Proper 7.1 audio configuration
Question 
Hi everyone.

I've been using XBMC/Kodi for some years. Never ran into major problems but there is one thing that keeps me annoying all this time: the sound configuration. I've never achieved true 7.1 sound on my system. I don't know if it is my system's limitation or inproper configuration.

My system:

Kodi 14.1 with dual audio output patch (because I need another sound output for the TV)
7.1 PCI audio card with CMI chipset (http://www.sweex.com/en/notebook-pc-acce...ten/SC015/) connected through digital coaxial out to Denon 3805 Amplifier.

I have my Kodi output configured to DirectSound:SPDIF( CMIxxx)
My problem with the 7.1 is that I only get a 'fake' 7.1 output: the rear and surround channels are the same. So... it seems like a 5.1 output with dual speaker for the surrounds. The Denon is properly configured (I think) to receive 7.1 sound but I also read somewhere that 7.1 audio is only available through HDMI which the receiver does not have. Is this true? Huh

I would also like to 'upmix' all non 7.1 sources to 7.1 but when I choose 'fixed' I get no sound at all.
Another problem with my 7.1 setup is that I get no sound on the GUI or stereo sources.

What am I doing wrong? Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proper 7.1 audio configuration0