Sling TV Installed on Fire TV Stick and Integrated with Kodi
Avid Kodi user here. I do the cablecard mythtv with HDHOMERUN Prime and Kodi route (my guide is in the wiki here at Kodi.tv) which works really well. BUT I got the invite to the Dish Network beta for sling tv and tested it out. Did a setup guide, commentary, and video so you can see it. I successfully sideloaded the Android APK on my Fire TV Stick and then integrated with Kodi.

This could be a viable option for sports guys with kids (ESPN and Disney, etc for $20 a month) on the cheap $40 Fire TV Stick device.

Anyways, here is my full write up.

Sling TV Guide and Demonstration

Here is the video preview.

Thanks,
Ryan
GameRoomSolutions.com
Cool!

First off, how did you get Kodi running on your Fire Stick? I got it installed, but the video was unwatchable. Very choppy and unstable. I suppose it could just be a bad wifi connection, but other devices running Kodi with wifi in the same room as the Fire Stick work fine. I noticed this with a few other "official" Fire Stick apps as well.

Second, I was reading that newer versions of the Sling TV app now block Fire TV/Stick. Are you using the older version, or did you find a way to get the new version working?
Given that Sling TV has said they're working on a version for the firetv stick and firetv, I'm certainly pretty pumped about the future of those devices.

Mike, virtually everyone else has had an extremely positive experience with the firetv stick and Kodi. If you are having problem, you might post in the appropriate thread.
(2015-02-09, 21:11)mikefreeman Wrote: Cool!

First off, how did you get Kodi running on your Fire Stick? I got it installed, but the video was unwatchable. Very choppy and unstable. I suppose it could just be a bad wifi connection, but other devices running Kodi with wifi in the same room as the Fire Stick work fine. I noticed this with a few other "official" Fire Stick apps as well.

Second, I was reading that newer versions of the Sling TV app now block Fire TV/Stick. Are you using the older version, or did you find a way to get the new version working?

1. Here is a guide on setting up Kodi on Fire TV http://gameroomsolutions.com/install-kod...etv-stick/.
2. In the youtube description or on the guide I link to the apk file I used for sling tv. The apk I got from the sling site blocked me, but the one provided in the links worked great.

I would check your internet connection/wifi on the Fire TV Stick. We easily stream 4gb movies across our wifi to Kodi without much buffering/issues.
FYI: Amazon has the office app for slingtv now. No side loading needed. Simply search for the app on your fire tv and install it. Then it will be in your android apps folder under programs in Kodi.
Interesting stuff- I notice you didn't mention anything about the FTV's lack of de-interlacing. Just yesterday I set up an antenna at my new house and got everything working with kodi and the pvr/wmc addon. It's alright for some live content- but sports and things like that are no good at all. Do you not have to worry about such things with your cable card? Is the content already de-interlaced coming into your fire tv's- or do you just fight through it? I don't think an hd homerun would solve the antenna / OTA interlace issues, but that's why I'm asking. You seem to have live tv figured out pretty well (again, unless you're just living through the interlace issues)- I'm just wondering what's the secret if there is one! Thanks
Nightly builds (wiki) have deinterlacing support for the Fire TV.
Oh wow- I was pissed off because I was up late working- but now you have just made my night (more like morning).. Will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks!!
(2015-04-10, 10:52)Ned Scott Wrote: Nightly builds (wiki) have deinterlacing support for the Fire TV.
No shit. Thank you
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2015-02-09, 21:11)mikefreeman Wrote: Cool!

I run Kodi on a Fstick. For me it works just well enough that I want to replace it with a Fire STB and put the stick somewhere I don't use it as much. I find myself recycling the power too often. It occasionally gets stuck on a button press that will make the unit respond in a loop for almost a full second (not related to Kodi). Basically sometimes fast forwarding or skipping forward can go a lot further than you want.

Things that require recycling include Kodi just crashing, constant playback rebuffering, cleaning a library that normally takes 20 seconds somehow taking 5 minutes, and probably a few other things I am forgetting.
(2015-04-10, 11:01)hagfish Wrote: Oh wow- I was pissed off because I was up late working- but now you have just made my night (more like morning).. Will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks!!

Dang- what a tease... Got the nightly installed but apparently the pvr.wmc addon doesn't work w/ the nightlies on android /fire tv (or at least it doesn't for me) Sad -- can't test de-interlacing yet.
Have you ever encountered "Fire Stick Stuck on logo"? Well, I had. 

I can switch on the KODI television, but the loading dots and fire logo remain on a black screen. It never moves on from this. I tried doing everything I read and unplugged, but nothing changed. This KODI television is only a few months old. 

Then, i searched for the fixes on my web browser and I found this PAGE that helped me out and today i'm streaming my firestick without any issue.
Thread moved to Android - but you do realise you've revived a 7 year old thread, right?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sling TV Installed on Fire TV Stick and Integrated with Kodi0