HD Channels flickering with PCTV 461e
Hi,
I have a PCTV 461 USB DVB-S2 satellite Tuner connected to a Raspberry Pi 2 with OpenELEC 5.0.5 onboard though everything is working fine, I'm experiencing some flickering on HD channels, since they became green and then with some square, it seems that the hardware is not powerful enough to reproduce the flow ...

How can this be possible since I've activated the codecs for MPEG 2 ?

There are set top box receivers that with a processor less powerful and less memory available are perfectly able to reproduce HD flow (DVB-S2).

Is there some configuration on KODI that I should enable to let the HD content to be reproduced without hassles ?

Thanks .
What are the channels? And are they FTA or encrypted?

I have had no problems with my Pi2 viewing BBC HD (1080i) and SVT HD (720p) channels - which are H264 not MPEG2 - using a Technisat USB DVB-S2 tuner and TV Headend. SVT 1 HD runs at up to 14-15Mbs a second at 720/50p.

Unless you are in the US, Canada, Mexico, Japan or Aus it is likely that your HD broadcasts are in H264 (aka MPEG4) not MPEG2. MPEG2 is only used in Europe (apart from a few cable platforms) for SD broadcasts. HD in Europe is almost always H264 (and thus doesn't need an additional licence as H264 decoding is included with every Pi)

Have you tried disabling OMXPlayer and just using MMAL acceleration (It's an option in Settings->Video->Acceleration - you may have to select Advanced/Expert to see it)
Hi, and thanks for responding .

The channels are Italian FTA, like for example SuperTennis on HotBird 13E.

How can I disable OMXPlayer ? From Enabled Addons ?

Thanks
OMX Player and MMAL Acceleration are options in System->Settings->Video (I think)->Acceleration - though you may have to select Advanced or Expert settings to display this option.
No way .
I-ve tried as you suggest but same results ...
Passing to vdr solved the problem, the question now is : why it doesn't work with tvheadend ?
No, I thought to have solved too early !

After passing to vdr I noticed improved performance on some HD channels, but after carefully testing, I have to say that the situation still the same aside from some exceptions .

For example going to RT News HD on Hotbird 13E I'm experiencing a lot of flickering and sometimes green overlays and squared image .

What can cause the problem ?

I've tried to overclocking and assigning 320Mb of RAM to GPU with no luck .

It is the main problem that I have at the moment, and that I can't find a way to solve . Could it be a driver issue ?
This sound like this https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/3833 problem.
But the fix is already in (at 5.0.x not at master).
Maybe try a master build who has not this patch maybe it won´t work with the rpi.
Ah - so it looks like an issue with the PCTV461 driver?
Hi,

same here pctv 461e stick together with pi2, tvheadend and kodi, works all well but on hdtv flickering and tvheadend H264 continuity errors.

To me it helps a little bit to set the framerate in kodi to 30fps but thats not the way how it should work.

Regards
If you get continuity errors in tvheadend then something is either wrong with your hardware, your reception or your drivers.
I am experiencing a similar issue on my HP Elite notebook under Arch Linux using softhddevice plugin. I have got the TT S2-3600 USB-box that is based on PCTV 461e (used kernel module dvb_usb_pctv452e). I cannot watch any HD Hotbird(13E0)-channels, neither Supertennis HD nor any othe HD channels, nor FTA nor HD channels from provider NC+.
I get very similar issues with HD channels on Hotbird(13E0) if I try to use kaffeine instead of VDR, so I am afraid there are bugs in the PCTV461 kernel-module.
All HD channels on Astra(19E2) seem to work properly on the same HW.
Cheers
If only one of two satellites works, maybe the problem is in your dish/LNB?
There are no issues with the same HW constellation (dish, LNB, switch matrix, cables) if I only boot my notebook under Win7 (I have got a multi-boot system) and use the original TT-viewer downloaded from the TT home page. So, I assume that there are bugs the involved kernel module(s).
Cheers
I still have issues with pctv 461e , in particular c-band dvb-s2 muxes. Video is very stuttery and pixelated. Some transponders are complete green screen and crash the system.

Tried with everything.. windows AND linux software/drivers.

I think the driver is not fully checked

trust me reception works crystal clear switching the cable to an Amiko Alien 2. perfect reception on all satellites , fine tuned

so as the above poster said , it is a driver issue with this adapter

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD Channels flickering with PCTV 461e0