Seek / Time problems with large video file
I have an AVI file that is 18GB. I cannot fast forward, rewind, or otherwise seek using the remote (only play and pause work) and the keyboard seeking is also not working (putting in a position time or seeking a number of seconds). Also, when I do get a few minutes into the video and exit, when I return it starts at the beginning (even though normally starts where I exited). The end time for the video is blank when paused.

I think this could be one of two issues : 1) Either the file is too big for kodi and there is a "seeking" bug or 2) there is something odd going on between my file share and kodi (I'm using a somewhat older version of samba on linux). Other files work great, it's just this larger one so far that has these problems.

Fire TV (non rooted)
Kodi - 14.1-Helix-armeabi-v7a
Samba - Version 3.2.5-0.23.fc10 (kinda old)
Look like the file header is possible corrupt, use Media info and see if the file details are correct.
You might need to re-obtain another version of the avi.
(2015-02-23, 05:13)k4sh1n Wrote: Look like the file header is possible corrupt, use Media info and see if the file details are correct.
You might need to re-obtain another version of the avi.

Thanks for the reply. I can open the file in VLC (without warnings/errors) and can seek around the video. I also opened it in XMedia Recode and it listed the "media info" with no problems. It says the duration is 1882:44:30, file size is 17276.36MB and it's a DIVX/MPEG-4/1280x720 video. I don't see any kind of corruption using those tools.
...Why do you have an AVI file with a run time of 31 hours? (Or 2.61 months if I have that decimal wrong. o.O)
From my conversion, I also get a 2+ months run time.
How long is the file supposed to play for?
(2015-02-23, 08:35)k4sh1n Wrote: From my conversion, I also get a 2+ months run time.
How long is the file supposed to play for?

Ha, I didn't notice that. It's supposed to be about 5 hours. Oddly enough, VLC sees it as having the right length. That info came from XMediaRecode.

I'm going to convert this to a different format (maybe mp4) to see if re-encoding it corrects the problem. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else I can do (there is no other source for this file).
Use mkvmerge or similar to simply re-wrap it into a different container - no need to convert it to a different format - you've almost certainly simply got a broken AVI file and remuxing it will fix it.

Just hope that it doesn't try to do it in real time, or you'll be there until Easter Smile
(2015-02-23, 18:25)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Use mkvmerge or similar to simply re-wrap it into a different container - no need to convert it to a different format - you've almost certainly simply got a broken AVI file and remuxing it will fix it.

Just hope that it doesn't try to do it in real time, or you'll be there until Easter Smile

+1 on 'Prof Yaffle idea

I personally use handbrake to remux, but with your VLC user case scenario, it should be able to although limitedly fix some corrupt .avi headers.

Refer: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/12311-vlc-alwa...-avi-files for instructions.

Give Google a wiz, there may be other free programs that might be able to fix your issue in a simpler fashion, before going down above route.
Thanks for the help. I ended up using XMediaRecode to turn it into a mp4 and now it works fine. The original file was an 18GB avi and now it's a 6GB mp4. Not sure if I lost a some quality along the way, but it fixed whatever was wrong and it's a lot more Kodi friendly now. I will try to remux it at some point as well to see if that works.

Thanks.
(2015-02-24, 20:05)h1d3m3 Wrote: Not sure if I lost a some quality along the way

Merely for the record: "yes, definitely". Whether it was quality you need, or whether you can notice... ah, that's subjective, but it's 100% certain that something was lost on the journey.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Seek / Time problems with large video file0