Forum changes
Can we do a few things to reduce the annoyances with the forum:

- Increase the signature length from 300 to 400 characters (I need this to add some guide URL's to my sig)
- Reduce the time between searches from 20 seconds to 5 seconds (This has bugged me many times)
- Reduce the minimum search characters to 3 so we can search for short words easier

Cheers.
(2015-02-26, 10:51)zag Wrote: Can we do a few things to reduce the annoyances with the forum:

- Increase the signature length from 300 to 400 characters (I need this to add some guide URL's to my sig)
- Reduce the time between searches from 20 seconds to 5 seconds (This has bugged me many times)
- Reduce the minimum search characters to 3 so we can search for short words easier

Cheers.

+1 to all of the above.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
a NO to #3 because this would kill the DB from what I know (fulltext search of MySQL requires 4 letters min - so we would have to turn off that feature which would end up in sloooooow searches)
Are any Team Kodi members able to edit the garbage bin? I only ask because mods are not able to move items out of there.

(2015-02-26, 11:08)da-anda Wrote: a NO to #3 because this would kill the DB from what I know (fulltext search of MySQL requires 4 letters min - so we would have to turn off that feature which would end up in sloooooow searches)

The default is 4 but you can change mysql to use 3 with:

Code:
[mysqld]
ft_min_word_len=3
(2015-02-26, 10:51)zag Wrote: - Increase the signature length from 300 to 400 characters (I need this to add some guide URL's to my sig)
I can do this, although you could just use url rewriters like goo.gl and bit.ly. Also, looking at your and Piers' signature they are a good example of why we set it to 300 in the first place.
In general, the signature should not be consistently longer than the post.

(2015-02-26, 10:51)zag Wrote: - Reduce the time between searches from 20 seconds to 5 seconds (This has bugged me many times)
Not now. This is being heavily misused by people and puts enormous load on the server. Not until we have a new server.

(2015-02-26, 10:51)zag Wrote: - Reduce the minimum search characters to 3 so we can search for short words easier
No. This causes the search database that is being created by MyBB to bypass the maximum table size in MySQL. It also causes enormous load on the server.
Last time we tried this, the database crashed and corrupted. Even if we change all the settings to allow for it (I did it in development) the search becomes incredibly slow.
Our MyBB forum is really big and we have had to optimise it because MyBB really doesn't handle large forums well. This is one of those optimisations.
The workaround is to use google to search our forums for smaller words.
(2015-02-26, 12:56)Kib Wrote:
(2015-02-26, 10:51)zag Wrote: - Increase the signature length from 300 to 400 characters (I need this to add some guide URL's to my sig)
I can do this, although you could just use url rewriters like goo.gl and bit.ly. Also, looking at your and Piers' signature they are a good example of why we set it to 300 in the first place.
In general, the signature should not be consistently longer than the post.

Hint taken and signature adjusted.

(2015-02-26, 12:56)Kib Wrote: I can do this, although you could just use url rewriters like goo.gl and bit.ly.

Nice workaround! The google shortener works well.
(2015-02-26, 11:08)da-anda Wrote: a NO to #3 because this would kill the DB from what I know (fulltext search of MySQL requires 4 letters min - so we would have to turn off that feature which would end up in sloooooow searches)
If possible please look into enabling '*' (star) and '%' (percentage) wildcard search, so that way a truncation search for example "xbm*" would count as a 4 letter search.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30704...dcards-and
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_wildcards.asp

This would act as a partial workaround for three letter search for people who know to search with wildcards, enabling the search for example Vu+ by searching for "vu+*"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Forum changes0