WASAPI driver GONE!
Hi all,

I have an annoying problem with my Kodi. Basically I have a problem with my WASAPI drivers disapperaring from Kodi:

I have my system set to process sound via the WASAPI drivers for my Onkyo TX-NR727. Everything works perfectly until a certain day for no particular reason at all there is NO sound at all. When I check the settings I notice that Kodi replaced the WASAPI drivers with the DIRECTSOUND ones. The WASAPI drivers are simply GONE, meaning that they cannot even be selected anymore in Kodi.

The only way that I know to solve this is to reinstall the Nvidia Geforce drivers. After installation and after restarting Kodi the WASAPI drivers can be selected again and everything works normally.

This has happened already two times in a few weeks. Is there anyone who could explain what is happening and how I can prevent it from happening again?

Best regards
There aren't separate drivers for Directsound & WASAPI, both API's are contained Nvidia audio drivers so it's impossible to just lose one, so re-installing should never be required.

I'm guessing we are talking HDMI audio here, please confirm?

What order do you power stuff up? if for example you switch on the PC while the AVR is off then the HDMI connection can't be detected by the PC, and if you then start up Kodi before the AVR is on then Kodi will mark the HDMI output as missing and will revert to Directsound.
Hi jjd-uk,

We are indeed talking about HDMI audio.

I never start up Kodi before the AVR is on, Kodi is installed on a pretty standard PC meaning that the way I start up everything is pretty much the same as you would do on a desktop. Anyway when Kodi is launched it is always done manually when by using the Win 8.1 metro interface, so by definition this all goes through the AVR.

Is there any check I can do next time this happens? I guess running debug mode will not help?

Regards
I've found it's not so much when you start Kodi, but when you start the up the PC and the AVR. Kodi is just along for the ride. I have had things get screwed up on my PC like that and it's always been when I've turned on my PC before I've powered up the AVR.

Along the lines of what jjd-uk was saying, do you put your PC to sleep or turn it off?

To rephrase what jjd-uk says: AVR on before PC, AVR off after PC.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
(2015-02-16, 17:51)Streamerke Wrote: I guess running debug mode will not help?

It might, create an advancesettings.xml (if you don't already have one) and enable log level 1, giving you:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel hide="false">1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

See http://kodi.wiki/view/Userdata/advanceds...l#loglevel

Next time it happens exit Kodi, grab the log from Userdata (wiki) and save it somewhere. Note - this might give a clue as to what is happening

Launch Kodi again and exit again grab the new log from Userdata (wiki) and again save somewhere. Note - audio devices for Kodi usage are interrogated at the application launch so this will capture the state of the audio devices.

Then try restarting the PC (with AVR on) and launch Kodi again and exit again grabbing the new log from Userdata (wiki) and again save somewhere. Note - again looking for any change in audio device state registered in log, but this time to see if a reboot while AVR is on makes any difference.

Upload logs to http://pastebin.com/

It would also be interesting to see what Playback tab in Sound shows when it happens:

It could be that you need a EDID override so the HDMI is seen as permanently connected, this can usually be generated by MonInfo.
Thuis ussually happens when your hdmi audiodevice goes missing in Windows. Why that happens i have no clue.
Hi all,

I always have the AVR on before I log on to Windows. However I do not necessarily have powered up the AVR before I power up the PC. I will make sure I do this from now on.

Also thanks for the support! I will ctreate an advancesettings.xml, the instruction is very clear. Just one thing: having this xml will cause a debug log to be created automatically each and every time right, even without the debig option selected on in Kodi?

Regards
Yes that advanced setting will ensure debug logging is always running, but minus the distracting textually debug overlay information such as cpu usage that you get when enabling debugging via the GUI.

Another note on the logging, a new log is created each time you start the application, so it goes something like:

Start Kodi Session 1
Session 1 log created - kodi.log

Close Kodi / Start Kodi Session 2
Session 1 log renamed - kodi.old.log
Session 2 log created - kodi.log

Close Kodi /Start Kodi Session 3
Session 2 log renamed - kodi.old.log
Session 3 log created - kodi.log
Hey all, after lots of messing around I figured out what caused the WASAPI driver to go missing for me.

Under Audio Devices > Select your device > Properties > Advanced > Allow application... and Give exclusive... must be checked - see this screenshot.

If they're not checked, the device will not function as a WASAPI device.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WASAPI driver GONE!0