Kodi 14.1 crashing with advancedsettings.xml [SOLVED]
After several days of reading and trying to fix this myself, finally time to admit defeat and ask for some help here.

Have been trying to use a common library database between two Kodi installs using MySQL, and path substitutions in advancedsettings.xml. It works fine on the Windows laptop, but if I add my advancedsettings.xml to the userdata folder on the ATV2, Kodi won't launch. I get the spinning loading indicator, and then it dumps me back to the Apple interface. If I remove the advancedsettings.xml, then Kodi launches fine on the ATV2.

This was working fine using Gotham on both devices, so I am half expecting to be told this is one of those Kodi issues with ATV2, but figured I'd ask anyway, in case there was something simple I overlooked.

As I said, I have done some reading around, and attempted to troubleshoot this myself: obviously made sure I'm using the same version on both devices; I made sure the xml is set to use UNIX line endings, not Windows; and I've also made sure the xml has the correct permissions via PuTTY.

Relevant files: advancedsettings.xml | kodi.log | syslog | AppleTV_2015-02-08-174435_FishaTV.plist

Apologies if there is something really obvious in the logs to explain it. I am more used to dealing with Android crash logs.
Current setup:

Windows laptop
Windows Vista SP2
Kodi 14.1 Git:20150129-38e4046 (Compiled Jan 29 2015)

ATV2
ATV software: 5.3 (6105)
Kodi version: 14.1 Git:2015-01-30-38e4046-dirty (compiled: Jan 30 2015)
Not that I'm likely to see anything useful, but when I click the links I get...

'This is a private paste. If you created this paste, please login to view it.'
(2015-02-08, 20:01)trogggy Wrote: Not that I'm likely to see anything useful, but when I click the links I get...

'This is a private paste. If you created this paste, please login to view it.'

Ah damn, I put the wrong setting on Pastebin, should be viewable now. Thanks for the quick feedback!
Ok based on the adresses in the crashlog this is a crash due to recursion. I try to symbolicate that crash log (if i find some time for it) to see where this recursion is happening. For the time beeing it would be an idea to slim down the advancedsettings.xml step by step and see if it stops crashing at one time (meaning remove the paht substitutions step by step and afterwards the music and the video library - or try with only the video or music library for example).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-02-09, 12:13)Memphiz Wrote: Ok based on the adresses in the crashlog this is a crash due to recursion. I try to symbolicate that crash log (if i find some time for it) to see where this recursion is happening. For the time beeing it would be an idea to slim down the advancedsettings.xml step by step and see if it stops crashing at one time (meaning remove the paht substitutions step by step and afterwards the music and the video library - or try with only the video or music library for example).
Thanks for the feedback, and for looking at the logs

I did try with a blank xml yesterday, and then adding the video and then music libraries. All 3 worked, so I'd thought it might be one of my substitution paths.

Ran out of time yesterday, but was going to try tonight with removing the path substitutions one by one as you suggested. Will report back here once I've done so
Sorry i am not able to symbolicate those crashlogs. The saving of the needed dsym data was broken during the rebrand process ( i though try to fix this so i can make use of crashlogs again in the future).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for looking into it. Finally had time to try it again yesterday, turned out it was the passwords.xml substitution that was causing the problem, removing that made it all work fine. Guess that's one of the things that broke from xbmc to kodi. Not a big deal though, at least the library sync works!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 14.1 crashing with advancedsettings.xml [SOLVED]0