Program genre not picked up / no epg colours coming through
I am using the mp tv server and pvr plugin. All works fine but despite checking the box to read epg genre strings and my skin (Titan) supporting this no colours come through. I have my categories mapped within mediaportal tv server and am using djblu tv server to auto grab UK epg from the dvb feed.

Should this work with mediaportal and Kodi?
Sorry to bumb in, but I also have the same problem. I have everything configured in TV Server part fro Genre mappings, but nothing shows up in Kodi.

I mean, in Kodi Timeline EPG I got "Genre:Other/Unknown for each channel.
I have looked for the genre_translations.xml file but it is not present in any of the folders (BTW, where should it be on Linux?).

Here is a sample of the TSWriter stream from MediaPortal logs, I see that the provider sends genre information over DVB:

http://pastebin.com/VfGvjam7

The data looks like this:

Genre :genre=[sports (general)][0x0400]

Any ideas what can be done here and what is wrong with the settings and how could I make it work?
(2015-02-11, 09:50)gurabli Wrote: Sorry to bumb in, but I also have the same problem. I have everything configured in TV Server part fro Genre mappings, but nothing shows up in Kodi.

I mean, in Kodi Timeline EPG I got "Genre:Other/Unknown for each channel.
I have looked for the genre_translations.xml file but it is not present in any of the folders (BTW, where should it be on Linux?).

Here is a sample of the TSWriter stream from MediaPortal logs, I see that the provider sends genre information over DVB:

http://pastebin.com/VfGvjam7

The data looks like this:

Genre :genre=[sports (general)][0x0400]

Any ideas what can be done here and what is wrong with the settings and how could I make it work?

I think that you have not enabled "EPG:Read genre strings (slow)" in the Media Portal PVR addon settings in Kodi.
I did enable in Kodi and also restarted Kodi, but nothing.

Is this working for you without any issue? I don't have a genre_translation.xml file nowhere, or I don't even need it?
(2015-02-11, 16:32)gurabli Wrote: I did enable in Kodi and also restarted Kodi, but nothing.

Is this working for you without any issue? I don't have a genre_translation.xml file nowhere, or I don't even need it?

If Kodi is receiving the genre data then it would show up in the EPG. I use Schedules Direct for my EPG data and have never had a problem getting the genres... The tricky part for me was getting the colors to work... and that is what you use the genre_translation.xml file for.

You can try deleting your epg data in KODI so that it imports it again.
I'll try again when at home, but I already deleted EPG data in Kodi and in MP TV Server too, didn't help.

I rely on my DVB-S provider, but as you can see, it does transmit genre data.

Can you send me a working xml file and direct me where should I put it (Linux)? Was it there by default or you had to create the file too?
@gurabli
The PVR addon does not use the color/genre mapping from the "DVB EPG\EPG Genre Map" section in the MediaPortal TV Server configuration. My addon already supported color coded EPG before Team Mediaportal added this feature Wink

XBMC/Kodi uses the official DVB genre numbering system to do the color code. This means that XBMC/Kodi needs a genre type and genre subtype number to assign colors.
MediaPortal only provides genre strings to XBMC, so in order to get the colors, we need to translate the genre strings back to genre type and subtype numbers.
This is done using the genre_translation.xml file. Depending on your EPG source, you may need to extend/modify the mapping in this file to get the colors right.
The default file only contains the official english DVB genre strings, however many non-DVB EPG sources like xmltv provide their own (non-standard) or localized genre strings.

The genre_translation.xml file is located under pvr.mediaportal.tvserver\resources\genre_translation.xml
See for an example the default genre_translation.xml
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Margo, would it be possible to have a downloadable version of your genre translation file.

I'm struggling to get anywhere with the colour coded EPG at the moment, I'm using the sky EPG grabber by djblu in media portal

Thanks

Andy
The link is pointing to a downloadable version (just use the 'raw' button) but it won't help you to just download that file. Your existing installation should already have this file. Find it and extend it accordingly.
The problem with EPG grabbers is that they can basically provide any genre string even in local languages. The default XML file only used offical DVB strings.

To add a non-standard genre, find a line with an official string that corresponds to your genre string and copy that line and modify the genre name.

E.g to support a genre like 'sports', copy the
<genre lang="en" type="0x40" subtype="0x00">sports (general)</genre>
line and add your custom line below resulting in:
<genre lang="en" type="0x40" subtype="0x00">sports (general)</genre>
<genre lang="en" type="0x40" subtype="0x00">sports</genre>

The type+subtype numbers will tell Kodi the genre category and therefore select a particular color.
Note that not every skin might support a color-coded EPG, so it is wise to test it first using Confluence
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
I am using openelec on a chromebox - I don't think I can mount the required folder as writable to be able to make these edits - is there any other way to insert this file in this instance?
(2015-03-11, 22:58)bob808 Wrote: I am using openelec on a chromebox - I don't think I can mount the required folder as writable to be able to make these edits - is there any other way to insert this file in this instance?

IIRC the file is also checked for in addon_data - which on Openelec will be something like;

/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.mediaportal.tvserver..
I have the same issue.
I have managed to fix the genre type for e.g. "movies" but I cannot make it for "Children's"
Probably a problem with the apostrophe (or whatever the little tick is called in english)

The following line is reported in the log:
13:09:33 T:1743778832 DEBUG: AddOnLog: MediaPortal PVR Client: EPG: No mapping of 'Children's' to genre type/subtype found.

The following changes has been added to /usr/local/share/kodi/addons/pvr.mediaportal.tvserver/resources/genre_translation.xml:
<genre lang="en" type="0x50" subtype="0x00">Children's</genre>

But I still got the DEBUG message regarding "No mapping..."

Any suggestion of what to do?

[EDIT]: The problem was not the apostrophe but the capital C in Children's...
I have also mapped 'reserved' and '-' to type 0xF0 in lack of a better alternative...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Program genre not picked up / no epg colours coming through0