4k Ready HTPC
i have just gotten a 4k tv (got it dirt cheap so had to take it Wink ) and im gotten tired of my slow rpi

my question is, what hw is nessesary to play 4k and upcoming 4k standards (and can you get hw acceleration for x265 yet?)

i prefer intel cpu's, was thinking a "low end" Intel i5 cpu (or is that overkill?) its gonna be placed in a mATX/mITX case

im all for a discrete card in future to help with 4k hw acceleration if no cpu/igpu supports it now

will also be used a bit for steam streaming so need to hadle that to in 1080p (would guess the strain between 1080p and 2160p isnt that much on the htpc itself)
See the sticky thread "Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)". It mentions 4K.

I personally would't worry about 4K and x265 yet. Hence I went with the AFTV (less than $100) for my current needs. It a year or two, it might be a different story.
Get a NAS and separate the data from the client. Then you will be ready for whatever client hardware comes down the line.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
nice reading, so i can easily downgrade my cpu to a i3 with no real performance loss playback vice

is 265 hw acceleration a thing yet?

and does kodi do blue-ray playback from disc yet?
there isnt any movies released in 4K yet is there? Better to be ready though i guess
i know, thats why i dont mindt adding a cheap discrete card in the future as long as the rest of the system is up to it
Unless you really need a HTPC for other uses apart from 4K/1080p video streaming, pre built hardware such as the Chromebox is more cost effective with far less stuffing about setting it up these days. Its 1080p/4K capable up to 30Hz. 1080p H264 video is a breeze.
But then your RPi is capable of 1080p too. You need to Overclock it to get the most out of it if you have not already done so.

Wait for Intel's Skylake microarchitecture late this year so you can both encode and decode H265 video properly, everything up to that release will be a stop gap measure and a waste of money IMHO. When that happens a small Intel NUC will be more than capable.

For BluRay playback from disc, i believe you need to run Windows that calls an external video player from within Kodi.

i need a blue-ray drive as well, thats one of the reasons (wifes ordre, she sick of the rpi Tongue )
forgot to mention it, but really want to be "ready" for 4k 60hz (or even 4k 3D 60/120hz?)

will think about waiting for skylake....but wanna build a new computer now Tongue

gonna use it for som steam in house streaming aswell from time to time, and ofcouse youtube and other streaming services (not that those are very demanding Tongue )

edit: actually found a good article about this now, (from last year tho)

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5609/the...s-and-gpus
If you want 4K @ 50p or 60p to connect to a consumer 4K display you will really need to use a board with HDMI 2.0 (there are only a few of these at the moment) I have a feeling the new Broadwell NUCs are still HDMI 1.4 :-(

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4k Ready HTPC0