Solved RaspBMC as 'remote' client?
Folks -

I've done a lot of searching so apologies if I've missed it somewhere, but I am looking for straightforward how-to on a couple of things.

I have a stable HTPC that I'm using as a movie/music library, streaming device and cable box/PVR. I just got a RaspBMC kit for my bedroom that I want to connect to my main HTPC and have access to live TV and the libraries (including recorded TV shows).

I've got RaspBMC running, but where can I find directions for setting this up, or am I asking too much?

Thanks in advance!
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
http://kodi.wiki/view/Media_sources

This and the links within should explain quite a few things... The wiki is your friend and often can be your savior...
Thanks for the prompt response - only had time for a quick review thus far but it looks good, i'll advise back once I have a chance to dig in.
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
See also syncing and sharing (wiki)
Thanks for the directions -- I had to fight an issue where Rasmbc showed connected to my but K,odi showed no connection (moved the wifi dongle to the farthest from the Ethernet port), and have added my move collection (playback is pretty choppy, is there a threshold for wifi router speed?)

However, I follow the same steps to connect to my music collection but nothing shows up -- is there a different step?

Finally, maybe I'm missing it but I don't see how to access Live TV from the 'server' XBMC instance using similar methods?
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
And PVR (wiki)
You set it up the same as you did on the main machine.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
You'll be better off running a cat5e cable if you can. Or just get a switch off you have another connection in the room.

I recommend SMB shares... Just follow the guides. Remember to reboot Windows or run the automatic troubleshooter after setting up the shares. Windows doesn't seem to make share setting changes on the fly.
nicr - Thanks for the reply.

I re-read the PVR wiki and think I'm either not explaining what I'm trying to do -or- I'm trying to do something that isn't possible -- and that is, get Live TV on my Raspberry Pi (B+) with *no* tuner function. I'm wanting to install a PVR add-on on the RaspBMC (client), which would then connect with my main HTPC in the family room for the backend (server).

That HTPC runs XBMC Gotham and has the Ceton InfiniTV-4 tuner card with ServerWMC as the backend.

I'd also like to be able to use the RaspBMC client to view programs recorded on the HTPC.

So, if this scenario is clear, is it possible or am I nuts?

Thanks!
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
Of course it is possible. PVR comes in two parts, server (backend) and client (frontend).

Your family room PC is both backend and frontend.

Set up the Rpi as a frontend using the wmc client, which is the same as setting it up the client part on the family room PC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
DOH! That's what I thought but not being overly 'techie' I guess I was looking for idiot-proof step-by-step directions.

Thanks for confirming, I'll give it a go this evening and let you know.

One more thing -- do you recommend a specific skin for RaspBMC? I'm happy to trial-and-error, but obviously welcome sage advice!
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
Update - after clicking the button to activate Live TV my Pi went thru a cycle of constantly restarting, but it settled down and I can now pull the EPG and see recorded shows from the XBMC server.

However, nothing actually plays. Nothing happens when I click on show from the EPG or select a recorded program.

Also weird, I can see movies but cannot see my music when using the same UPnP connection method.

Two steps forward, one step back . . .
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
Using pvr.wmc you probably need to supply credentials to view live tv and recordings. In the Server.wmc on the host pc go to the folders tab and enter a user/pass that has access to the host pc in the credentials section then click save.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Dilligaf - thanks for the reply, but the primary XBMC server has no 'user' profile, account or PW so I'm a little confused why credentials would be needed? If that's the issue, wouldn't it prevent the RaspBMC box from showing the EPG or ripped movies?

Or am I misunderstanding?
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR
Files and guide are displayed from a different socket. In Windows a share that is shared with "Everyone" is NOT shared with "Anyone" only to users known to the Windows machine so you must supply a valid user/pass to non Windows clients. Just go to ServerWMC and supply a user/pass that is known to the Windows machine, what have you got to loose? Once the credentials are entered you may need to restart ServerWMC. Pvr.wmc/ServerWMC subforum is here http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Quick update -- my RaspBMC fell into the endless restart loop so I had to rebuild:

1 - Reinstall from NOOB
2 - Connect Ethernet and allow updates to run
3 - Configure for Movies via UPnP - runs great (way better than wifi)
4 - Configure for Music the same was as done for Movies - nuthin', don't even see the albums
5 - Configure for Live TV
a - Add user ID / PW to server in family room
b - Enter key for MPEG on RaspBMC
c - Enable pvr.wmc addon and configure to point to the server in the family room (ServerWMC / Ceton)
d- Enable 'Live TV'
e - LOOP LOOP LOOP LOOP LOOP LOOP

My interweb searches show this loop issue is a thing, but no real explanation on what causes it -- since I've got ServerWMC / Ceton running on the backend, can I use *any* of the front-ends? And any idea why I can see/play movies but not music?
Win10 64-bit
Kodi 20.1 / Mimic-LR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBMC as 'remote' client?0