How does Kodi sort by Year?
I have 1 Fire TV and 2 Fire TV sticks running Kodi, everything is working pretty well.

One question I can't figure out. I sort my movies by "Year --> Descending" so the newest stuff is on top. When I do this, 2014 movies stay together, and 2013 movies stay together, but within the year it's kind of a cluster. There will be movies listed higher in the sort that came out months after movies sorted later in the list. I can't really see a rhyme or reason to it. I just use the MovieDB scraper, not nfo files, I assumed it would sort descending by the IMDB USA release date, but apparently it doesn't. All three of my Kodi's are the same in this regard.

Is this normal, any way to change it or that's just how it is?

Thanks.
Why do you assume US release date?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-22, 07:58)nickr Wrote: Why do you assume US release date?

I suppose I should have said country of origin. Maybe IMDB can tell your location when you visit the page and the date changes depending on where you are, but when I search a movie it shows something like this at the top, "86 min - Comedy - 14 December 2014 (USA)" ... I guess I just assume that is what Kodi is using and it's always USA for me.
But you said you were using themoviedb?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
http://kodi.wiki/view/Databases#movie

In this table only the year seems to be saved.
(2015-02-22, 09:37)nickr Wrote: But you said you were using themoviedb?

Well, the Kodi scraper uses themoviedb, but I assume that site is pulling most of its info from IMDB.

(2015-02-22, 09:44)nickr Wrote: http://kodi.wiki/view/Databases#movie

In this table only the year seems to be saved.

That makes sense then. As I said, the years group together fine, but within the year I can't tell how it's sorted. I want it sorted by release date, so a movie that came out in December 2014 is closer to the top of the list than a movie release in January 2014, but maybe that isn't possible without nfo files. I'm surprised it only pulls the year, the full date is listed on themoviedb and IMDB, why truncate it down to just the year, it's less accurate for sorting. I'm sure there is a reason, who knows.
When I sort by Year (Descending), it's in the order 2014-2013-2012 etc.

Unfortunately the Titles within those years are automatically also sorted as Descending. So when I sort my movies list by Year, it will always start with some 2014 movie whose title starts with a Z or Y. I'd like to be able to have a second sorting order that's independent of the first sorting order. So, that you can choose within Year to sort all movies (all within the same year, that is) by Title (ascending or descending) or Rating (ascending or descending) or whatever.

Perhaps that is possible, but I haven't figured it out yet. It might also make the sort-by-year order for you a bit more helpful, even if it won't sort by month and day.
(2015-02-22, 10:37)essential Wrote:
(2015-02-22, 09:37)nickr Wrote: But you said you were using themoviedb?

Well, the Kodi scraper uses themoviedb, but I assume that site is pulling most of its info from IMDB.

No!
(2015-02-22, 20:51)nickr Wrote: No!

I spot checked about 10 of my movies, all the release dates matched between themoviedb and IMDB. Even if they are separate databases, they contain basically the same information.
ThemovieDB doesn't pull information from IMDB as far as I know but those that add and maintain movies on that site will probably get most of their information from sites like IMDB. Since IMDB is considered one of the most reliable sources that's understandable.

Back to the original question: The Kodi database only supports a year (like 1964) and has no option for storing month and day. I would welcome if that could be changed but it probably requires major code changes. The best chance is to make a feature request for the next version of Kodi and hope a programmer is willing to invest his/her time in this.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
(2015-02-23, 20:07)PH-SYM Wrote: Back to the original question: The Kodi database only supports a year (like 1964) and has no option for storing month and day. I would welcome if that could be changed but it probably requires major code changes. The best chance is to make a feature request for the next version of Kodi and hope a programmer is willing to invest his/her time in this.

Yea, that's pretty much the conclusion I've come to. I could tell it only sorted by Year but wasn't sure if that's just how it was or I had a setting wrong. As I've said the Years sort correctly but within each year there is no real order to what is listed where that I can determine.

What I'm surprised by is Themoviedb lists a Year-Month-Date for each movie, so when coding Kodi, the devs decided to just take the Year, which surprises me. I understand if the information isn't given, but it was, and it's not being used ... unless themoviedb used to only give a Year and has been updated. While I'd love the accuracy of being able to use the full date to sort it's not an important feature request. I'm sure any stability/bugs etc are more important. Was just making sure it was nothing on my end.

Thanks for the replies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How does Kodi sort by Year?0