• 1(current)
New additive/smart seeking support
As this feature is on its way to be merged into mainline (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6347), I want to ask what we'll prefer to do with the another seek/skip operations (small step/big step forward).

In my opinion we should drop the related seeking code and route the related action keys to the new additive seek handler. This would be way more flexible as the static small,big seek operations.
As I'm personally a fan of the additive/smart seeking (especially for 5button remotes) I'm fine with removing the old seek options, but I also know that many prefer the instant seeks, so it would be nice to get some feedback or maybe we can create a list with pros and cons for either side to see if we should keep all possibilities or do some cleanup.

As big con for the old instant seek approach I see the userexperience when seeking in online video streams. Depending on the connection speed it can take a few seconds to buffer after a seek operation. If you want to seek something like 3 mins on such a stream with old 30sec intervals it takes ages to get there (I know from experience). With smart seeking its basically just one seek and buffer process. The next obvious con for old approach is that you need 6 buttons instead of 2 to achieve the very same thing with the downside of a slight total delay of maybe 1000ms (or whatever you defined as delay value).

The con of smart seeking is that you seek blindly while with small subsequent steps in old behavior you could see the frame/scene of the intermediate step. But we might be able to give seek preview in some point in the future (like youtube does), so at least to me this wouldn't be a hard loss.
FYI I have lot's of mail from users of Yatse for 2 things :

The back button to do the 30 sec back that was changed in Gotham.

And a new button for instant back 15 or 7 seconds.

All saying the same I want a quick small back to listen to some words I missed.

So if this drop complete support for such possibility users will complains.

(By lots I mean really a lot)
Depending on the user settings everything is possible with the new smart seek support.
Each step in the screenshot below might be enabled or disabled. By default all steps are enabled.

(2015-02-07, 19:40)Tolriq Wrote: And a new button for instant back 15 or 7 seconds.

7 seconds is smallest step you could configure.
15 reached by two key-presses.

(2015-02-07, 19:40)Tolriq Wrote: The back button to do the 30 sec back that was changed in Gotham.

reached by 3 key-presses.
My post was more informative of user requests Smile

I did not checked how new system worked.

About 30s 3 key presses how does it work ? Since on rpi 1080p content if it tries to do 3 seeks to get to 30 secs it would be hardly usable.
There is a delay which defines the time to wait for subsequent key presses before performing the seek.
Configurable in GUI settings, with a value from 500ms - 3000ms, default: 1000ms, step size 250ms.

So for example if you press 3 times forward within the delay/timeout of 1000ms only one seek is performed.
As a hint I've tested the new smart seeking with your remote app and everything works fine.
The key-repeats + seeking work the same like with keyboard or remote control.
Ok so everything sounds good Smile Thanks for the test and explanation as users will ask me the same questions Smile
Will I still be able to jump forward in 30 seconds gaps like now?

I use this all the time to skip the intro to a TVShow. Usually a click 3 times right on the remote and it is perfect.
Please take a look at the screenshot in the third post. You can enable/disable every step in the list of steps.
If you only activate one step per direction you'll end up on the same behavior as before, each keypress will skip XXX seconds e.g. 30 sec.
zag - you can still use old skipping behavior if you only select the 30 sec step f.e. - or if you need a little more flexibility and also smaller steps forward, select 15s and 30s. With this setup you can jump 15s, 30s, 60s, 90s, 120s, .. because the last skip step size will be repeated on subsequent key presses. Was this understandable?
Yep got it, if its configurable to work the same then great!
I've really missed this feature before. Tested and works great!

There's only one problem i see that wasn't noticeable with fixed skip steps:
The skin property "Player.SeekOffset" is exposed not before the action is performed and that is really too late!!!
Right now you have to know the skip steps that are active in the settings
and you have to count in your mind how often you press a button to get your desired jump in the timeline.
I *love* the instant nature of the current (now old) seek. I definitely don't want all seeking to have a delay waiting for more pushes before it seeks.

This read like a classic power user feature - great if you're used to it...but for new users it seems to me it's going to seem really non-responsive. I think I read on github if you have only one seek step defined it won't use the delay? Which is ok in principle - BUT I can currently - without any delay:
Seek Back 7
Seek Back 30
Seek Forward 30
Seek Back 10 mins
Seek Forward 10 mins

I'd really like to still be able to do ALL of that - and particularly the two seek backs - without ANY delay - as we use these a whole bunch of times every single day.

I get that this is wanted (and why), but I think having a delay on ALL seeks and variable seek length (with no obvious UI feedback?) is precisely the sort of thing that's going to confuse new users and that the instant, easy to understand seeks of the past were actually one of the majorly cool things I see new users liking about kodi.

It's of course always a balance between power features and default behaviour, but I think this is too far towards power users myself....
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2015-02-10, 01:55)pünktchen Wrote: I've really missed this feature before. Tested and works great!

There's only one problem i see that wasn't noticeable with fixed skip steps:
The skin property "Player.SeekOffset" is exposed not before the action is performed and that is really too late!!!
Right now you have to know the skip steps that are active in the settings
and you have to count in your mind how often you press a button to get your desired jump in the timeline.

we missed that too and working on a solution https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6387
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New additive/smart seeking support0