Storage Needs for Chromebox
Hi

I am considering the ASUS CHROMEBOX-M004U - what do you use / suggest to use for larger capacity storage? An external USB Drive connected to the Chromebox? Open to suggestions, main uses would be for holding large amounts of movie/TV shows as well as Roms/emulators, etc.

thanks
What is large amounts? That is a relative term. To me a large amount means over 20 Tbs, which can't (shouldn't) be done in an external. For "large" you need a NAS.

I will say for roms I suggest putting those on a larger SD card in the Chromebox's reader. At least for cartridge games, that is what I do.

i wouldn't worry about the semantics of capacity size just what are the options used. Direct connected, wireless storage
I personally have 2 20+TB Unraid NASes connected to my kodi stations by either gigabit ethernet connections or 5GHz N connections. My Chromebox is hooked up via the 5GHz N, which is fast enough to stream my largest Blu Ray rip.

I have a big bias against external drives for media use, I just don't think they were designed in many cases to be abused like that. I think for media use you need a device with active cooling and which gives you some level of parity protection. That means a NAS.

Sounds right to me. thanks
On a smaller scale I use a cheap Dlink nas with 2 mirrored WD red 3tb drives setting in a closet via wired connection to router. Simply works and I have less than $400 invested.
The USB external drives do not have the duty cycle needed and will fail quickly under this load.
+1 on a NAS. Separate the data from the Kodi client.
WD My Cloud NAS is a good choice at affordable prices.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
I use a NAS with my Chromebox for storage as well.

I have tried a small flash drive to use as kodi cache, but there seems to be a connection issue as the video sometimes stops to early. Cache shows as 100%, but video ends 5 minutes early. I could play the video again and it starts where I left off. I just cache Kodi to RAM now to prevent this. I have not tried playing a video straight from the USB drive so I can't comment if that would have a similar problem.
Nas or pc as server. If you want to get into pvr or transcoding via, say, mediabrowser get a pc and stuff it with hard drives.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Storage Needs for Chromebox0