Parental Controls
I am upgrading from a single HTPC to multiple rooms synced with mySql. My HTPCs are a mixture of Windows 7, Ubuntu, and OpenElec. I will be running a Ubuntu file server with SnapRAID to handle the media.

Because a few of the HTPCs are only for young children, I'm know trying to determine the best way to limit their movies and tv shows to those I choose. The HTPCs used by adults will need both the adult and children's videos.

I'm thinking the best way to implement this is to use two sources. I would use a directory stucture of Movies\Main and Movies\Children, some HTPCs would use just the children's source and some would add both sources. Will this work correctly? Is there a better or more elegant solution I should be considering?
(2015-02-19, 23:27)IAVu3jlas6XH Wrote: I am upgrading from a single HTPC to multiple rooms synced with mySql. My HTPCs are a mixture of Windows 7, Ubuntu, and OpenElec. I will be running a Ubuntu file server with SnapRAID to handle the media.

Because a few of the HTPCs are only for young children, I'm know trying to determine the best way to limit their movies and tv shows to those I choose. The HTPCs used by adults will need both the adult and children's videos.

I'm thinking the best way to implement this is to use two sources. I would use a directory stucture of Movies\Main and Movies\Children, some HTPCs would use just the children's source and some would add both sources. Will this work correctly? Is there a better or more elegant solution I should be considering?

I'm far from an expert but ihere is my two cents:

If you are using a shared library then all the systems would see the same content but the children systems would only be able to play the sources they have defined. So, if you do what you suggest, the children would see the box art and descriptions from any video in the library. That may be ok with you, or it may not.

I would be tempted two setup to databases in the mysql system. One for the children and one for the others. That way, the libraries would just contain the content appropriate to the system. I would then do as you suggest and just defines the appropriate sources
tssgery,

That sounds like what I'm looking for. I didn't realize it would take a second database. I'll look into how to set that up unless I see some other suggestions here. Thanks!
Having the second library will allow you to only select those videos in the library, pretty important IMHO.

I thought setting up a second database would be easy but I just reminded myself about how Kodi uses the mysql instance. It will create the database for you, based upon the version of the schema. That will make it impossible to have two databases in the same mysql instance unless there is some kind of workaround.

You could setup a second mysql instance, but that seems like it might be overkill.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in with a better idea
This is how I did it. The kid's chromebox has a kids profile. The main chromebox has two profiles, a master and a kids. Everything gets scanned into the master and kids movies only in the kids profile. You create a different database/schema name in the advancedsettings.xml for the kids profile.

One thing I had to do was put all kids movies in a kids only share otherwise it was a pain to scrape on the kids profile.

Make sure all the kids profiles have the same advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Parental Controls0