Can't find certain info about wi-fi remote
I've decided to make my HTPC on Kodi (kodibuntu 14.0rc) with remote control over wi-fi from my android tablet. I don't need htpc to connect to internet, i want to use wi-fi only for remote control. And as I don't have any experience with wi-fi, I've got a question: how do i set up direct wi-fi connection (like in bluetooth - one device trasmits 'ready for incoming connection' signal, second device connects) between android tablet (have installed yatse and kore) and my kodi htpc (tp-link usb dongle, gets recognized in desctop session and sees neightbours networks)? Is it possible at all? Or do I need to buy wi-fi router, setup local network and then connect both htpc and tablet to it?
I am sorry if i haven't explained clearly enough, or for any mistakes - english is not my mothertongue and i have little practice using it (sadly).
It's very easy....just set up your kodi with static IP adresses. Enter subnet mask and a IP adress and leave out the entries for a DNS and the gateway. So the HTPC isn't able to access the internet but is able to comunicate with other devices in your local network.
I don't understand little bit. Where do i have to do this setup? in kodi itself? in kodi desktop session?

I found a bypass solution, but it is not really acceptible option to me: i make a wi-fi hotspot on my tablet and connect to it in kodi desktop session, after that i launch kodi media center and connect to it manually (by entering ip address manually as autoscan in android application doesn't find anything). Problem is - for that i need display and i will not have one. Currently i use my main pc monitor, but i wanted my htpc as music only, without any screen.
You said:

1.)
Quote:I've decided to make my HTPC on Kodi (kodibuntu 14.0rc) with remote control over wi-fi from my android tablet. I don't need htpc to connect to internet,

This means to me, you have an wifi router, a working internet connection and you want to control your HTPC with some android app and you want to prevent your HTPC of getting online in general.
For this...exit Kodi, start desktop session, go to network manager and change your network settings as I mentioned above (static IP for the HTPC, 255.255.255.0 as a subnet mask, don't enter anything in the "gateway" and "DNS" settings). Then your HTPC has no gateway to connect to the internet, but is able to be accessable over your local network with your android app. Not really a "direct connection" but it does the same.

2.)
As it seems now, you don't have a Wifi router at home, don't you? I thought about this, because you said, you set your tablet as hotspot in your last posting. That wasn't mentioned before. And if I understand correctly you want to set your HTPC as a WLAN hotspot, correct? I don't know if the needed packages are already installed on kodibuntu. But if not, you can do it yourself:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/how-to-se...ccess.html

Maybe this helps. But this is really not a kodi related question rather than an OS/Ubuntu question. So it should be asked in ubuntu forums. You might get better answers.

Running kodi without a screen might get you further issues with the HDMI handshake (if you use HDMI to your amp). But you will see.

So....if you have a wifi router at home, follow the first thing....if not, the second.
It's the second one. I thought that this function is present in Kodi,but I just cannot find it. Thanks for the answer, i'll be trying that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't find certain info about wi-fi remote0