• 2(current)
"Adjust Display Refresh Rate" vs "Sync Playback to Display"
Has anyone got sync playback to.display to work on android for 24p content at 50hz? When I try to do it the playback remains at 23.976 it's a beelink mxq. The sync playback works perfectly on my windows computer but seems to do nothing on the android.

I also tried openelec and it won't work i'm just trying to get the 4% speedup for 24p content to work on the beelink mxq but no matter what settings I use (50hz refresh rate, adjust refresh rate disabled, sync playback to display enabled) it just ignores the settings and plays at 23.976 (24hz).
What would be the best setting for an Panasonic Plasma that supports 24p ??

"Adjust Display Refresh Rate" or "Sync Playback to Display".??

Btw im NOT running passthrough just Multichannel PCM over HDMI as my MacMini is connected through my AVR to my TV.
as macmini can't output true 23.976 fps you would need to tick both (adjust display refresh rate will give you 24hz, sync to display will pull it down to 23.976). Thats the theory.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Has anyone come up with a plan for the AFTV?
(2015-04-21, 11:15)Memphiz Wrote: as macmini can't output true 23.976 fps you would need to tick both (adjust display refresh rate will give you 24hz, sync to display will pull it down to 23.976). Thats the theory.

Hmm.. at the moment i have everything turned of on my late 2011 mac mini, OS X 10.10.3

Setup: MacMini with HDMI -> Denon AVR-1611 -> Panasonic TH-50PZ800 50" Plasma that supports 24p @ 1080p the specs say its a 100 hz through HDMI 1.4 cables. (Sources are shared from NAS with NFS not SMB through gigabit router.)

What is your recommendation i use it for Blu-Ray / Remuxes and WEB-DL 1080p Tv Shows only!.

Kodi video settings atm:

Settings-> Video->Playback-> Adjust Display Refresh Rate-> Off (What is the rec. setting here? On with Pause or Allways?)

Settings-> Video->Playback-> Sync Playback to Display-> Off (What is the rec. setting here? On? and what to choose in A/V sync method?

Settings-> Video->Acceleration->Allow hardware acceleration(VDADecoder)-> Off (What should it be?)

Kodi sound settings atm:

Settings->System->Audio Output-> Audio Output Device ->Set to HDMI
Settings->System->Audio Output-> Number of channels -> 5.1
Settings->System->Audio Output-> Resample Quality-> High

Passthrough i have disabled as i read in one of your earlier post that multi channel LPCM is better than passthrough, it actually helped alot turning passthrough off. Went from fallouts in the sound every 2-3 minutes to once every 20 minutes.

Everything is in Sync except i get these damn fall outs i have tried changing HDMI cables even changing the input on my AVR. I must confess i havent tried playing anything since disabling VDAdecoder setting but will give an update on that ASAP!

Any help is great appreciated.!
Seems like by the lack of concrete answers everyone with an Android box is confused by this. I know I am.
(2015-04-26, 11:50)Rod Pocket Wrote: Seems like by the lack of concrete answers everyone with an Android box is confused by this. I know I am.

There is no "sync playback to display" for Android because this platform lacks an implementation of video reference clock.
(2015-04-26, 12:14)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2015-04-26, 11:50)Rod Pocket Wrote: Seems like by the lack of concrete answers everyone with an Android box is confused by this. I know I am.

There is no "sync playback to display" for Android because this platform lacks an implementation of video reference clock.

Thanks for clearing that up.

In practice, what does that mean to us, the end users?
That means that you don't have "smooth video". That means the video goes with actual speed of display and audio is resampled to that speed. Assume you want to play some 24fps material on a 23.976 display or vice verse. Or 24 fps on a 50hz display. Without "sync playback to display" video gets synced to audio. In the case of 23.976 on 24hz you would notice a slight stutter in video every approx. 40 sec.
(2015-04-26, 12:56)FernetMenta Wrote: That means that you don't have "smooth video". That means the video goes with actual speed of display and audio is resampled to that speed. Assume you want to play some 24fps material on a 23.976 display or vice verse. Or 24 fps on a 50hz display. Without "sync playback to display" video gets synced to audio. In the case of 23.976 on 24hz you would notice a slight stutter in video every approx. 40 sec.

I can see what you mean about Android audio drivers being a nightmare. Is there any setup on Android that could enable you to play sources of different frame rates without sync issues, for instance, having it processed at the TV or receiver end?
(2015-04-21, 22:09)Bon3 Wrote: Settings-> Video->Playback-> Adjust Display Refresh Rate-> Off (What is the rec. setting here? On with Pause or Allways?)

Set it to "start/stop" - and see if this already solves your problem

(2015-04-21, 22:09)Bon3 Wrote: Settings-> Video->Playback-> Sync Playback to Display-> Off (What is the rec. setting here? On? and what to choose in A/V sync method?

If the "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" didn't help - turn sync to display to on and then try the various a/v sync methods.

(2015-04-21, 22:09)Bon3 Wrote: Settings-> Video->Acceleration->Allow hardware acceleration(VDADecoder)-> Off (What should it be?)

Well normally i would say it should be off for helix (due to some issues) and on in isengard (because we use ffmpeg hw decoding here which works nicely).

Kodi sound settings atm:

(2015-04-21, 22:09)Bon3 Wrote: Settings->System->Audio Output-> Audio Output Device ->Set to HDMI
Settings->System->Audio Output-> Number of channels -> 5.1
Settings->System->Audio Output-> Resample Quality-> High

those are fine
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
As this topic is linked to via the Wiki - which is highly visible through Google, when searching for this issue -

Could you elaborate a bit more on the value of -

Settings-> Video->Playback-> Sync Playback to Display

being enabled on a Android device - which outputs 60Hz and a TV that always expects 60Hz

Is the difference that in one case (disabled) Kodi does the 3:2 pulldown and in the other case (enabled) Kodi does framedoubling to 50hz and then speeds up the playback (in another way?!) to 60hz? Is the second part even possible on an android device?

As of right now - is there even a difference in how Kodi handles the material on those two settings - because of the hardware limitations? Would the result not always be a 3:2 pulldown, regardless of this setting?

I'd appreciate some in depth answers.
The Android port lacks an implementation of a video reference clock and as a result "Sync Playback to Display" won't work. The setting should not be available on those platforms.
Thank you for your prompt feedback -

It is in 14.2 - here is a screen capture I just pulled from my Fire TV Stick running Kodi.
http://i.imgur.com/u2zmQVJ.jpg

Or is this only an empty menu shell and the option doesnt trigger anything?

I still would be interested in the differences on a display always expecting 60hz - could you go into this a bit more? (If the platform supports a "plattform video clock"). Whould there be a difference between enabled and disabled?
(2015-05-22, 17:05)harlekin Wrote: Or is this only an empty menu shell and the option doesnt trigger anything?

It may try to trigger something but in the end it will fail because of the reason given. Ask the Android devs why this is not hidden.

(2015-05-22, 17:05)harlekin Wrote: I still would be interested in the differences on a display always expecting 60hz - could you go into this a bit more? (If the platform supports a "plattform video clock"). Whould there be a difference between enabled and disabled?

Yes there would be a difference. 23.976 does not fit into a 3:2 cadence on a 60hz display. A working "sync playback to display" would change speed slightly to get a match. Audio would be resampled to the new speed. This way you don't get bothered by any glitches in video caused by dropped frames.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Adjust Display Refresh Rate" vs "Sync Playback to Display"1