No sound while playing mp3 44.1KHz (KODIbuntu 14.1 on Intel NUC + HDMI to DENON)
Yes - they are.

As are most mp3s. And the 44.1 khz issue is not content specific.

Also a simple
speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -r 44100 <- should not work
speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -r 48000 <- should work

from the desktop session
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Other test from kodi, the xrandr command you can do via ssh.

Menu sounds not working, after (while running Kodi):
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi-xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 0x48

Menu sounds start working after (while running Kodi)
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi-xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 0xae
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-02-18, 09:20)fritsch Wrote: Other test from kodi, the xrandr command you can do via ssh.

As I see mode 0x48 switches to 30 Hz, mode 0xae switches to 60 Hz.

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm your expectations. Menu sounds keep working in both modes.
Good - then please to the speaker-test tests from the desktop session.

Verify the sound device to be plughw:0,3 prior by checking aplay -l
(2015-02-18, 09:25)shturm Wrote:
(2015-02-18, 09:20)fritsch Wrote: Other test from kodi, the xrandr command you can do via ssh.

As I see mode 0x48 switches to 30 Hz, mode 0xae switches to 60 Hz.

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm your expectations. Menu sounds keep working in both modes.

It's the other way round.
(2015-02-18, 09:18)fritsch Wrote: Also a simple
speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -r 44100 <- should not work
speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -r 48000 <- should work

from the desktop session

First of all, this works only if I'm in the Settings screen. If I'm in Home screen, I'm getting "Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy"

Anyway, this is what I've got:
speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -r 44100 -- does not work
speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -r 48000 -- works
speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -r 44100 -- now works !!

This confirms my previous observation that playback of 48KHz affects subsequent playback of 44.1KHz.
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
I said: quite kodi before doing those.

kodi will block the audio device for at least one minute (see "keep audio alive" setting)

But those tests are nice.

Redo them, from the desktop, kodi not running and post your findings on bugzilla.

Edit: And capture the dmesg output with the 0xe attached afterwards.
I cannot exit to desktop - Kodi restarts as soon as I enter password.
How to prevent it from restarting?
(2015-02-18, 09:41)shturm Wrote: I cannot exit to desktop - Kodi restarts as soon as I enter password.
How to prevent it from restarting?

Never mind, figured it out.

The results are the same, without Kodi running:

speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -r 44100 -- does not work
speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -r 48000 -- works
speaker-test -D plughw:0,3 -r 44100 -- now works !!
You need to change the session, it's a bit hidden on the top right.
Given the reply of Intel guys ( https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75038 ), is there anything else that can be done to intestigate and fix this issue?
You can try to post your issue on the ALSA user mailing list or add takashi iwai (http://www.alsa-project.org/~tiwai/) to the DRM bug report?
Although this thread is old, I thought I would post my solution to this problem to possibly help others in the future. I ran into the same situation with a 44K MP3 with Linux Kodi 16.1. With the help of this thread to diagnose the problem, I took the video clip and opened it in AVIDemux. Then changed the Audio on left from Copy to mp3 or aac. Move down two buttons to Filters and check Resampling (Hz) box with value of 48000. Click OK which returns to main GUI. Go to File>Save>Save Video. Give a title and click Save. This output file played the audio perfectly in Kodi.
It's a kernel bug and still needs fixing: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97442

Resampling everything is a bad solution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound while playing mp3 44.1KHz (KODIbuntu 14.1 on Intel NUC + HDMI to DENON)0