Initial experiance with RPi-2 - i want a better case...
After much delay in transit, i got my RPi-2, case and power adapter yesterday Big Grin
So, finally i could install this new RPi-2 into its new plastic RPi-B+ case and have a play.

My initial finding was there was some mismatch in the internally openings within the case, so i guess CPU placement is a little different between RPi-B and RPi-2.
Using a heatsink would require a little plastic surgery which is no big deal.

I then installed OpenELEC on a 4GB class 6 SD flash card i had lying around, and dispite having some concerns it wasn't class 10, all seemed to work OK.

But when connected via HDMI cable to my Dell U2711 monitor, i had occassional red dots scattered on the screen accompanied with an occasional loss of video.
I thought there was some hardware issue with my new toy, however, it worked without such picture issues when connected to my Pioneer plasma pannel.
As such, i put such problems down to a possible dodgy HDMI cable that i rarely use, and then only with my monitor.
I'll play a little more to see if such issues come back but watching a 2hr BD rip i saw no picture issues at all Big Grin

I then set up the Pioneer for CEC but i had some issues getting CEC to work between the TV and RPi.
However after a few reboots, it seemed to come good all by itself.
Now i like controlling the both TV and RPi2 with the same TV remote, though i can;t map actions to buttones like i could with the BT remote.
As such, i simple need to work out what actions all buttons have on the RPi and hope that this is enough Nod

I didn't have so much luck with getting my ASUS BT adapter working together with my PS3 BT/IR remote.
These devices worked well together on my HP WS but on the RPi, it's likley i'll stick with CEC.
As such, i'm not too concerned with lack of BT remote at the moment.

Obviously i've got some more work to optimise the setup but it looks promising Smile

However one issue is the case itself, and the fact that there are cables coming out from both the rear and side of the case,
It's unsightly at best.

So does anyone know if there is a quality metal case that allows:
  • the RPI-2 to lay inside the case and directly expose the Ethernet and USB ports via the rear of the case
  • allow for thermal pad to connect the processor to the metal case for better passive cooling and thus overclocking
  • allow the power and activity led to be clearly seen on the front via optical (clear plastic) channels
  • also expose the micro USB, HDMI and audio ports via the rear of the case (using quality built very short cables)
  • provide for a hardware button (via supplied software) to turn on/shut down the RPi-2
  • expose some of the GPOI headers at the rear via RS232 sytle port
  • be not much bigger in length and width than a 2.5" or even 3.5"" HDD (though it will be taller)... size is not that big an issue under the TV...

Maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way and i should tape the RPi to the back of my TV but i'm not fond of that approach.
An accessable case with all cables plugged into the rear of the box seems more logical to me Tongue

Anyone know of such a case and/or short (panel styles) cables one could use in building such a case?

What would be the best OS to install if one wants to fiddle more with their setup? OpenELEC, Raspbian, others?

Cheers.

PS:
I guess i need to buy an MPEG-2 and VC-1 licence to play such media though H264 is included...
Which brings me to the question, what is the most taxing H264 BD rip that people are aware of?
I'm a XBMC novice :)
Why do you want a metal case??
I wouldn't choose a metal one not with it being a open board not unless it was well insulated.
There's some really nice brushed plastic ones on eBay that have all the cut outs you need.
I've then seen people adapt them so they can be screwed onto the Vesa mount on the back of the TV
My motherboard sits in a metal case so i can't understand your concern about open boards and insulation Huh That's what stand-offs are for Nod

And i already have a plastic case but don't like cables being plugged into the rear and the side of the case, it's simply untidy when on a shelf under the TV.

So do you have any links to cases, even plastic ones, that would have cables access via rear ports only, i've not found any in my quick search?
Check out the flirc case. Aluminium with built-in heat sink
(2015-02-20, 13:19)Mark142 Wrote: Check out the flirc case. Aluminium with built-in heat sink

Seen the FLIRC case but it, like all RPi cases i've seen, has connectors on rear and on the side Huh

For a neat HTPC case, i want the connectors only on the rear as i don't even like to see USB connectors on the front (as in teh NUC) Nod
(2015-02-20, 13:15)skylarking Wrote: My motherboard sits in a metal case so i can't understand your concern about open boards and insulation Huh That's what stand-offs are for Nod

And i already have a plastic case but don't like cables being plugged into the rear and the side of the case, it's simply untidy when on a shelf under the TV.

So do you have any links to cases, even plastic ones, that would have cables access via rear ports only, i've not found any in my quick search?
Yeah I know about the stand offs but didn't think they would be available for a pi all the cases I've seen it just sits flush on the bed.
Can't remember seeing any cases that are designed for all the cables to go out one side would you need adapters to change the angles
(2015-02-20, 12:32)skylarking Wrote: Maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way and i should tape the RPi to the back of my TV but i'm not fond of that approach.
An accessable case with all cables plugged into the rear of the box seems more logical to me Tongue

Why exactly would you consider the latter to be more logical? What benefit does a case you need to pull out in order to access the ports have over a solution where you have to reach behind the TV?
(2015-02-20, 13:53)DocG Wrote:
(2015-02-20, 12:32)skylarking Wrote: Maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way and i should tape the RPi to the back of my TV but i'm not fond of that approach.

Why exactly would you consider the latter to be more logical? What benefit does a case you need to pull out in order to access the ports have over a solution where you have to reach behind the TV?
If the TV is hung on the wall, or as in my case screwed to the cabinet top so it won't fall over, getting behind the TV to access a TV port or a RPi is a pain.

It's much simpler to have the RPi sitting on the cabinet top under the TV where access is assured by simply reaching for it.
But then asthetics comes into it as it's on view to all and that's why i don't want to see cables shooting out the side of a small box.
Fair enough if the TV is fixed and it's hard to get behind it. Luckily I don't have that problem, so I've got no issues hiding all my mess behind it.

Can't help you with the case I'm afraid, but you may have to make that a DIY project. I've got one of my RPi2 sitting in a nice case under the TV, and that one network cable coming out the side and going straight back doesn't really bother me all that much.
There was a kickstarter for a "tidy-cable" case for Pi.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/203...escription

Might be worth investigating.
(2015-02-20, 14:22)DocG Wrote: I've got no issues hiding all my mess behind it.
That's seariously messed up Big Grin
(2015-02-20, 14:43)popcornmix Wrote: There was a kickstarter for a "tidy-cable" case for Pi.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/203...escription

Might be worth investigating.
Thanks for the link, that's the sort of info i was after though i'm not a fan of 'round' cases with long looped internal cables.

Making a case is the easier part, sourcing the special cables or building an alternative to cables is the harder part.

Finding a very short right angle HDMI plug with a panel mount female HDMI plug on the other end, like a marriage between this cable and this cable would be a start, but i've had no luck finding one.

Another option is to make a small circuit rectangular board, similar in size to the RPi, with uUSB, HDMI and video/audio connectors on the short side and flat flex cable connectors on the long side.
The flex cable connector locations would match the location of the uUSB, HDMI and video/audio connectors on the RPi.
Then it may be possible to replace the RPi uUSB, HDMI and video/audio connectors with flat flex cable connectors (they come in all sorts of sizes).
If such is possible, then having these two boards next to each other with flat flex cable connections between the two in a purpose built case should do the trick nicely.
But working with such fine tracks on the RPi without the correct soldering station (which i don't have) does not sound like fun.
Add an on/off toggle button via the GPIO and this may be a good kickstarter campaign (but i don't have the manufacturing contacts to attempt this on any scale).

IIRC, media center use makes up a large base of RPi users so the raspberrypi.org should consider laying out a board with all connectors on one side to better suit most such usage (where the box is usually placed under the TV). Alternatively, producing a variant of the current layout with flat flex connectors for the uUSB, HDMI and audio/video signals along with a new daughter board to provide the rear uUSB, HDMI and audi/video connectors would be a no brainer for the org. But i doubt they would consider such usage their core focus despite how people are actually using them...

C'est la vie Tongue
Got the $$ to spare and you want Bling and elegance with the RPi hidden internally then Slice by Five Ninjas is worthy of consideration....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fiv...r-and-more

Smile

popcorn that case without the power adapter cost $75 OWCH and increased the footprint of the Pi considerably
Slice by Five Ninjas is already outdated before it hit the shelves and already was overpriced IMO (as compared to the cometition currently)

ask yourself skylarking how much total are you spending. if it comes close to 20% under from a chromebox then sell your new pi (right now the demand is higher than supply so you might even be quids in) then buy a chromebox. no need to buy anything extra. amazing case and you should have alot more flexibility and maybe more fun.
(2015-02-21, 04:12)wrxtasy Wrote: Got the $$ to spare and you want Bling and elegance with the RPi hidden internally then Slice by Five Ninjas is worthy of consideration....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fiv...r-and-more

Smile
That would sound interesting when the RPi compute module is updated to quad core and 1G RAM but only if the Slice package was not prices at some stupid 'apple' level (and it didn't loose CEC and a USB port in the process).
I'm also not a fan of 25 programable leds that bloat cost for no reason other than some usless bling Tongue

(2015-02-21, 04:34)MediaPi Wrote: ask yourself skylarking how much total are you spending. if it comes close to 20% under from a chromebox then sell your new pi (right now the demand is higher than supply so you might even be quids in) then buy a chromebox. no need to buy anything extra. amazing case and you should have alot more flexibility and maybe more fun.
MediaPi, thanks for the feedback, i am lightly questioning the buz surrounding the RPi-2 as a media center but it has a strong community which is more than can be said for lots of other arm boxes.
In reality, i already have a fully fuctional HTPC (a HP Z210 WS) and simply bought the RPi-2 to have a play.
If the RPi-2 use case was up to the task, i could retire the HTPC monster and turn it into a server, but as yet the RPi-2 has some aesthetic shortcomings.

Guess i'll keep digging this hole until i get tired of it or find an acceptable solution Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Initial experiance with RPi-2 - i want a better case...0