Win Make Kodi File Manager behave like Windows Explorer
Hi,

I want to use the File Manager integrated in Kodi to browse my local computer and launch the files with the program associated in Windows.

For example.

1. If I attach a USB Stick to my PC, I want all the drives available to show up in Kodi's file manager. Right now I have to add each drive manually via "Add Source" option, which can be very tiresome if your partitions change at each boot. It would be good to have "My Computer" as source.

2. If there are images or movies on the drive, I want the program associated with that file type in windows to launch and not view these files inside Kodi.
For example Windows picture manager schould be launched and show the image file, or Potplayer (my default Mediaplayer) schould be launched when I open a video files. Basically i want the Kodi media file manager to behave like WIndows Explorer.

Right now Kodi tries to launch everything inside itself. For example media files are launched inside Kodi. I know that you can tell Kodi to use a external player for media files. But that is too complictaed for my purpose and I do not want to do that for each file type. I'm happy with the file association on windows and I just want Kodi to behave plain and simple like WIndows explorer and use the file association from windows.

Is there some easy way to tell Kodi's file manager to behave like windows Explorer
Kodi is a multi-media player, it plays just about any media you throw at it. It's cross platform, in that it handles quite few operating systems outside of windows, Linux, Android and Apple and there is stand-alone versions to be considered, in all something like windows explorer is integral with the operating system, you have over 100 people at MicroSoft wokring full paid jobs to produce this simple file system for you (took them over 10 years and they still haven't got it right! and it costs a bomb). Kodi is a free open sourced work in progress, by part time developers (not paid, and have regular jobs to stay alive) and you're asking them to build an operating file system to fit your expectations on a half dozen platforms.

There's a Forum for feature Suggestions. I should mention that you could always contribute code or donate to this objective, anything would be appreciated.
If you don't want to watch/use your media inside of Kodi, then why do you install and use Kodi?!

Kodi just isn't a simple explorer, it's more like a media management system - taking away from you the burden to find adequate players in the first place...
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Make Kodi File Manager behave like Windows Explorer0