Transcode DTS to AC3 and output multichannel to TV
Hi everyone,

I'm using kodi on a Surface Pro 3, which is connected to my TV - A Philips 42PFL6008

In windows, when I look at the capabilities of the TV audio input it mentions "Max Number of Channels: 2"

The TV does not support DTS decoding so all the DTS audio tracks need to be transcoded.

No matter how I set the audio output in kodi, my TV always get a stereo signal, which I believe is caused by the TV only reporting 2 channels.
My plan is to add a Sonos Playbar to it and then probably some surround speakers, the Sonos Playbar will be connected to the TV via the digital audio output.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get 5.1 AC3 encoded audio when I connect the playbar?

Thanks
Most tvs don't pass through ac3 to their spdif out anyway. Why no do spdif direct from htpc to soundbar?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi nickr

Thanks for the reply. On the audio out options of the TV there's an option for multichannel, so I suppose it outputs multichannel via SPDIF.

Two reasons for not connecting the surface pro 3 to the soundbar:
1 - No SPDIF output on surface pro 3 Smile
2 - It would make the soundbar useless for the other input sources
Yeah I don't have any other inputs, the tv is not even connected to an antenna.

Back to the topic, what exactly are your audio settings? AFAIK there is away to output ac3 from dts input.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So, the settings are:
Number of channels: 5.1
Output configuration: Optimized
Stereo Upmix: On
Maintain Original Volume on Downmix: On
Resample quality: High

Thanks
Channels should be 2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Transcode DTS to AC3 and output multichannel to TV0