Live TV Stream to Kodi when no antenna point
Hi All

Apologies if this has been covered before but I couldn't quite figure the correct search terms to find it if it was.

I have a TV in Lounge 2 connected to an ATOM Windows Home Theatre PC (HTPC) BUT this TV doesn't have a TV antenna point in wall to the roof aerial. Tried using an internal antenna but the signal inside house is rubbish for digital signal. At the moment, the kids are just using this TV to play movies off HDD.

I was hoping to install Kodi 14.1 onto the HTPC and try to use a client add-on to "hook" to a PVR (as yet not purchased) from the TV in Lounge 1 to gain Live TV streaming to this TV in Lounge 2.

1. Is there a list of PVR/STB's that are supported by the available client add-on's in Kodi to do this, or what do users recommend?

2. Is this the best way to gain Live TV on this non aerial TV in Lounge 2? Open to suggested solutions.

Cheers
Jangles
First, you should look in the wiki (sorry for stating the obvious, but many people seem to miss it. Here is a starter link for you: PVR (wiki)

Place a PVR backend with a tuner in it wherever the antenna connection is available.

Run kodi with PVR client for that backend anywhere in your house that has a decent network connection to the backend.

As another wrinkle, the HD Homeun is a network connected tuner, so it needs to be near the antenna connection, but the backend computer just has to be networked to it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-27, 08:35)nickr Wrote: First, you should look in the wiki (sorry for stating the obvious, but many people seem to miss it. Here is a starter link for you: PVR (wiki)

Place a PVR backend with a tuner in it wherever the antenna connection is available.

Run kodi with PVR client for that backend anywhere in your house that has a decent network connection to the backend.

As another wrinkle, the HD Homeun is a network connected tuner, so it needs to be near the antenna connection, but the backend computer just has to be networked to it.

Thx nickr, I had seen the wiki hence the line before my 2 questions on potential solution.

I'm just trying to see if forum members know of PVR's (eg beyonwiz T3 as example or HDHomeRun tuner you mention) that support being a networked tuner and have kodi client add on's that can connect to them. I just found it hard to find a list of those. Maybe I'm searching the wrong way and should rather look at the kodi clients and what they use to find PVR/STB's that support it, eg VU Plus uses Enigma 2 based STB.

If I add a HTPC on Lounge 1 then I can just use NextPVR and its kodi client but looking for "off the shelf" PVR in first instance rather that software backend on pc etc.

Cheers for replying, it further clarifies that this solution is the way to go as I have good network coverage and speed and can use the software solution for backend in Lounge 1 (if don't find suitable off the shelf PVR) and kodi client in Lounge 2 without access to aerial point. Just not wanting to build a HTPC with "x" tuner cards etc (yet) in finding turn key PVR that will appear as network tuner kodi can see.
The HRHomerun is NOT a pvr backend. It is simply a tuner. It has no recording abilities so without a computer running backend software it is not PVR. Simply having a networked tuner that a kodi client can access over upnp or similar does not have recording abilities.

There are commercial PVR solutions like an Enigma box which can themselves as backends for Kodi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Did you look into this - http://www.vboxcomm.com/uk-freeview-and-freesat.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV Stream to Kodi when no antenna point0