Linux TrueHD / DTS-HD works intermittently
I'm finding that I can plan the same file repeatedly, and sometimes the HD audio will work, and sometimes I will get silence.

Kodi : 14.1, built from source snapshot
Hardware: IvyBridge with HD4000 graphics (i7-3770), Denon-AVR2310ci

Unlike my last attempt when alsa and driver issues were still being shaken out around 2012, the receiver is indicating what I think is the correct format, but no sound most of the time.

To test this, I've been using the Dolby and DTS TrueHD and DTS-HD logos and speaker test files from http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/ (I've actually never gotten even intermittent HD audio from one of my blu ray MKVs)

I'll play the demo hd_dts_animated_logo_lossless-DWEU.m2ts repeatedly in Kodi, and it seems completely random whether i'll get silence or sound.

Any help?

--- Carl
Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'll grab a log after work. I had a log, but was looking for an "attach file" option in my OP. Guess the log uploader plug-in is now the way to go.

Thanks.

--- Carl
pastebin.com / paste.ubuntu.com / xbmclogs.com
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Try this log: http://xbmclogs.com/p0g0damyl

On this run, the first two "OnPlayMedia" runs produced sound, the second two did not. I don't think it's related to the file. While this time working favored the shorter file, this morning it was the other way around.
Besides your broken libva-driver-intel installation it does not look bad.

Try to get: vainfo going - you currently run completely without hw acceleration and then provide another logfile, please
Yeah. libva-driver-intel wasn't even installed. That was somewhat intentional. When I picked the hardware for this built, I was tired of the seemingly endless parade of HW acceleration never quite delivering everything I wanted (or breaking every other upgrade) that I've experienced over the last 10 years of HTPCs builds. So this time I just chucked it and used a high end i7 from the year I build this hardware. (2012, I think.) It plays HD just fine with the CPU bumping along about 80% idle.

Still, point taken. Installed the libva intel drivers and HD video now takes almost zero CPU. So no reason not to keep that change.

But, no change in my HD audio results. Denon receiver still says it's receiving the HD signal just fine, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Same as before I installed the libva-driver-intel. I've been trying both TrueHD and DTS-HD sources. It's seems to be random which works and which does not.

As a side note, standard definition pass through DTS or AC-3seems to work just fine.

Kodi log: http://xbmclogs.com/pesy6mgl6 - First few plays work, last one did not.
vainfo : http://xbmclogs.com/pxiwiykhc

What's a good test to try and split the difference between the Kodi software and the rest of the stack from Fedora? Most other video players seem limited in their ability to do pass through HD audio.

Thanks.

--- Carl
You can use aplay directly to play truehd, dts-hda - that way you don't need kodi for testing. There are some samples arround the net, search for anssi dts-hd aplay
Per another thread, grabbed samples from http://www.avenard.org/files/media/media...ssthrough/. I've also figured out that I can extract my own spdif samples with ffmpeg.

I was about to say that everything was working fine there. I successfully got aplay to pass through DTS-HD and TrueHD sound as expected about a dozen times in a row:
aplay -D 'hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1,AES0=2' -c8 -fs16_le -r19200 HDAudioSamples/testi.truehd.anssi1.ff.60s.spdif

But after that working a dozen times, I went back to XBMC to try a clip... No sound on that trial. Then I went back to aplay, and this time no sound.

Feeling masochistic, I they ran aplay with AES0=0, and got noise (as I expected). Then back to aplay with a working AES0 value, and it worked again. It's been random enough it's hard to say is this is pointing to an initialization issue, or the coin flips just lined up that time.
Reminds me of: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75038#c11

Btw, make checks if you can reproduce differently if you switch the refreshrate of your display (what kodi does, when Adjust Refreshrate to match video is enabled). You can use kodi-xrandr to set fractional modelines.
I'm not sure my issue exactly matches that one, but there are similarities. They say they are having problems with non-passthrough audio when refresh rate is > 30Hz. My problem is with passthrough, and I see it even if I match my refresh rate to the video source (commonly, 24Hz), or if video isn't even involved at all (for example, with audio only with samples played via aplay.)

Apart from that, I'm not really following what test you are asking me to run. I used to have "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" disabled, so my refresh rate was always 60Hz

I enabled "Adjust display refresh rate to match video", but my results were the same - Sometimes I get sound, sometimes I don't. But now I am seeing my TV switch refresh rates as expected.
Well, Thanks for the help.

At this point I'm inclined to say the problem is not specific to Kodi and will dig down the path of ALSA and intel drivers.
Hi, did you make any progress with the ALSA and Intel drivers route?
No. I really haven't gotten a chance to dig any deeper. I've also been trying to hook up a mythTV back-end, but it crashes. And I am also working on another project that may result in a different receiver, so that may change the equation.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TrueHD / DTS-HD works intermittently0