• 1(current)
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS?
Lightbulb 
After reading other topics about porting to other consoles has the xbmc team seen some articles on http://ps3dev.info and the possible value of porting to the next playstation since it aparently uses advanced hardware and OpenGL support compared to DirectX APIs?

Im sure one of these companys would generously support the xbmc team with hardware and specs if they made some offical noise.
full ps3 specifications....http://ps3dev.info/content/view/14/29/

PowerPC (PPE)
Clocked at 3.2GHz
General purpose processor
Programmable in C/C++
nVIDIA RSX
Clocked at 550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD up to 1080 progressive with 2 channels
Dolby 5.1ch
256MB XDR system RAM
256MB GDDR3 VRAM
Gigabit Ethernet x3 (1 input, 2 output)
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0
Optical
Backwards compatible

Seriously it looks like a nice platform for xbmc (ps3mc) with extra features waiting to be eaten. The time will come for the original xbox and the xbmc developers need to consider the future, the 360 is a closed platform and doesnt look like getting better anytime soon.

I find it laughable the xbmc team would wait for either Microsoft (lol) or another team to crack the 360 security before considering offical development on another platform even though there will be alternatives.
Im sure even morbo would be pleased.
Quote:I find it laughable the xbmc team would wait for either Microsoft (lol) or another team to crack the 360 security before considering offical development on another platform even though there will be alternatives.
Im sure even morbo would be pleased.

i find you laughable.

a) we have NEVER said we are waiting for the 360 to be cracked, we are waiting for _something_ to be cracked/made available.
b) the ps3 is months off, would it be better if we said we're waiting for it to be cracked?
Also those PS3 specs are way outdated (ok, most is probably accurate but they removed several things)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Quote:Gigabit Ethernet x3 (1 input, 2 output)

this is nowhere to see in current updated ps3 datasheet, for instance.
all features are slowly but surely vanishing (a la sony). there are even rumors that the grpahic card speed has been reduced by 10 to 20%. even the color of the case will be only available in black!

it is indeed laughable that the ps3 is so much overrated... and all that bs about linux is quite amazing, too. i dont see sony releasing a 'computer' you can freely install any linux distro on. if they do, they are shooting themselves in the foot.
spiff Wrote:i find you laughable.

a) we have NEVER said we are waiting for the 360 to be cracked, we are waiting for _something_ to be cracked/made available.
b) the ps3 is months off, would it be better if we said we're waiting for it to be cracked?

yeah just abuse me some more that will solve everything and wtf are you on about you random?

Its just not right for a project to wait for _something_ to be available before they can consider changes to the hardware. If I was to wait for airlines to become safe you wouldnt get anywhere.
dmex Wrote:yeah just abuse me some more that will solve everything and wtf are you on about you random?

Abuse? You're the one that is trying to tell people what these developers will or will not do. He finds you laughable because you assume they are going to develop for the PS3 already which is entirely untrue and based on nothing. Bare in mind that while the PS3 should have the ability to run Linux, the Xbox 360 is rumored now to have a 3rd party dev kit thanks to Microsoft. So it seems that right now either platform would be appealing when needed. Fortunately for the purposes of XBMC, the original xbox seems to work fine for the time being. Honestly the price tag of the PS3 would make it one of the most expensive platforms as far as a media center and the XBMC team might be better off developing their own hardware platform for the cost of the PS3. The xbox was appealing because as a whole it went down to below 200 dollars, making it one of the cheapest media platforms around.

To be honest with the price tags of the PS3 and Xbox360, I think waiting is the smartest thing to do because it may be that more people would rather not even upgrade to either system. All in all time will tell so don't take offense when the developers laugh at your guesses. Developers want something to work off of and your approach is more deserving of a PS3 rumor site.
nuff said
Is there a possibility of XBMC on PS3 due to this??

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2...0-17.shtml

I'm sold on PS3 if it's going to be the case
I sincerely hope so. From past comments, I'd say no, though. Apparently developers don't have the time to convert it for some reasons that I'm sure they'll be keen to explain to you (and that fly entirely over my poor ignorant head Wink).

On the other hand, by having a real OS... I think there's pretty much you couldn't do it on PS3. Mplayer was born on Linux, if I'm not mistaken.
XBMC uses directx. So gues.

Sollie.
If the homebrew scene takes off on the PS3, I'm sure someone will want to make something like XBMC, and the fact that XBMC is open source, they've got a good starting point...

Unfortunately I think its going to be a very long time before homebrew can work on PS3 or 360.
Sojurn Wrote:Unfortunately I think its going to be a very long time before homebrew can work on PS3 or 360.
I guess you didn't visit the link the OT provided. It appears that a full blown version of Linux is coming for PS3, on launch date. If that is the case, mplayer could be functional from day one. When that is true... I guess all you need to replicate the relative majority of XBMC functions is a nice GUI, but the potential for HD playback, in my opinion, will make up for it for a little while. Big Grin Let's cross fingers that Sony doesn't cripple this distribution in some stupid way.
True the linux thing offers potential.. i can't think how Sony could cripple it really. And it's probably a good move.. it lets people do homebrew without cracking the security of the console and opening the door for piracy.
Looks like Yellow Dog Linux will have native support for PS3.

Considering most the core of XBMC is linux, will it be possible to port it over to PS3?

TerraSoft Solutions announced Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 for PS3:
Quote:When will YDL v5.0 Ship?
YDL v5.0 is slated for release mid-November with support for the Sony PS3 first, and support for the former Apple PowerPC product line to follow. Any updates required to support the Apple PowerPC systems following the release for PS3 will be made available via a free download.

How will v5.0 be made available?
Terra Soft will maintain its tradition of a 3-phase product roll-out, starting with delivery via a completely redesigned and rebuilt YDL.net suite of services. Two weeks later, the Terra Soft on-line Store will offer the Install and Source DVDs in a DVD case with printed Guide to Installation, YDL stickers, and the famous YDL Flexible Fliers. Two weeks thereafter, the images will be migrated to the public mirrors.

Which systems will be supported?
Terra Soft will initially launch YDL v5.0 with support for the Sony PS3. By the close of 2006, support for the former Apple PowerPC product line will be made available, with intent to provide both DVD and CD install images via YDL.net Enhanced and the public mirrors. The shipping product will be available as DVD only.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=9287

Please search
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS?3