Initial experiance with RPi-2 - i want a better case...
(2015-02-23, 03:56)noggin Wrote: The lack of HD Audio isn't a licensing issue, it's a hardware limitation of the Pi and Pi2's GPU. The HDMI audio bandwidth tops out at 4 x 192kHz streams, whereas you need the bandwidth for 6 x 192kHz streams to bitstream Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA.
The RPi-2 Specs indicates the video output is HDMI (rev 1.3 & 1.4).
I understood that anything HDMI 1.3 or later would support DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming.
But after looking at the version info on the HDMI wiki, DTS-HD MA and Dobly TrueHD are optional features of HDMI 1.3 and later Angry
(and pitty the version table within the HDMI wiki doesn't specify OPT along with a color code which features are optional within each version, it would be easier to know the status at a glance Huh )
I wrongly assumed that RPi-2 HDMI version 1.3 could bitstream these HD audio formats, which i guess many would, without knowing that such features are optional so thanks for the clarification Smile

In one sence, it's sloppy RPi-2 specs coming out from the RPi foundation/RS components, especially as the HDMI cabala doesn't want post 2012 products to specify version numbers.
The HDMI cabala requires post 2012 products to specify 'features' which can only mean spec sheets must get more detailed in this day and age where specs seems to be getting dumbd down.

So what other 'features' are included/missing from RPi-2 HDMI v1.3/1.4, is there a definitive list somewhere?

Cheers.
I'm a XBMC novice :)
(2015-02-23, 04:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Big big hint if your worried about power supply corruption issues. Do all your Metadata scraping externally from the RPI and store that with your video or audio files in separate folders on your NAS or HDD.. ie Metadata not on the microSDHC card.
This leads to an easy and speedy library re-import if things go wrong, especially with a large library.
I personally use MediaElch, which is comprehensive and quick.
My ripping is done on my main PC where i gather associated metadata from the www.
Post ripping, i move the video file and it's associated metadata to the USB HDDs, so it's just for the RPi-2 to pull in the local stuff when i plug the USB HDD.

So yes, having /storage saved on the USB HDD is on the cards once i fully understand auto UUID mounting within openELEC (or whatever OS i'll settle on).
Seems a little redundant but it should remove some activity from flash giving it a longer life, make access faster, recovery simpler should the flash get corrupted.
I guess it will also be a simpler solution than RPi UPS with auto shutdown cron job Smile

Cheers.
Sit down, now deep breathe in, deep breathe out.

Your overthinking this completely for such a cheap media device, Most of us have none of the problems you are contemplating. The only question you have not asked is shielding from Electro Magnetic Pulses Wink

I don't know anyone that buys a device based on HDMI standards, we look to see if the hardware is capable of playing video and audio codecs first.

Just rename your HDD's and keep it simple man. Openelec Automount mine, no user input needed.

There is a wealth of information in two big RPi 2 threads both in this Hardware section and the Raspberry section of the Kodi forum. They are worth reading....

(2015-02-23, 05:03)skylarking Wrote:
(2015-02-23, 03:56)noggin Wrote: The lack of HD Audio isn't a licensing issue, it's a hardware limitation of the Pi and Pi2's GPU. The HDMI audio bandwidth tops out at 4 x 192kHz streams, whereas you need the bandwidth for 6 x 192kHz streams to bitstream Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA.
The RPi-2 Specs indicates the video output is HDMI (rev 1.3 & 1.4).
I understood that anything HDMI 1.3 or later would support DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming.
But after looking at the version info on the HDMI wiki, DTS-HD MA and Dobly TrueHD are optional features of HDMI 1.3 and later Angry
(and pitty the version table within the HDMI wiki doesn't specify OPT along with a color code which features are optional within each version, it would be easier to know the status at a glance Huh )
I wrongly assumed that RPi-2 HDMI version 1.3 could bitstream these HD audio formats, which i guess many would, without knowing that such features are optional so thanks for the clarification Smile

In one sence, it's sloppy RPi-2 specs coming out from the RPi foundation/RS components, especially as the HDMI cabala doesn't want post 2012 products to specify version numbers.
The HDMI cabala requires post 2012 products to specify 'features' which can only mean spec sheets must get more detailed in this day and age where specs seems to be getting dumbd down.

So what other 'features' are included/missing from RPi-2 HDMI v1.3/1.4, is there a definitive list somewhere?

Cheers.

I think you are being a little unfair. The Pi 2 costs £25...

The HDMI specs have always had mandatory and optional elements. HDMI 1.4a includes 4K @ 24p - but you wouldn't expect every HDMI 1.4a compliant TV to be 4K, nor every HDMI 1.4a media player to play 4K would you? Same for 3D and HD Audio. The point of the spec is that it allows for backwards compatibility - so DTS HD has the DTS Core, Dolby True HD has the accompanying Dolby Digital track, 3D content will replay in 2D etc.

There are so many elements that the various HDMI standards supports now (ARC, CEC, HEAC, x.v. Conor, Deep Color, 10 and 12 bit video, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4, YCrCb, RGB, no doubt soon Rec 2020 if not already) , you can't expect every device to support all of them.
(2015-02-23, 10:48)noggin Wrote: The Pi 2 costs £25...
I've seen you mention this twice now noggin but its ~£30 (if you mean without VAT then since price is with VAT by default I think it should be said £25 without VAT) pedantic mode of Smile
(2015-02-23, 10:48)noggin Wrote: I think you are being a little unfair. The Pi 2 costs £25...

The HDMI specs have always had mandatory and optional elements. HDMI 1.4a includes 4K @ 24p - but you wouldn't expect every HDMI 1.4a compliant TV to be 4K, nor every HDMI 1.4a media player to play 4K would you? Same for 3D and HD Audio. The point of the spec is that it allows for backwards compatibility - so DTS HD has the DTS Core, Dolby True HD has the accompanying Dolby Digital track, 3D content will replay in 2D etc.

There are so many elements that the various HDMI standards supports now (ARC, CEC, HEAC, x.v. Conor, Deep Color, 10 and 12 bit video, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4, YCrCb, RGB, no doubt soon Rec 2020 if not already) , you can't expect every device to support all of them.
A specification should clearly define the capability of the device, regardless of the price point of the device in question.

As is, HDMI has mandatory and optional parts to their "versions" and the cabal setting such standards have not clearly and openly stated what is what.
Hint, key work is openly...
And the wiki doesn't clarify the situation either.
IIRC, many in the industry didn't like the provision of optional features and a later change of direction to "features sets" rather than "version numbers".
It created a murkiness that should not exist in any "standard" as it does nothing but add confusion.

That's where the bulk of my anger was directed - at the HDMI cabal - not at the RP organization and their RPi products.
I don't think i'm being unfair in my critisism.

And i don't expect every box sold should have every optional feature possible - just that every box sold specifies exactly what it is capable of by having accurate and detailed spec sheets.
In that way, the buyer knows what they will get before they hand over their money.

So if a box only supports 1280x720p, CEC, DTS, DD, CEC, RGB & YCbCr 4:2:2 & 4:4:4 over HDMI, they should state that in their spec and then everyone knows.

And remember, this is a general gripe not directed at RPi, though i am confused at the RPi spec sheet stating "HDMI (rev 1.3 & 1.4)" which seems rather stupid thing to see in a spec - just what does such mean?

And to clarify the point of any "spec" is not to provide for backward compatability but to clearly define the capabilities and/or parameters of a given thing (device).
Backward compatability, if any, can be "backed" into a spec to ensure the "thing" will work with older "things".

And to wrxtasy, my RPi-2 is now working well, with 4x renamed HDD, BT remote, CEC, etc.
I don't need to take a chill pill Tongue
I'm relaxed and just wanting to find little improvements to this cheap box, after all isn't that what the "community" is in it for, hacking, learning... ?
Cubox-i2ex is more aesthetic and has all the cables at the back. But its a plastic case. So back to the drawing board.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Initial experiance with RPi-2 - i want a better case...0