Looking to get an HTPC
I would like to get a mini pc to use to run Kodi(hooked up to my tv), and do some editing of raw photos. I have one of those WD live tv box, which is solid, but I am liking the idea of a desktop based box as it would be more feature filled(and faster). Right now I am looking at few choices.

Asus EB1037 uses a Bay-Trail quad-core Celeron(J1900), but in this particular version it's paired with a Nvidia 820m(from their webstie, but amazon and another page referred to the gpu as GT820m). 350-400usd for a built one(or if really wanted to about $160 for a barebone and go from there). I think I saw another model with a differen Nvidia gpu, but not certain.

Another option I was thinking of is one of Chromebox(probably the Asus since it's easy to upgrade the ram and HDD) models, which I have seen go as low as $100 for a model with 2955U, 2gb of ram(which of course I would upgrade), and 16gb SSD(have a 1TB external, but probably upgrade to 64gb). I would probably install Linux, more likely Kodi.

I've also noticed HP offers a Chromebox like(same specs) device the Stream Mini, but with WIndows 8.1 and 32gb of SSD for about $180. Their Chromebox model has one ram slot, but can be upgrade, but not sure about this model. I like this model, not for windows, but the fact that installing Linux/Kodi maybe a bit easier. There is also a model with a slightly faster Pentium cpu(not sure if gpu is faster than the Celeron though), 500gb HDD, and I think 4gb of ram, for about $310. Not sure if that's worth paying a little under double for just extra space and a barely faster(?) computer. For about that same price HP and Asus offer Chromebox models with i3 cpu & 4gb of ram; however, space is still at 16gb. :-\

In my searchings I've noticed there is a FitPC Fitlet(which the MintBox is based on). I like the size, and how it looks, but not sure about the AMD hardware(specifically the quad-core A4 and A10 4.5w models). But the price is fair at under $300. I take Kodi can work with this particular AMD cpu?

I know in single core performance the Haswell Celeron is faster, but in multi-core tests(and possibly in the real world) the Atom based quad core Celeron is faster. Intel gpu is better on the Haswell Celeron(Pentium or i3), but not sure how the haswell gpu compares the Nvdia 820m. It also, seems like the AMD models are a bit behind the Celeron based Atom in the Asus, but GPU is better than the other models I am looking at? Or is this incorrect?

btw is there another compact/mini option to look at in the under $400(preferably under $325) range that I may have missed? Thank you!
You could look at the Lenovo Q190, the Zotac Zbox Ci320, C1520, Ci540 or the Bi320. You could check out the Intel NUC boxes. General convention seems to point most towards the Chromebox. I chose the ZBox Bi320, because it fit my personal needs.

Check out the Sticky:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268
Would device with a quad core j1900 atom and NVidia 820m gpu be better or a device with Haswell Celeron? Or would AMD A4/A10 model with R3 gpu be a better choice for video and streaming playback?
Playback of what exactly? What resolutions, frame rates, and codecs?
720p video in mpeg-4(not sure the frame rates), 1080p youtube videos, netflix.

I thought about a little more but I am now thinking maybe i3 Chromebox as the gpu is suppose to be a little better at least over the Celeron model.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to get an HTPC0