HOW-TO:Modify the video cache
The advancedsettings.xml file changes I previously mentioned here were fine except when streaming HD content that included 5.1 surround. I then found that dramatically increasing the cache size in the settings was the only tweak I had to make, so I'm changing the post to reflect that.

This solution has worked on a computer running Windows 7 Ultimate, 8 GB of RAM and Kodi. So if you are creating an advancedsettings.xml file from scratch using this method and it doesn't improve performance, just delete it afterwards. It you already have an advancedsettings.xml file, copy and save what's inside it before you make the suggested changes and, should this method not improve performance, go back into the file and replace my content with the old and re-save it. This sounds complicated but just takes a couple of minutes.

First...Before getting Kodi I added the advancedsettings.xml file to my XBMC userdata folder. When I downloaded Kodi the information in the file changed. So I would suggest clicking Start and typing userdata (see NB at bottom of page) in the Search box. Click userdata and see if you have an advancedsettings.xml folder listed. If you do, click on it, copy and save the settings somewhere just in case, then replace the settings as follows:

If you have 8 GB available RAM, copy and paste the settings you see below. (Don't have 8 GB? See that number 209715200? If you have 6 GB change cachememberbuffersize to 157286400, 4 GB change it to 104857600, 2 GB to 52428800).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<advancedsettings>
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>209715200</cachemembuffersize>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

Then click File, Save as, Save.
Open (or close and restart) XBMC
Enjoy.

If you don't see an advancedsettings.xml file in your userdata folder just do the following:

Right click in an open area below the files and folders in userdata
Put cursor on New and scroll over and down and click on Text Document
Look up at the list in userdata and right click on NewTextDocument.txt
Click Open. (You may have to click elsewhere in the folder then go back and right click on NewTextDocument.txt if the Open option doesn’t appear.)
If you have 8 GB available RAM, copy and paste the settings you see below into NewTextDocument.txt . (Don't have 8 GB? See that number 209715200? If you have 6 GB change cachememberbuffersize to 157286400, 4 GB change it to 104857600, 2 GB change it to 52428800).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<advancedsettings>
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>209715200</cachemembuffersize>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

Click File
Click Save As
In the File name box type advancedsettings.xml
Click Save
Open (or close and restart) XBMC
Enjoy.

NB: Sometimes Windows Explorer won't show your userdata folder just from typing it into the Search box after clicking the Start button. If not, try this: Click Start, Computer, C drive (or the drive where your XBMC or Kodi is stored), Users, then click on whatever your user name is, AppData, Roaming, XBMC (Kodi if you are right up to date), userdata . If you aren't sure what your user name is, then after clicking on Users click on each available option until you see AppData and continue with Roaming, then XBMC (or Kodi), then userdata.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO:Modify the video cache1