HELP: Buying advice needed J1900 or AMD A4-5000 solution?
Hello all,

been using XBMC when it was developed for xbox. That same experience brought me back to xbmc/kodi. Need some help here. I have posted same questions on OpenELEC, only to realise that I have not yet cleared whether I should go for Windows or Linux.

So, I have a case from a Fujitsu Scaleo C system that seems to be able to accept mini-itx boards. Would be ok perhaps with an android-based stick or something, but I do have a couple of needs:

* system must have a toshlink (optical digital) output, to be able to drive my 15 year old Yamaha A2 5.1 (beasty) amp. No HDMI there. Just Dolby AC-3 and DTS 5.1 decoding
* android is good, but there are no upgrade paths. On a motherboard things are much more flexible
* Finally, the system should be able to transcode 7.1 streams as well as anything that can not be handled by my amp (AAC multichannel for example) to something my amp understands (eg AC-3). I believe that Kodi and OE should do that, not sure though
* I could setup Windows 7 64-bit on the system or Linux/Kodibuntu/OpenELEC. Sole use will be Kodi though, nothing else.
* I will connect a 200 to 500Gb 3.5 HDD (fits nice on the scaleo case) plus a DVD-ROM.

I have DDR3 RAM DIMMs (both SO- as well as normal format) lurking around. Plus 2.5/3.5" HDDs, an intel e5400 (or is it E5200), an MCE remote, a Geforce 9500 and a 500W PSU (yes, I know it's an overkill). After reading and reading and reading, it seems that the following two Asrock boards-with-cpu are ok solutions, to use along with some of the stuff I already have:
* www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900-ITX/
* www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/QC5000-ITXPH/

The intel solution sells for 10 euros more expensive than the amd one. Both seem worthy, with the J1900 based Q1900-ITX having the upper hand due to its lower power requirements and better performance, whereas the AMD-based QC5000 has the advantage of being able to push into higher resolutions, an added displayport interface, plus the support for a full-length PCIe card (in case one wants to complement with a GT630 card). OTOH, I've read some disturbing reports regarding openelec playback issues on the AMD Kabini platform.

Question time:
1) Will both boards be ok regarding my 3 requirements above? Especially the transcoding any audio to AC-3 5.1?
2) Should I go to Linux or Windows? Like I said, sole use will be Kodi, but I am thinking driver issues (video and audio passthrough)... Apart from that, I'm at home with either operating system, no problem there.
3) Any preference for one over the other motherboard, and if so, why?

Searching for Q1900-ITX throws much MUCH more results than the AMD cpu/board combo. I presume this is a really tried solution for Kodi. Whereas the AMD Kabini seems to be having quite a few issues with graphics performance and pass-through audio. Still I love the idea of just adding a nvidia gt630 (whereas I can't do that on the q1900-itx).

Any help will be appreciated!

PS: I've played around with the idea of going mATX, in which case I could a Q1900-ITX version with the same price and with room for installing a discrete GPU. But I'd have to look for another full size case...
I would avoid AMD whenever humanly possible.
Hmmm, you're scaring me mate Smile So, better stick with J1900?

Also, can you please throw your 5 cents on my other questions?
(2015-02-24, 14:02)carmik Wrote: Hmmm, you're scaring me mate Smile So, better stick with J1900?

Also, can you please throw your 5 cents on my other questions?

I HAVE ASROCK J1900-ITX DC VERSION WITH A LAPTOP CHARGER , 2 HHD EXTERNAL + 2 INTERNAL HDD ...IT WORKS BEST WITH XBMC + UTORENT
I wanted to buy the same J1900 for Kodi. It is a bay trail CPU. There are some problems regarding bay trails. You can search in this forum.
(2015-02-24, 13:58)Ned Scott Wrote: I would avoid AMD whenever humanly possible.

This, especially if you are considering Linux at all.

Thank you all for your replies, you have been most helpful.

Based on the info above I ordered the Intel solution. Only to cancel it an hour later because:
1) the case did not accept mITX boats after all, so I was looking into a bigger case and an extra expense,
2) my wife discovered about this project, which had a rather minimal WAF Sad

So I ended up looking into an RPi 2 as a solution....

Again, than you all for your interest and sorry for wasting your time.
Every box can have a high WAF. The WAF is all about how well you program your Logitech Harmony remote that hides all the complicated bits from her.

Good luck!

The low WAF was due to the huge mini ITX case I intended to introduce in the living room Big Grin

Plan B (RPi 2) got thrown in the wastebasket, since no optical audio out is offered (damn!). So it is back to the J1900 (most likely) or A4-5000 (slim chance, from what the general consensus here is like)...

Now I must find a slim case to do the job...

PS: Have a Windows Media Center remote, I guess it would be ok for Kodi. No WAF issues there Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HELP: Buying advice needed J1900 or AMD A4-5000 solution?0