1080XF name reverted to Xperience1080
Since the changes made in 3.45+ are extensive and take the skin back to what people expect, I've decided to revert the name of the skin back to Xperience1080. This will start from the next Helix version onwards.

Why am I doing this?
1) I've put a lot of effort into trying to balance the features of Xperience1080 with the changes of 1080XF - I feel the new version achieves this.
2) It makes it far easier for me to keep track of changes and collaborate with xhaggi, as well as merge requests and other parts.

Will I need to do anything?
When I submit the new version to the repository you'll need to remove the 1080XF directory - or leave it. No, is the simple answer, but you will need to set you skin up again (sorry).

What about the Skin Testing thread, does that change?
No, the version that will be submitted to the repository will be the exact same version many of you have been testing.

What about the different themes?
The new default theme will be Xperience1080, the extra theme will be 1080XF - the current default textures you see in screen shots.

Do you have to do this?
No, but it's much easier to keep on track with git changes and general development.

What will happen to this sub-forum?
It will be renamed back to Xperience1080.

Have you asked anyone from Team Kodi about this?
Yes, I've contacted one member to ask whether or not this would be acceptable, it is.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
That's a shame, 1080XF was coming up as the first skin in the Skin section...going back to Xperience1080 put's it way down the list alphabetically again Smile

But it's cool either way.
Argh, this will reset all my settings and Widgets....
I have absolutely no problem with your decision.
1080XF was really only meant to be temporary name, but it sort of stuck around.

I really liked the new name and I really don't get it why a change of name (2 times) was necessary…
Agree. I see no real reason to revert back. Please consider if it´s not too late yet Wink
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2015-02-23, 19:30)mkortstiege Wrote: Agree. I see no real reason to revert back. Please consider if it´s not too late yet Wink

It's not too late as I haven't submitted the newest version yet, but I think it's best as it causes confusion -- although it also appears this might cause confusion. Since I'm not allowed to use both names at the same time (as per Team Kodi) I have to make a choice.

I have considered stripped back the changes made and releasing a 'vanilla' - but updated - Xperience1080, again that is an issue with using two names for more or less the same skin. Argh.

(2015-02-23, 19:25)Cassiel Wrote: I really liked the new name and I really don't get it why a change of name (2 times) was necessary…

Would agree with this, not sure what changing the name achieves, this skin is an evolution of the original skin and so is the 1080XF name.

s[/align]etting up with skin is a very involved task, custom home icons, custom widgets, custom backgrounds, and forcing all users to reset their settings will just serve to annoy them.

That's just my thoughts, But as I always say, it's your skin, without your efforts I wouldn't have any of it!
(2015-02-23, 19:35)dsmuk Wrote:
(2015-02-23, 19:25)Cassiel Wrote: I really liked the new name and I really don't get it why a change of name (2 times) was necessary…

Would agree with this, not sure what changing the name achieves, this skin is an evolution of the original skin and so is the 1080XF name.

Setting up with skin is a very involved task, custom home icons, custom widgets, custom backgrounds, and forcing all users to reset their settings will just serve to annoy them.

That's just my thoughts, But as I always say, it's your skin, without your efforts I wouldn't have any of it!

Now opinion appears to be split - people have asked for both so I hope you can see why it's a choice I need to make.

The alternative option is to keep it as 1080XF and provide a personal repository containing Xperience1080 - but that's going to cause further confusion. I see both sides of the debate, I just don't know which to pick.

Edit: The underlined part is especially something to consider. Since the next release will be the final one for Helix (possibly any bugfixes but it's been in beta for a month), I need to choose. I've already started on the Kodi 15.x version.

I don't mind either way, but if it's a choice, I vote keep it 1080XF as the default theme and name. I see both sides of it, but ultimately for me it comes down to people are now used to the new name.

Skins evolve all the time and you;ve gone the extra mile and provide the original as well. Many skins don't. Some keep the same name but completely changed the theme and design, and that causes no end of confusion. Because of the name change, people will get is different, but also have the added choice of the original theme. Best of both worlds.

I would also hazard a guess that by this stage in kodi dev, anyone planning on upgrading to helix already has and is using 1080XF and used to it. Anyone still on Gotham is happy using their Xpereince1080 and probably not coming over anytime soon. When they come over, it will be a simple case of pointing them towards 1080XF.

Another way to look at it - Two choices mentioned already - Change it and potentially annoy the people who a are already using it by resetting their settings - Even if you explain to them what has happened, knowing the internet and how it is, they would still froth at the mouth and proclaim the world is about to explode Smile

Or keep it and deal with the people migrating over and wondering where Xpereince1080 is. Worst case, they will only be a little confused, but fine once they realise whats happened. Maybe some light mouth frothing.

Although, you mention in the OP it's easier for you to maintain git etc. This may actually be the deciding factor, so whatever is easier for you to continue work is what you should go with.
(2015-02-23, 20:18)eskay993 Wrote: I don't mind either way, but if it's a choice, I vote keep it 1080XF as the default theme and name. I see both sides of it, but ultimately for me it comes down to people are now used to the new name.

Skins evolve all the time and you;ve gone the extra mile and provide the original as well. Many skins don't. Some keep the same name but completely changed the theme and design, and that causes no end of confusion. Because of the name change, people will get is different, but also have the added choice of the original theme. Best of both worlds.

I would also hazard a guess that by this stage in kodi dev, anyone planning on upgrading to helix already has and is using 1080XF and used to it. Anyone still on Gotham is happy using their Xpereince1080 and probably not coming over anytime soon. When they come over, it will be a simple case of pointing them towards 1080XF.

Another way to look at it - Two choices mentioned already - Change it and potentially annoy the people who a are already using it by resetting their settings - Even if you explain to them what has happened, knowing the internet and how it is, they would still froth at the mouth and proclaim the world is about to explode Smile

Or keep it and deal with the people migrating over and wondering where Xpereince1080 is. Worst case, they will only be a little confused, but fine once they realise whats happened. Maybe some light mouth frothing.

Although, you mention in the OP it's easier for you to maintain git etc. This may actually be the deciding factor, so whatever is easier for you to continue work is what you should go with.

Made me laugh Tongue

As for the big reason - Github and keeping things in order. I currently update my fork of Xperince1080 and 1080XF - I'm copying edit between skins just to keep them both maintained. It's not ideal and waste of time, as I'm sure you can see.

Also xhaggi (as mentioned in the skin) updates parts and I update parts - he uses Xperience1080 and I use 1080XF... it would be far simpler just to stick to one = less time wasting, easier to keep track of changes etc.

The only downside is the loss of skin customisations. However, it shouldn't take more than five minutes to set up. I recently switched all my HTPCs to the newest version of Xperience1080 and it took me less than a minute to change the bits back that I liked.

Edit: As you pointed out, people are still using Gotham - that's fine. But only Xperience1080 is available in Gotham. If they have support questions it can cause confusion as they can't find the skin on the forum. I can answer most questions Gotham users will have - I'm sure you can see where I'm going with that point.

So, in terms of practical points (i.e. excluding things like "because I like the new name", or "i just don't like things changing in my life")

Xpereince1080:
+1 for easier maintenance
+1 for easier work with xhaggi
+1 for people using Gotham and not finding the support forum.

1080XF:
+1 for not losing settings

Clear winner there. And as I say, for me better work flow for you guys supersedes any minor inconvenience. Reasonable people will understand that.

To be honest, I actually planned ahead and haven't been doing any major skin customisation during all the testing knowing it would all get reset anyway Wink

Plus, you can keep your settings if you edit guisettings.xml and search/replace the old name with the new name (I think.. Iv'e tried that before and I can't remember if it worked or not lol)
(2015-02-23, 21:00)eskay993 Wrote: So, in terms of practical points (i.e. excluding things like "because I like the new name", or "i just don't like things changing in my life")

Xpereince1080:
+1 for easier maintenance
+1 for easier work with xhaggi
+1 for people using Gotham and not finding the support forum.

1080XF:
+1 for not losing settings

Clear winner there. And as I say, for me better work flow for you guys supersedes any minor inconvenience. Reasonable people will understand that.

To be honest, I actually planned ahead and haven't been doing any major skin customisation during all the testing knowing it would all get reset anyway Wink

Plus, you can keep your settings if you edit guisettings.xml and search/replace the old name with the new name (I think.. Iv'e tried that before and I can't remember if it worked or not lol)

All you've written nicely sums up what I've been trying to say Smile

(2015-02-23, 21:00)eskay993 Wrote: +1 for easier work with xhaggi

+1 Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080XF name reverted to Xperience10800