Amazon FTV 2- What would be the ideal features for Kodi playback
I know it might be wishful thinking on my part but Amazon has expressed intent to release 2nd gen FTV possibly in 2016. What features/functionality/capability you would like to see in it that would make it an ideal Kodi device.

Some that I can think of off the top:
Playback of all HD Audio formats
24p playback/Deinterlacing
Larger storage
More USB ports
Remote with volume control and power on/off (or sleep button)

Other: Native Steam in home Streaming app

We might not see any of those and for all I know they may completely lock the system down for side loading Kodi but one can only hope.

What would your list look like?
2016?! ... Was hoping they'd have a gen 2 out this year. Need/want everything you listed, plus at least 16GB storage (ideally 32GB or even 64GB), and VC-1 support. Doubt we'll get HD audio.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
HDMKV.. they mentioned two years. I think it was released early 2014 so that would put gen 2 release possibly in 2016. They are looking to release a 4k capable device and at the rate the fad is catching on, they might do it earlier than 2016, who knows!

I forgot about VC-1 playback. That would be a must have now, wouldnt it? I would pay even twice the price if they put all those features in there and provide 64 GB storage.
1. A better SoC. I want something with better single core performance.

2. Something that de-interlaces in hardware, plus can play VC1 and the HEVC files that should be more common then.

3. Amazon takes their Fire OS fork and adds in needed media features like 24p support (maybe) or HD audio support (less likely).

4. Real gigabit on the ethernet (might be nice for 4K stuff).

5. An easier way to add Kodi to the stock launcher, and full Netflix performance without having to kill Kodi in-between use.

Quote:...full Netflix performance without having to kill Kodi in-between use.
Something different than what you can do now?... adding icon/link to Netflix on Kodi menu via Add-ons > Programs?
My HT
(2015-02-19, 23:29)hdmkv Wrote:
Something different than what you can do now?... adding icon/link to Netflix on Kodi menu via Add-ons > Programs?

Yes. I mean that solution is great and all, but it would be better if the default Amazon launcher could handle more things elegantly. This is all wish list, so the bottom of the list is like 1/1000th the want of the top of the list.

(2015-02-19, 23:31)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2015-02-19, 23:29)hdmkv Wrote:

Yes. I mean that solution is great and all, but it would be better if the default Amazon launcher could handle more things elegantly. This is all wish list, so the bottom of the list is like 1/1000th the want of the top of the list.

This is how I handle it.

Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
descent MPEG 2 playback.
Tinwarble, what skin is that? CCM? Thanks.
My HT
Looks like Aeon Nox
(2015-02-25, 20:57)hdmkv Wrote: Tinwarble, what skin is that? CCM? Thanks.

Aeon Nox 4 modified to run on Helix.

I'm currently using Aeon Shednox: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209412

How to set it up is in the description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMTDmPo8...tion=share
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Nice, thanks.
My HT
Android 5.x (Lollipop) or later OS framework will be a must on the software side I think.

HEVC (H.265) codec support for 4K Netflix, and VP9 codec support for 4K YouTube would be nice.

Additional bonus would also be HDMI 2.0 to support 4K at 60 Hz / 60 fps playback.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon FTV 2- What would be the ideal features for Kodi playback0