Possible to install on Samsung SMART Signage TV's?
Hello all,

I just bought a TV, and while I'm waiting for it to be delivered, I started looking at what it can do and I found out that it has Samsung's SMART Signage platform and has Linux OS (I'm not sure how those 2 co-exist, if they are separate or together)

Here is the System Specs, copied and pasted: Cortex-A9 1GHz Quad Core, 1.5GB DDR3, 4GB FDM, USB 2.0, Linux OS

In theory, it should be possible to install Kodi (or maybe an older XBMC build) on the TV directly, no?

Keep in mind, this is Samsung SMART Signage which means its normally used for running ads in stores, not just a typical SMART TV, I don't know what the differences are, or if there's anyway to get to the bare OS or the terminal without the platform.

This is where you come in, does anyone have any experience or ideas that will help me pull this off? and if so, does it have the specs to handle it? I would very much appreciate your help.
While this isn't a horrible idea, it's just not likely to ever happen. It might be physically possible, but I highly doubt that it would be practical.

This is a professional product from Samsung that is designed to do a very specific thing on their very specific hardware running a very specific linux-based OS (linux is not an OS in itself). They have a simple, but flexible app for running the various slides and videos, and publishing to them, but it's not designed to run any other app. It would be accurate to say that it's not even an "app", but it's just how the entire thing is designed. This means it's almost certain that the OS lacks the proper support that Kodi would need even to consider a port.

Replacing the OS is unlikely. Samsung makes all their own hardware. Samsung can even make ARM chips. I doubt there's any generic parts inside that would allow someone other than Samsung to install their own OS, let alone properly drive the hardware.

It wouldn't be practical from a cost standpoint. This is a product for Samsung. The digital signage software is part of that price, including development, support, and any kind of on-going service options they might provide. The price is adjusted for what is competitive in the specific market of digital signage.

Meanwhile, you can get the raw TV panel from Samsung and throw in some ARM hardware that already runs Kodi for less than what one of these digital signage devices go for.

Because of that, there's really no motivation to port Kodi to Samsung's digital signage TV's. Even if it were easy to port Kodi, and Samsung had all sorts of open documentation, it would still be unlikely that you would find someone to develop this simply based on cost alone.
Honestly, much like their phones you'll need to find away in. Is it worth it to any of the devs out there is the question. I highly doubt it is. Take a POS pc install kodi and plug it into a HDMI port and be on your way.Save yourself the time/hassle.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to install on Samsung SMART Signage TV's?0