advise on Raspberry Pi 2 vs generic Andriod boxes
(2015-02-11, 09:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Issues then are very likely to be addressed quicker than relying on a bunch of guys operating out of Wok Box takeaway shop in China.

This made me laugh for at least 20 minutes this morning, I've been to hong kong and since these shop running from thre market stores in Kawloon. Here today gone tomorrow.

These cheap boxes are the pits.
OpenElec is also available for (some) Amlogic Media Players Smile

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/12/18/o...s806-s812/

a) CEC support
b) ? Poor de-interlacing
c) Refresh 29.34
b) No forked XBMC needed
d) Good firmware
d) ? Poor build quaility
e) Sellers who come and go > Maybe
f) Raspberry Pi was only £25 > MXIII all-in for about £ 40-50
Completely agree with joelbaby and wrxtasy, about the cuboxi, I brought a hummingboard i2ex, it's ok for what it is but. I've just swapped it out for the pi2.

Besides Kodi the pi2 really is quite a snappy, usable computer. I've been swapping sd cards in my pi b for the last year now, slowly learning how to read basic python scripts as well as other things.
You can't do that with a android box.
whoever wants to get a pi2 to use mostly (or even only) with kodi you have also to keep in mind that new audio and video codecs (H265 HEVC for ex.) are not hw supported and will be only partially in the future via sw.
Also external usb ports are not suitable for heavy powering for large USB3 disks, that in part kills the beauty of having a good and tiny all-terrain pc.
With a decent PSU (2amp or above) you can in fact now send out 1.2amp via the usb ports this should be enough to power a usb external hdd.
It's Just a case of inserting:-
Code:
max_usb_current=1
In your config.txt it was added to the b+
(2015-02-11, 14:04)AndreaSpooky Wrote: whoever wants to get a pi2 to use mostly (or even only) with kodi you have also to keep in mind that new audio and video codecs (H265 HEVC for ex.) are not hw supported and will be only partially in the future via sw.
Funny you should post that as I've just done some early testing with a RPi2 and H265, and it appears ARM optimisations are in the pipeline Smile

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1923319

at these prices/performances i'd easily take a new odroid-c1, mounting ubuntu and kodi, all properly accelerated.
course doesnt have the same kind of support coverage but it looks on the good way: there are already working build of ubuntu 14 and openelec 5
(2015-02-11, 15:04)wrxtasy Wrote: Funny you should post that as I've just done some early testing with a RPi2 and H265, and it appears ARM opyimisations are in the pipeline Smile

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1923319

which is quite good for a 40$ thingie, but the same money on odroid gives hw support for h265.
Same hw support that on my "simple" rk3288 beelink can easily run h265 4K files with really low cpu usage.
Do you need a buy a separate remote to navigate Kodi on the Odroid, how's CEC HDMI control ?
What about 23.976fps (24p) video ?

You know just the basic stuff.

(2015-02-11, 16:55)wrxtasy Wrote: Do you need a buy a separate remote to navigate Kodi on the Odroid, how's CEC HDMI control ?

CEC is partially supported atm (some tv brands are already working), they're working on it.
While 24 is supported, true 23,9 is not supported, atm. Guess they'll handle this in the future.

I don't wanna step in anyone's feet, i'm just saying: this new odroid-c1 *seem* to have more muscle (cpu) and h265 hw decoding, which is good for the future and at the same price as pi2.
Since community is really starting supporting this, and stuff like ubuntu and kodi/openelec recently started to show up (stuff that wasn't around when amlogic s805 was present only on android boxes), it would seem this has real future, in usage and support.

So for today's mediaplayer usage (h264 1080p) i'd get maybe a pi2, for tomorrow (h265 4k)...i guess an odroid.
Personally i don't find the "24 instead of true 23,9" limitation a big problem, while instead a low support on h265 is already starting to be an issue, since ive got plenty of h265 heavy videos.
Just an opinion.
(2015-02-11, 18:20)AndreaSpooky Wrote:
(2015-02-11, 16:55)wrxtasy Wrote: Do you need a buy a separate remote to navigate Kodi on the Odroid, how's CEC HDMI control ?

CEC is partially supported atm (some tv brands are already working), they're working on it.
While 24 is supported, true 23,9 is not supported, atm. Guess they'll handle this in the future.

23,976fps on a 24Hz display produces a video skip about every 40 seconds.....

and just been doing a wee bit of reading and well....

Quote:CEC is not a problem of missing connection but too low voltage. The hardware is there but isn't capable of reading it with a good stability.

Of course this doesn't change too much for most people. It's still an hardware problem. The only difference is that if you can solder you can fix it, they will offer the procedure and they won't void the warranty.
They also said if you're not able to do it and you really need it they will start a recall program for it but it's not yet planned a new revision to fix this problem (since it requires major layout changes).

Looks like major issue for those that value CEC control and a single remote, especially when you start talking potential recalls due to faulty hardware. Sad

(2015-02-11, 20:25)wrxtasy Wrote: Looks like major issue for those that value CEC control and a single remote, especially when you start talking potential recalls due to faulty hardware. Sad

Well you can buy a USB CEC adapter for more than you paid for the whole board...

Seems you should just expect your h/w to arrive broken these days:

i5(i3?) nuc - sata signal too low for some hard drives
celeron nuc - broken cpu/bios
odroid-c1 - cec voltage
rpi2 - photo-sensitivity issue

Looks like everyone should just get a Chromebox and be done with it.
Seems to me that the odroid has great potential. Including a manufacturer that is prepared to recall/replace boxes with a fault (try that with some of the much feted but quite crap android boxes out there.

What the odroid now needs is the level of love that developers gave the pi, and it may become the new h265 'pi' of discerning kodi users.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-11, 21:01)nickr Wrote: What the odroid now needs is the level of love that developers gave the pi, and it may become the new h265 'pi' of discerning kodi users.

And the lack of developers stepping up to do this is the android KODI box problem.

Sometimes its hardware, sometimes its firmware/non kodi software, but it seems to always be something.

Pi hardware, OTOH, is supported probably more thoroughly than running KODI on windows at this point, and that is why Pi is often the hobbyists best choice.
If I was a developer I would probably enjoy working with an open system, rather than the closed shops that are chinese android boxes and the SoC's they contain.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
advise on Raspberry Pi 2 vs generic Andriod boxes0