Why does my refresh rate change to 23 Hertz after I start playing a file?
I have had XBMC 12.1 installed for a long time.

I am a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Well, the receiver on our old Media Gate media center remote died, so we had to go back to our older WMC remote.

I installed the Keyboard Mapping plugin, tried making some changes (so the volume would work) and the plugin messed up other settings for the remote - so I switched it back to defaults.

That's all.

Now, whenever I play a movie (any movie), the selected refresh rate on my video changes from 60 Hertz down to 23 Hertz.

I can go in and set it back to 60 Hertz:

Then go in and play any movie from our networked media drive, the display flickers a couple of times whenever the movie starts, then it looks like crap.

I stop the show, go back to the display settings, and again it is sitting at 23 Hertz. If you will notice below, the icons don't even fit correctly on the display - I can only see about half of them:

What in the world is going on?

This just started happening today, and everyone is rather annoyed by it.

This happens with videos, movies, and even recorded TV (using WMC Server).

Even the on screen display for the program looks like something cheesy.

As soon as I stop the video and back out to the XBMC main screen, it is all cleared up and my video settings are back to where they were.

Has anyone ever heard of this before?
Under Settings->Videos->Playback there is an option to Adjust display refresh rate to match video. Assuming the files you are playing are 24fps movies, the behavior sounds like this is enabled. I'm pretty sure it defaults to off so its strange if this got enabled.
Below are my existing settings.

I notice today that you cannot tell from my screenshots, but when my video's refresh rate is dropped to 29 Hertz, my screen goes from looking High Definition (when running at 60 Hertz) to looking like an old Atari video game.

In other words, video is horrible at 29 Hertz - but this is obviously on the screen only. It does not manifest itself in the screen captures.

Turn off adjust display refresh rate to match video
&
Possibly sync playback to display (turn on if your sound or picture goes off sync)
(2015-03-02, 17:50)k4sh1n Wrote: Turn off adjust display refresh rate to match video
&
Possibly sync playback to display (turn on if your sound or picture goes off sync)

Those settings have been that way for ...probably a couple of years.

I can change them, but I do not think this will eliminate the issue of XBMC changing to 16-colors and choppy playback whenever I start any video.
You can try and use moninfo and do an EDID override if display setting aren't detecting properly
Hey k4sh1n,

One of us is not understanding the other here - and it is probably be me not understanding you.

My XBMC has been working fine for a long time.

Since Sunday (yesterday), whenever I attempt to play ANY video from our media drive in XBMC, the display flickers twice, and then the display goes to junk.

The only way I know how to describe this "junk" is the screen no longer fits correctly on the HD flatscreen television, the graphics presented by XBMC goes from smooth and graceful to chunky and pixelated. Even detecting the mouse on the display becomes difficult (it acts like the graphics processor is too busy to display the mouse image).

About 5 years back, I did create a type of .inf file for my monitor, an LG 42LH50 LCD display. It seems like I used EDID override to create that. I have it stored on my media drive, and I can look at installing that again.

Are we talking about the same thing?
Yes, were talking bout the same inf.
If you have automatic updates turned on, perhaps a new driver has overwritten your previous .inf.
I don't know what caused it to go away.

I am one of those who refuses to use Microsoft Updates. I think they are evil. Smile

Setting the .inf again seems to have fixed the issue. I don't know what "unset" it. Maybe installing that Keyboard plugin.

Anyway, I'm good now.

Thanks.
It could be a intel update as opposed to the MS one.
You could look at the event logs to see if there were any software changes relating to the graphics adaptor.
Strange that a keyboard would change graphics settings though, glad it works in the end.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why does my refresh rate change to 23 Hertz after I start playing a file?0