Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue
(2015-04-19, 00:23)bym007 Wrote:
(2015-03-20, 04:10)InfoJunky Wrote:
(2015-03-20, 04:07)bym007 Wrote: So, it sleeps with the screen saver. And how do you wake it up ?

Just pick it up and press a button once or twice. It usually takes 2 or 3 seconds to wake up.
I tried your suggestion and it works good. Normally I dont need to press any key as well, it just wakes up automagically.

Yeah it seems the FireTV Stick remote has a motion sensor in it. You can really just shake the controller around a bit and it will wake the box from suspend.
Excellent information on this thread! Thanks for sharing your setups. I also just recently got a Chromebox and configured the Amazon Fire TV remote (not the stick). I have three AFTV boxes and a bunch of android boxes (Kdlinks, HiMedia, VidOn) and personally - I LOVE the AFTV remote compared to the others! Hands down my favorite!

Off the bat, the only button that did not work after pairing, was the Menu (context-menu) button (using OpenELECT 5.0.8 - time of this writing). I fixed this issue with a keyboard.xml file.

I normally turn off the Chromebox, once I'm done using it. So I definitely do not like the fact that once the Chromebox is off, the AFTV remote cannot turn the Chromebox back on. That said, I will put above information to the test, as I did notice the bluetooth would disconnect once the Chromebox went into Suspend mode (thus my reason of shutting it down)

Thanks again for the info and will confirm my results.
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 20.2 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Integra DRX 3.4 w/ Dirac Live Atmos 5.1.2
(2015-05-07, 22:52)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: I normally turn off the Chromebox, once I'm done using it. So I definitely do not like the fact that once the Chromebox is off, the AFTV remote cannot turn the Chromebox back on. That said, I will put above information to the test, as I did notice the bluetooth would disconnect once the Chromebox went into Suspend mode (thus my reason of shutting it down)

you can only power on the ChromeBox from suspend, whether from IR remote, BT remote, or wake-on-lan. BT doesn't disconnect when you suspend the ChromeBox, you can wake it from suspend with a BT remote just fine. Most people seem to have the opposite problem with the AFTV remote, since the gyro in it causes undesired wakeups.
(2015-05-08, 01:07)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-07, 22:52)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: I normally turn off the Chromebox, once I'm done using it. So I definitely do not like the fact that once the Chromebox is off, the AFTV remote cannot turn the Chromebox back on. That said, I will put above information to the test, as I did notice the bluetooth would disconnect once the Chromebox went into Suspend mode (thus my reason of shutting it down)

you can only power on the ChromeBox from suspend, whether from IR remote, BT remote, or wake-on-lan. BT doesn't disconnect when you suspend the ChromeBox, you can wake it from suspend with a BT remote just fine. Most people seem to have the opposite problem with the AFTV remote, since the gyro in it causes undesired wakeups.

So far, my setup is working fine. I have enabled sleep after 15 minutes of idling. So once I am done using it, I just let my remote sit untouched, and the Kodi sleeps by itself. When I am ready to use it again, I just pick up the remote and the device wakes up by itself in about 2-3 seconds. For me this is the normal time required to pick up the remote and settle on my couch. So it is perfect.

Ocassionally, I find Kodi awake on its own, but it has been such a rare occurance, plus the fact it is soundless and less power hungry, I never bothered to investigate.
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
I am happy to report, that your suggestion worked.

Paired Bluetooth remote again via connect option (not connect and trust)
Screensaver: 3min.
Power Saving:
shutdown function timer: 10min
Shutdown function: Suspend

Just like you said, the Chromebox goes into Suspend and by simply picking up the remote, the Chromebox wakes up. Pretty cool.

HOWEVER, I did experience I a weird issue. Once the Chromebox woke up, I immediately noticed that I lost function of the Menu button again. I immediately went to look at my keyboard.xml file and noticed that the file name was changed to the following:

keyboard.xml.bak.0

Rebooted system and the file name still remained with the name change. I then had to remove the .bak.0 from the file name in order to get the keymaps working again. This happened last night so this was the 1st thing I checked this morning... as of now, the file name hasn't changed again. But will have to keep an eye on that. Weird, no?
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
Guys can I ask the PS3 remote will the batteries last a while if I use the suspend option you guys mention ?
I used to have one and it ate batteries in a few days.
Sadly don't have fire remotes to try , and I can't find any cheap on eBay to try .
I sold my PS3 remote because of battery issue but will pick up another if batteries ok.

One last thing, if chromebox is in suspend not draining batteries, does chromebox light flash? Of can this be switched off?
Sorry for all questions[THUMBS UP SIGN]
(2015-05-12, 22:16)Sniffer77 Wrote: Guys can I ask the PS3 remote will the batteries last a while if I use the suspend option you guys mention ?
Theoretically, yes, it should work the same as our Fire TV Remote. But, I cannot confirm this, as I do not have that remote.

(2015-05-12, 22:16)Sniffer77 Wrote: One last thing, if chromebox is in suspend not draining batteries, does chromebox light flash? Of can this be switched off?
While the Chromebox is in Suspend mode, the light (white LED in corner) does NOT flash. (At least Not that I've seen before) As a matter of fact, it is completely off.
(2015-05-15, 16:00)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote:
(2015-05-12, 22:16)Sniffer77 Wrote: Guys can I ask the PS3 remote will the batteries last a while if I use the suspend option you guys mention ?
Theoretically, yes, it should work the same as our Fire TV Remote. But, I cannot confirm this, as I do not have that remote.

(2015-05-12, 22:16)Sniffer77 Wrote: One last thing, if chromebox is in suspend not draining batteries, does chromebox light flash? Of can this be switched off?
While the Chromebox is in Suspend mode, the light (white LED in corner) does NOT flash. (At least Not that I've seen before) As a matter of fact, it is completely off.
Mine shows a constant white light while switched on, and off when off/suspended.
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
(2015-05-15, 16:57)bym007 Wrote: Mine shows a constant white light while switched on, and off when off/suspended.

Correct. White Light on, while the Chromebox is on. No light when it's Off/Suspend.
Thanks for the replies guys, will check re the suspend light as I may have done something wrong .
I've got the asus chromebox and just installed standalone openelec (used the install latest beta version option). Got the FireTV Stick remote working. Used just 'Connect' option. Screensaver 3 min, Suspend in 10 min. This all works.. but it doesnt resume on suspend by shaking the remote, but if i hit a button just one time, it instantly comes back from suspend. Its so quick it makes me feel like the remote isnt in standby mode. There doesnt seem to be any indication that standby is turned on in the bluetooth section. There's always just the option that says Enable Standby. Always says that, never Enabled/Disabled. When I hit enable it goes back to the bluetooth devices screen. Is this normal?

edit: went ahead and downgraded to stable release 5.0.8, everything behaves the same except the Enable Standby option changes to Disable Standby after I enable it. But it still boots right up on 1 keypress after its in standby mode, and doesnt wake up based on shaking the remote. Still don't know if the remote is in standby or if its just draining the batteries..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue0