Raspberry pi 2 VPN set up help
(2015-03-22, 04:37)steve1977 Wrote: Thanks, I got it to work. Took a bit, but now going smoothly. Any idea how to find out what external IP my RPi is now connected to?

Any insight for the rest of us as to what unblocked you? I followed Brian's instructions to the letter - I can manually start openvpn via SSH using the openvpn /storage/.config/vpn-config/openvpn.conf command and confirmed my new IP address using curl ifconfig.me.

When I try to launch the program in Kodi, I get a "Unable to connect to OpenVPN management interface" error message. After reading this page, I saw Brian mention "there isn't much I can do" if the --management option isn't available in my version of openvpn. The version included with the latest build of OpenELEC for Raspberry Pi 2 does not support this option.

What can I do? The options I've thought of so far:

- Content myself with manually starting and stopping OpenVPN via SSH
- Can I get a different version of the openvpn script on my current version of OpenELEC?
- Can I edit Brian's code to remove the --management option from his script? I removed the flag from /storage/.kodi/addons/script.openvpn/resources/lib/openvpn.py file but nothing changed.
- Can I execute scripts directly from the OpenELEC menu as custom actions? Haven't looked into this option at all.
It works fine on all versions of the Rpi-2 including test builds you just need to set the addon up to find the openvpn.bin file.

By default the addon is set to the wrong location on the pi, so it needs to be changed.

If your using milhouses test builds you will need to install the openelec unofficial repo, then install the openvpn binary from there.

Don't worry about the management interface, it wasn't enabled in Frodo but it was enabled in Gotham and is currently, I suspect the error msg is showing because the addon can find the openvpn client.
I haven't tried to get it running automatically, but working with manual start and stop only.

I didn't get TCP to work, but this may be related to things. UDP works well when manually started.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I have tried this ans keep getting an error:-
VPN type = pptp
Network name = Keith
VPN Server = bla.bla.bla.bla
Username = myusername
Password = mypassword
VPN DNS Domain = vpn
Show advanced = on
Require MPPE (128 bit) = on
Refuse CHAP = on
Refuse MS-CHAP=on
Refuse PAP = on
Refuse EAP = on

Any help would be great pleaseHuh Using Pi2 with Millhouse beta.

Malk
Hi sorry for sill question do i need to pay for openvpn certificate? and of so what providers would you recommend.

just little confused any points heading me in the right direction be appreciated
Can anyone actually answer the question? Is it still possible to connect a Pi2 to a ttpt connection my friend created for me and works perfectly on windows?
I don't see why I should pay for an openvnc account if I have a valid free ttpt one set up for meHuh

If it isn't possible, why? More functionality gives the users more options! I realise there may be security issues or whatever, but then that is my choice.

Thanks in advance.

Malk
I'm trying to make this work but getting no where, slowly.

I'm using a brand new Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, and installed the OpenELEC image package from http://openelec.tv/get-openelec and picked the latest stable for Raspberri Pi 2. After configuring it to use the wireless dongle and connecting it to my router, this is the next step I'm working on.

I followed the guide here:
http://brianhornsby.com/blog/how-to-setu...vpn-client

I can successfully launch the openvpn program in SSH, but can't get anywhere inside Kodi. Just a heads up, I'm very new to this whole thing (like 3 hours tops). I don't have a remote, but I do have a mouse and keyboard. I was able to download the script, and install it. When I right click on the program add-on, and choose "Add-on settings", I followed the guide and changed out the path to use SBIN instead of BIN. I then imported my .opvn file from the storage path. But when I go to start the program and pick it from the list, it gives me an error about not being able to connect to the management console. I then tried to SSH in and re-run the openvpn program, and it displays errors about unable to resolve the address.

Can somebody assist me?
Well first off if your just starting out, I'd recommend installing the latest beta 5.9.5 as it will be easier for you in the long run
The guide you referenced on the Brian's site has changed slightly for Openelec 6 and ive changed the bits to suite here..
http://openelec.tv/forum/12-guides-tips-...don#147352

Anyway without a log it's hard to guess but usually with that error message it's because it can't find the openvpn.bin file so I would double check the settings in the addon.
If/ when you upgrade to Isengard this path will change and you will need to install the Openvpn binary from the unofficial repo, that's why I suggest you do it now, save yourself a headache later.
Ok so I need to download a different version of Openelec then? That's fine since I'm still just learning. Smile I'll give the latest beta a try.
You don't need to, but it will be a lot easier for you to migrate Wink
I ran through the steps and think it's working. At least it didn't give me any errors. Is there a way I can verify it's working? Once I connect and try to SSH into the Pi, I can't run the CURL command, says it's unable to resolve the host.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry pi 2 VPN set up help0