Slow / Jerky scrolling of PVR recordings list
I have been happily using Confluence and Openelec on several RPi B models with a mythtv backend for several years with the default Confluence skin. Since the switch to Helix (First with OpenElec 5.0 and now 5.0.3) the RVR recordings screen is very jerky to select next/previous if icons are enabled in janbar's new mythtv addon and the list occasionally locks up for several seconds.

After quite a bit of investigation (compiling from source, adding log statements everywhere and generally achieving nothing), I eventually gave up and tried another approach - fiddling with the skin config files.

Quite quickly I localized the issue to the coverart image which appears top right (above the title and plot synopsis) in the PVR Recordings screen.

If I disable this icon (by setting <visible>false</visible> in the correct part of MyPVRRecordings.xml) I can scroll up and down the list as smooth as you like, while the same images are loaded from the backend or local cache and displayed in the list itself (they sometimes take a while to appear in the list, but don't interfere with scrolling the list while they load).

After a bit more investigation, it appears that fanart (displayed in the background behind the list, but also changing as the list is scrolled) doesn't make the list jerky. It laggs behind sometimes while loading from cache or backend, but doesn't seem to affect list scrolling.

So I thought I'd try another skin. I found Aeon Nox 5: Redux which also has coverart icons in the list, fanart in the background and a large coverart icon on the right hand side on the PVR recordings screen.
Rapidly scrolling through the list (up/down arrow, page up/down) using Aeon doesn't show any jerkyness and the icons load fine.
Aeon does have slightly less icons on screen at any one time and doesn't show the title twice and the full plot at the same time, although turning these off in confluence (setting visible to false) didn't remove or improve the jerkyness.

Unfortunately I don't currently have any other frontend hardware (just 2x RPi B, 1x RPi B+) so I can't say for certain if this is a generic Confluence feature, something only affecting the original RPi hardware, or something which also affects RPI2 and maybe other 'lower powered' systems.

I tried adding <background>true</background> to the same section to make the icon load in the background, but this seemed to have no effect. I tried setting <visible>!Container(50).OnNext</visible> (and similar) and commenting out <fadetime>IconCrossfadeTime</fadetime> but these didn't seem to make much difference either.

Given that the RPi can handle list icons, background fanart and a dedicated coverart picture fine with the Aeon skin however, I suspect something could be done to 'fix' Confluence just by editing the right part of a config file somewhere.

I have two questions for the forum:
1) Has anyone else seen this on the same (or different hardware)
2) Can anyone suggest what to do to 'fix' it for my hardware.
Here's what I did to overcome the slowness on stock Confluence in the PVR recordings screen on RPi with OpenElec 5.0.8, in case someone else wants a better performing recordings screen without sacrificing all the pretty pictures:

You do loose the large coverart in the top right hand corner, but background fanart works and gives a pretty good idea of what you're going to get. Also there is more room for the plot which is good as my listings data (uk radio times) usually seems to need it!
  • ssh into the RPi
  • cp -r /usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.confluence /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.confluence2
  • change addon.xml in the /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.confluence2 directory so that id="skin.confluence2" and name="Confluence2"
  • apply the changes below to MyPVRRecordings.xml in the 720p sub-directory
  • reboot the RPi and select 'Confluence2' as skin in System/Settings/Appearance/Skin.
Code:
diff --git a/orig.xml b/MyPVRRecordings.xml
index fa829f5..1ab78e3 100644
--- a/orig.xml
+++ b/MyPVRRecordings.xml
@@ -240,20 +240,10 @@
                        <control type="group">
                                <left>910</left>
                                <top>80</top>
-                               <control type="image">
-                                       <left>10</left>
-                                       <top>0</top>
-                                       <width>290</width>
-                                       <height>230</height>
-                                       <aspectratio aligny="bottom">keep</aspectratio>
-                                       <fadetime>IconCrossfadeTime</fadetime>
-                                       <texture fallback="DefaultVideoCover.png">$INFO[Container(50).ListItem.Icon]</texture>
-                                       <bordertexture border="8">ThumbShadow.png</bordertexture>
-                                       <bordersize>8</bordersize>
-                               </control>
                                <control type="fadelabel">
+                                       <visible>true</visible>
                                        <left>10</left>
-                                       <top>230</top>
+                                       <top>0</top>
                                        <width>290</width>
                                        <height>25</height>
                                        <label>$INFO[Container(50).ListItem.Title]</label>
@@ -266,11 +256,12 @@
                                        <pauseatend>1000</pauseatend>
                                </control>
                                <control type="textbox">
+                                       <visible>true</visible>
                                        <description>Description Value for TV Show</description>
                                        <left>10</left>
-                                       <top>270</top>
+                                       <top>40</top>
                                        <width>290</width>
-                                       <height>225</height>
+                                       <height>455</height>
                                        <font>font13</font>
                                        <align>justify</align>
                                        <textcolor>white</textcolor>

I suspect I may have more luck getting a 'fix' for this in the RPi section of this forum as it looks like some kind of race condition between icons and fade effects which is probably specific to the RPi code.

Hope this proves to be of use until the root cause is properly squished.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow / Jerky scrolling of PVR recordings list0