• 3(current)
New additive/smart seeking support
I agree, we need the alternative skip size (big step) only in case we don't have chapter jumps.

(2015-02-10, 19:32)da-anda Wrote: In case a movie doesn't have chapters we can fake some based on user configurable rules (X amount of markers, fixed step sizes which sort of would be old +/-10 min, ...).

Or we introduce a single-value gui setting which gives us the possibility to configure the amount of time (e.g. 1m, 5m, 10m, etc.) to skip as replacement if we don't have chapters?

EDIT:
(2015-02-10, 19:32)da-anda Wrote: ..., fixed step sizes which sort of would be old +/-10 min, ...).

BTW that was my intention, with this alternative seek steps configuration
I'd not do relative skips but as said simulate chapters. for relative seeks we have smart seeking
I know this isn't development related but I'm really interested in this feature. I grabbed the latest nightly to test it out however I'm only getting 'classic' seeking, using the smallest step vaules set in the skip steps setting. Looking at the commits I can't see any need to change any key mapping so is it just temporarily broken?
if you only select 1 step value you get classic seeking to please the users that want to stick with old behavior. If you select more than one skip step for a direction you get smart seeking.

But we might change the "1 step = classic" behavior and always apply the seek delay if specified (along with allowing to disable the delay ofc in order to get back old behavior).
(2015-02-11, 12:45)da-anda Wrote: But we might change the "1 step = classic" behavior and always apply the seek delay if specified (along with allowing to disable the delay ofc in order to get back old behavior).
Yes that would be an acceptable alternative to keep old behaviour, always apply the delay but allow delay to be set to 0 for instant skipping.
I've created a new PR which adds the smart seek support also for music playback. It's configurable by its own setting under Settings > Music > Playback.
I've also dropped the small step back action handling and forward the action to the smart seek handler.
Furthermore the delay setting can now be turned off for both video/music.

Related PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6405

Test-Builds:
WIN32
OSX-64
@bossanova808I understand you point, but it is not a power user function at all. It is THE way seeking should work in every professional Media Center, and Kodi is IMHO THE best one.

I keep repeating myself: a software is always better an more powerful if a user can decide and choose how the software will perform a given fuction.
Believe me, additive seeking is not a power user stuff and wont confuse any new users at all. Those who don't want it, can keep the old way (although I highly recommend to try out, old habbits change hard), especially for Live tv, if you have kids around and try to watch a soccer gameSmile))

Anyway, I believe the delay is also adjustable, but xhaggi will confirm this for sure.
(2015-02-12, 14:52)gurabli Wrote: Anyway, I believe the delay is also adjustable, but xhaggi will confirm this for sure.

yes, with the latest additions you can turn it off or configure a value between 250ms and 3000ms in 250ms steps. We'll discuss the defaults for these settings after a period of tests. But it's up to you which settings fits best.
(2015-02-11, 21:19)xhaggi Wrote: I've created a new PR which adds the smart seek support also for music playback. It's configurable by its own setting under Settings > Music > Playback.
I've also dropped the small step back action handling and forward the action to the smart seek handler.
Furthermore the delay setting can now be turned off for both video/music.

Related PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6405

Test-Builds:
WIN32
OSX-64

Fantastic work xhaggi, tested with both videos & music and for me it's the perfect balance between allowing old behaviour and new functionality, in fact after now having had chance to test more extensively you may have just converted me to the benefits of additive seeking Smile From my experimentation I'm finding the sweet spot for me is a delay of 250ms with single steps of -15 & +30 enabled, thus allowing almost instant skip with one but enough of a delay to allow rapid button pressing to make use of the additive function Smile Also as someone who uses Kodi as my primary method of music playback I'm really appreciating the music changes Smile So thanks a lot from me for sticking with this and adding to what was originally proposed Smile

The only thing I'm now not sure on is what we should have enabled by default, I think having all steps enables is a bit much personally, but as it's a one off thing to switch the ones you don't want off it's only a minor hassle. I'd like only a couple of the lower values of Skip Step enabled by default but I realise it's going to be difficult to satisfy everyone of this, so maybe it's ok with all enabled by default after all, so let's see what the users say.
@jjd-uk thanks for testing it and good to hear that everything works like expected. IMO we could discuss the defaults after we merge it in and get more feedback from the community. But in general it's up to the user which steps/delay he prefers and as you have said it's a one off thing.
Perhaps I wasn't clear, I meant get the PR in as is then let's see what the users say, I guessing if any changes were to be made to the default values enabled it would be viewed as a fix and can go in any time.
AFAIK the current step sizes (and enabled ones) are also the default in MediaPortal. I'm not saying that we can't do better then them, but I suppose they have some more experience with it already and it also eases the move from MP to Kodi Wink
Will this be in 14.2?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
No
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Thanks. Shame.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New additive/smart seeking support0