same way. I use a MS MCE remote and the PS3 BT remote for my Kodi machines, but when I have to enter a manual search string for subs, I often use my phone rather than hen peck or get up for the keyboard.
To be fair, there are times when I do use a smartphone or tablet remote with Kodi, especially for text entry ;)
Yep, had the in-laws around a few times and were trying to watch some youtube vids.

First time, used on screen keyboard, lots of frustration, not a lot of kudos for XBMC [1]. "Oh really, thats hard isn't it, I just plug my laptop into the TV".

Second time, used yatse's on screen keyboard thing still with XBMC's built in youtube search function, worked well.

Third time, searched for the videos on the phone's youtube app and then share to XBMC via yatse's share function. Everyone thought 'amazing' - especially when I passed the phone around for others to choose.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yea, I can use my phone but it is impractical on my main television. If multiple people are using that TV to watch, or the fact that I have to share use of my phone as a phone and a remote. Smile To be fair, the smartphone remote is really cool and I do use it when I want to show off my cool setup. Smile But for day to day use, a remote is a lot more practical.

Ultimately I am looking to use Kodi to replace a normal tv viewing experience. Where one could use Kodi and a HTPC to 100% replace traditional tv. For this to work, you would need a "normal" remote. Use of a keyboard or a smart phone just does not cut it from a practical standpoint.

But to reiterate, I am sure the problem lies in Kodi. Again, the CuBox views the keystrokes as they are intended via the ir. In Openelec, via the ir (NO FLIRC) a "1" key-press throws the number 1 on the screen. But when I start Kodi, it translates that "number 1" into a period. So even if Kodi is designed for ONLY "simple" remotes (not clear why this feature would be ideal), how can one assume a user would need to enter a period, but never have to enter the number 1?

Kodi MUST be viewing the number 1 input as a number 1 (or it would not know to translate it to a period). And number 2 as A and so on. If Kodi was not seeing the actual input (i.e. the numeral value), how could it translate it to the correct T9 alternative? So somewhere in the Kodi programming, it is told "If you see an input of the number 1, display this as a period".

And YES! it did take a long time to set up the key codes. lol
Keep in mind, I have been a member since 2005 and that means I have been using XBMC since before that! lol A lot of the "excitement" has worn down and I find myself looking for more and more practical ways to use it. I have used XBMC as a replacement for traditional TV for like over 5 years now.
It has nothing to do with the sms/t9 text entry feature.
(2015-03-10, 15:18)tommymsw Wrote: Keep in mind, I have been a member since 2005 and that means I have been using XBMC since before that! lol A lot of the "excitement" has worn down and I find myself looking for more and more practical ways to use it. I have used XBMC as a replacement for traditional TV for like over 5 years now.

I'd love to do that as well, but I want quality live sports and some shows on History HD and H2 that don't seem to make it into the mainstream add-ons. Luckily we have excellent IPTV through our ISP for less than US$15/mo. I'm happy MLB starts soon because I'm not a huge basketball fan.
(2015-03-10, 16:36)Ned Scott Wrote: It has nothing to do with the sms/t9 text entry feature.

So Kodi registers the input of the number 2 as A, 3 as D, 4 as G and so on, and it is NOT the result of t9 text entry? Is it just a massive coincidence? Odd that it matches perfectly with T9 input if it is not meant to be T9 input. If I press the number 2 multiple times, it switches from A to B to C. What explanation would you have for this action then?
Kodi sees "2" as "2". The keymap tells Kodi to make "2" do T9 entry when the virtual keyboard is open. It has nothing to do with how the letters on keyboard side of the remote operates. Turning off T9 support is a simple matter of changing the keymap.
Hi everyone,

I have same problem as tommymsw Sad
irw recognizes KEY_Q very well, but Q letter is not typed in virtual keyboard with this button.
Can anybody describe me what should I add to Lircmap.xml and remote.xml to make it working?

P.S. I tried to add <q>KEY_Q</q> to Lircmap and <q>q</q> to remote.xml and it didn't work. I cannot find any info on keycodes for letters to be set in remote.xml, unfortunately Sad

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
argh!!! How can nobody have an answer for this bug?0